Wilson Gold - interesting fact...

1 minute ago, JimKirk said:

Interesting...was not aware. Will verify with our recent stock.

One thing that happens on multiple gear is some retailers have stuff sitting around for years or they don’t rotate their inventory. Could be something from years back, but I trust your opinion enough to take a fresh look from our inventory.

I’m curious too. Might be a one-off.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note also, we have been providing a free harness upgrade in the box since 4th Qtr 2020 with each W Gold CP purchase. Seems the right thing to do. May do with Platinums if we can get more stock in

...taking a page from @MadMax ...  still charging a premium price for a 25 year old + design!  Max, ... GO!

They are different sizes 

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry but the West Vest Gold which I wore for a decade and a half is officially out dated. The cheaper more effective Colbalt All Star has raced past Wilson at 100 mph. Basically the term New & Improved or Game Changer seem to describe the current situation of Colbalt AS vs WV Gold. I will keep mine as a back up but may never wear it again in action. Simply a collectors item to a by gone era.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

I'll have to check out the Cobalt All-Star. It looks nice. And much less bulky then my Platinum.

I've tried it, the shoulders fit me oddly, so I still prefer my Gold over it.  I realize that's my situation and it will vary for others of course.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:37 PM, wolfe_man said:

I’m curious too. Might be a one-off.

Didn’t forget about you.

Here is what we clarified with our stock - measuring top of padding to bottom of padding:

S/M - 11”
M/L - 12”
L/XL - 12 1/2”

Obviously not the same, but also not drastically different. It definitely validates the biggest differences in sizes of the Wilson Gold CP are more to do with differences in width sizes rather than length ones.

• Thanks 1
On 4/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, JimKirk said:

S/M - 11”
M/L - 12”
L/XL - 12 1/2”

Obviously not the same, but also not drastically different.

And I have this hunch that the actual height of the carapace plates themselves are the same, and the difference is made up in the spacing between plates. Of course, why would you (by "you", I mean the MLB guys who we (Wilson) are making these for) need shorter or taller CPs when the majority of your umpires are the same height? Oh sure, the one-off extremes, like Wegner and Guccione can use the smallest one, while the other extreme – Jordan Baker – ehhh... he'll be fine! You guys have a pro-level, adult-sized catcher in front of you! You don't need an extension, your tummies will be fine! 

On 4/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, JimKirk said:

It definitely validates the biggest differences in sizes of the Wilson Gold CP are more to do with differences in width sizes rather than length ones.

But yes, definitely, you have differences in width. We're talking Vic Carapazza to Fieldin Culbreth differences. 

On 4/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, MadMax said:

If you had Cece make a CP for you, you wouldn’t ever wear another.

He made my first hardshell, which I wore from 1999-2007. I then switched to the Platinum, then the Douglas, then the Cobalt.

The Carlucci was the best for its time, and if you are fortunate enough to still have the same measurements to which it was made, it is probably still the most comfortable you would find for yourself. Protectively, I would say it is slightly behind the other three I've used and ahead of the Gold. It's the feel and look that's the tradeoff.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Matt said:

He made my first hardshell, which I wore from 1999-2007. I then switched to the Platinum, then the Douglas, then the Cobalt.

The Carlucci was the best for its time, and if you are fortunate enough to still have the same measurements to which it was made, it is probably still the most comfortable you would find for yourself. Protectively, I would say it is slightly behind the other three I've used and ahead of the Gold. It's the feel and look that's the tradeoff.

I STILL wish I had the money to get a Carlucci back in the day. It wouldn't still fit me. That's for damn sure! But that thing would get sealed in a box and go into the attic!