NFHS Baseball vs Softball Game fees

Game Fees NFHS Varsity Baseball vs Softball  

11 members have voted

1. 1. In your area, are your varsity NFHS game fees...(Please add your state to the discussion)

• Higher for baseball
    • The same for softball & baseball
    • Something else (Comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2021 at 04:59 AM

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, SB umpires do have to hear all of that chanting that probably stays in their head for a few days after... Maybe its compensation for that?

In So Cal where I am, we are a chapter of the CBUA (California Baseball Umpires Association) which as the name implies is mono-sport only. Several of our members do both for the separate HS associatio

Really wish you hadn't asked that question.  I ended up going to the UIL site - Controllers Of All Athletics in Texas - and looking up the softball fees.  The same. Now I'm all mad.

Posted Images

855F222C-9244-47F4-9F4C-62FDD0ED8F1F.pngThe only difference between boys/girls pay is baseball/softball. All others do not differentiate. I know probably not part of your study but when we have baseball/softball games together, the softball umpires are gone at least an hour before me usually.  This is fresh on my mind because tonight between games I was speaking with the lady that was doing the softball games and she was joking about how she be out at least an hour before me. We had a blowout and ended in the fifth inning and I waved goodbye to her while she laughed in C.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, aaluck said:

855F222C-9244-47F4-9F4C-62FDD0ED8F1F.pngThe only difference between boys/girls pay is baseball/softball. All others do not differentiate. I know probably not part of your study but when we have baseball/softball games together, the softball umpires are gone at least an hour before me usually.  This is fresh on my mind because tonight between games I was speaking with the lady that was doing the softball games and she was joking about how she be out at least an hour before me. We had a blowout and ended in the fifth inning and I waved goodbye to her while she laughed in C.

Thank you. These are exactly the stories I'm seeking. Appreciate your insight. 

Ohio pays the same for both.   The softball guys/gals are always done before us, sometimes hours before if a DH or TH.  I just can't bring myself to do softball though, but my cousin and brother did.   They make the same money with far less time involved when you average it out to an hourly rate.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Sure...but the question is general....does baseball make more than softball? 

Same answer though - I have no idea how much softball umpires get paid.

11 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Is your baseball association separate from your softball association? 

What is this "association" of which you speak? ;) 

Here, each school contracts with their own umpires. Several of them contract out the assigning bits to others (leagues or regional 3rd party groups), but the schools themselves write the checks directly to the umpires.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

What is this "association" of which you speak? ;) 

Here, each school contracts with their own umpires. Several of them contract out the assigning bits to others (leagues or regional 3rd party groups), but the schools themselves write the checks directly to the umpires.

You have the name of an association in your profile (NEKOA)...are all of those members baseball umpires? Or are softball umpires also members of NEKOA? 

I'm not asking about how you're paid...don't take this the wrong way...but if you don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than telling me that you don't know how anybody besides yourself gets paid, or that you don't know what an association is even though you have the name of an association in your profile, then I thank you for your contributions. Have a nice day.

Since I don't do softball, I can not contribute to that part. But I could definitely ask around on FB with umpires I am pretty sure work with the yellow ball. 

But to contribute one thing you did ask Kyle. My umpire associations I have belonged to in California, Oregon, and Washington have all had separate associations for baseball and softball.

Edit: I tried going to the state run Arbiter site. Which houses sub pages for all the different sports. But it will not let me see the game fees or anything useful to you because I am not a member of a softball association. Sorry.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:25 AM, johnnyg08 said:

Is your baseball association separate from your softball association? 

In So Cal where I am, we are a chapter of the CBUA (California Baseball Umpires Association) which as the name implies is mono-sport only. Several of our members do both for the separate HS associations, they pay two sets of dues, have two assignors, etc.

As someone mentioned in a different response, we are paid directly by the school, but we as the individual umpires are not directly contracted by them or assigned by them; that all comes through our local association chapter.

I know the fees are different by a couple bucks per game, but considering 95% of the time if the SB guy and the BB guy start a game at the same time, more often than not, the SB guy is home drinking a beer by the time the BB guy gets off the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really wish you hadn't asked that question.  I ended up going to the UIL site - Controllers Of All Athletics in Texas - and looking up the softball fees.  The same.

Now I'm all mad.

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Well, SB umpires do have to hear all of that chanting that probably stays in their head for a few days after... Maybe its compensation for that?

Now put yourself in the coach's shoes.  Please have some empathy.

• Haha 2

Central Ohio area - Columbus and a couple surrounding counties:

Varsity baseball - $55
JV baseball - $42
Freshman baseball - $38

It’s absolute dog**** here. Has been the same pay for about 10 years, at least. Not sure what it would take to get us bumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Catch18 said:

Central Ohio area - Columbus and a couple surrounding counties:

Varsity baseball - $55
JV baseball - $42
Freshman baseball - $38

It’s absolute dog**** here. Has been the same pay for about 10 years, at least. Not sure what it would take to get us bumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if I read above...in Ohio, the fees are the same correct? Thank you for chiming in! 

14 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

And if I read above...in Ohio, the fees are the same correct? Thank you for chiming in! 

No, many areas are higher than here in central OH. In fact, nearly all of them. The conferences just west of here, in the Springfield/Dayton area, are at 65 for varsity. Some north near Ada are 70. We are blessed with lots and lots of schools in a relatively close area - but our fees are the pits. And all the local conferences have banded together to set one flat rate (illegally IMO, but that's a different post). 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, scrounge said:

No, many areas are higher than here in central OH. In fact, nearly all of them. The conferences just west of here, in the Springfield/Dayton area, are at 65 for varsity. Some north near Ada are 70. We are blessed with lots and lots of schools in a relatively close area - but our fees are the pits. And all the local conferences have banded together to set one flat rate (illegally IMO, but that's a different post). 

Please allow me to rephrase...while fees across the state are different as they are in my state...in those local areas, are the fees the same for baseball & softball? 

Just now, johnnyg08 said:

Please allow me to rephrase...while fees across the state are different as they are in my state...in those local areas, are the fees the same for baseball & softball? 

Oh, I gotcha.....I'm much less familiar with softball around the state, but here in Central OH,  yes they are the same.

Which is fine by me - sure, they generally (but not always) get done early, but they have to put up with that incessant, non-stop chanting. Keep it.

• Haha 1

I believe that around me (Suburban Philadelphia) baseball and softball fees are the same, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know the local baseball leagues pay $72-75 for Varsity, $60-66 for JV, $55 for freshman, and $60-65 for middle school.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, LMSANS said:

Down the shore we get:

V-B $84

V-S $79

SV-B $62

SV-S $61

Oh yeah...a middle school pays 2 guys $90. 

• Like 1