Wilson Gold - interesting fact...

Picked up a Gold from a retiring buddy last week.  His is a M/L per the tag.  My own Gold is the L/XL.  Per Wilson's specs, there is a 1" difference in CP between the sizes... but  challenge you to look at these photos and then tell me which is the larger one.

Wilson Gold M-L.jpg

Wilson Gold comp.jpg

Wilson Gold  L-XL.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note also, we have been providing a free harness upgrade in the box since 4th Qtr 2020 with each W Gold CP purchase. Seems the right thing to do. May do with Platinums if we can get more stock in

...taking a page from @MadMax ...  still charging a premium price for a 25 year old + design!  Max, ... GO!

They are different sizes 

Posted Images

Hint: There is no size difference! They're the same plastic and padding!   The only difference is the neck opening on the M/L is a bit snugger than my L/XL - and the main chest plate is wider on the L/XL by about 1".  

4 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Hint: There is no size difference! They're the same plastic and padding!   The only difference is the neck opening on the M/L is a bit snugger than my L/XL.   Either this was an error by the factory (tagged a L/XL as M/L) or Wilson is pulling a marketing move by offering different sizes of CP when they're all the same size anyhow.  Hey, at least they charge the same for all sizes ($159+).

:rolleyes: ...taking a page from @MadMax ...  still charging a premium price for a 25 year old + design!  Max, ... GO! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

:rolleyes: ...taking a page from @MadMax ...  still charging a premium price for a 25 year old + design!  Max, ... GO! :D

25+ years old or not, still my favorite CP and I've had them all but Carlucci and the Power.

4 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

25+ years old or not, still my favorite CP and I've had them all but Carlucci and the Power.

Original West Vest by Douglas?  (NOT a standard Douglas, ...the original) 

4 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Original West Vest by Douglas?  (NOT a standard Douglas, ...the original) 

I had the Wilson version, not the actual Douglas but I've seen/held them.  I didn't care for the moveable chest piece personally.   I've had several other Douglas though, the black ones and the gray.  They're very good CP's also, probably my #2.

Just now, wolfe_man said:

I had the Wilson version, not the actual Douglas but I've seen/held them.  I didn't care for the moveable chest piece personally.   I've had several other Douglas though, the black ones and the gray.  They're very good CP's also, probably my #2.

the moveable chest center piece is why it's so good ... it's customizable! :nod: 

2 minutes ago, kylejt said:

If they are really the same size, how do so many umpires use them? 

Kyle, you already know the answer to this and we don't need Max to spell it out for anyone. The answer is cause the big league guys use them. We did the same as kids with playing equipment. Bought the glove with our favorite player's name on it, etc.

Us umpires are no different! Why do so many of us have Nike or MAG masks? Cause we see them on MLB umpires and players on TV originally and think "damn those look cool!"

That MLB logo on the Platinum and Gold carry A LOT OF WEIGHT in the amateur community.

On 3/31/2021 at 1:20 AM, kylejt said:

If they are really the same size, how do so many umpires use them? 

Have you not seen, or have you not heard the lament about, how so many umpires wear their CPs wrong? They wear them low and loose (like a shop apron), because when working lil’ kid ball, which gets hit more? The clavicles, or tummy? 

I completely believe that both models of Gold are the same vertical size, with the difference being in the width. You can see it in the photo! Not only is the neck opening visibly larger, but the breastplate and “diaphragm” plate are visibly wider. 

On 3/30/2021 at 12:29 PM, wolfe_man said:

... all but Carlucci and the Power.

If you had Cece make a CP for you, you wouldn’t ever wear another. And after it’s been revealed that the Riddell Power is actually the Gold’s elder (instead of a Power being a Gold copy), then I can tell you, as a fellow gear geek, the Power is your holy grail. 

“What is the average airspeed of a swallow in flight?” 
“African or European?”

On 3/30/2021 at 12:17 PM, wolfe_man said:

Hey, at least they charge the same for all sizes ($159+).

I beg your pardon!!! If only they charged that, I wouldn’t hold such seething contempt for them! 

29A01C7F-2D19-4760-935A-D64F4914FF63.thumb.jpeg.7c74813ad382c6ee8ac679e4e44d6569.jpeg
I don’t care what Ump-Attire charges for it, if Wilson’s own webstore has that as the price, then that’s what they’re valued at. And that is a crock of sh!t. And, neither of them come equipped with the “new” flex-knockoff harness??!! You have to pay an additional $20 for it, a part that should have been included in these suckers 10 years ago?!?! 

Yes, I’m in full-tilt rant mode. :hopmad:

On 3/30/2021 at 12:25 PM, Thunderheads said:

for a 25 year old + design!  Max, ... GO!

This is the singular reason I loathe and despise Wilson so very... very... much. As I’ve said before, the Wilson Gold unit, itself, is a serviceable CP. If you were to plop one down on the bench, devoid of its (garish) big gold W, I’d remark that it is a good CP. If you were to say that it’s 25 years old, I’d reply with, “Figures. It’s still using sofa-cushion foam, but it looks protective enough”. Would I wear it for a game? Sure. Would I buy one? As it currently sits, with having to buy an additional (proper) harness, and no option available to add an abdomen pad/plate, nor a service available to replace that wretched, pathetic upholstery foam pad (ala Team Wendy... hear that @Razzer ??), then it’s an emphatic “No”. 

Don’t even show me the price, because I’ll fire back with a “F#€k off, get bent!” 

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

This is the singular reason I loathe and despise Wilson so very... very... much. As I’ve said before, the Wilson Gold unit, itself, is a serviceable CP. If you were to plop one down on the bench, devoid of its (garish) big gold W, I’d remark that it is a good CP. If you were to say that it’s 25 years old, I’d reply with, “Figures. It’s still using sofa-cushion foam, but it looks protective enough”. Would I wear it for a game? Sure. Would I buy one? As it currently sits, with having to buy an additional (proper) harness, and no option available to add an abdomen pad/plate, nor a service available to replace that wretched, pathetic upholstery foam pad (ala Team Wendy... hear that @Razzer ??), then it’s an emphatic “No”. 

Wish I had been more knowledgeable about gear when I first started, bought a platinum and honestly am not super happy with it. But with these kind of rants no way anyone on this site gonna buy it! :lol:

Note also, we have been providing a free harness upgrade in the box since 4th Qtr 2020 with each W Gold CP purchase. Seems the right thing to do.

May do with Platinums if we can get more stock in...had been limited for one reason or another.

9D2990CE-D86B-4127-A044-18645F0281D9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

we have been providing a free harness upgrade in the box since 4th Qtr 2020 with each W Gold CP purchase. Seems the right thing to do.

It is the right thing to do! Which they (Wilson) can’t even be bothered to do! You’re doing their job for them! 

U-A is so under-appreciated. 

know you and your staff are in fairly regular contact with Wilson; obviously, something is disconnected back in their corporate chain. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

Note also, we have been providing a free harness upgrade in the box since 4th Qtr 2020 with each W Gold CP purchase. Seems the right thing to do.

May do with Platinums if we can get more stock in...had been limited for one reason or another.

9D2990CE-D86B-4127-A044-18645F0281D9.jpeg

I saw this too - excellent move by Ump-Attire!  This is why you're #1.  You care about the customer!

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

I wrote an article on lengths and sizes of Golds years ago that is still relevant.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Blog/NOT-WHAT-YOU-THINK-Lengths-of-Wilson-Chest-Protectors

Note: Your article says the sizes vary in length; however, what I found in comparing a M/L to a L/XL is that they are the same length, but the width is different.  The M/L is about 8.5" across the main chest piece whereas the L/XL is 9.5" wide.   As shown above in photos, both have the exact same length on the chest plastic measured from top-to-bottom.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, Radie 88 said:

Everyone just gonna ignore the cartoon logo sticker?

Anyone else customize like that?

It's a run on my last name (Wolfe).  My "W" was all scratched up, so some black duct tape covered it up and then I thought it needed some color, so the old car logo went on there.  Just a note, it is not visible while I'm wearing my umpire shirt.  I made sure it sits below my throat opening.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

Note: Your article says the sizes vary in length; however, what I found in comparing a M/L to a L/XL is that they are the same length, but the width is different.  The M/L is about 8.5" across the main chest piece whereas the L/XL is 9.5" wide.   As shown above in photos, both have the exact same length on the chest plastic measured from top-to-bottom.

Interesting...was not aware. Will verify with our recent stock.

One thing that happens on multiple gear is some retailers have stuff sitting around for years or they don’t rotate their inventory. Could be something from years back, but I trust your opinion enough to take a fresh look from our inventory.