Mound visits

BigVic69

Question

9 answers to this question

2019 LL RIM rule 5.10 - The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls “Time.” The Umpire-in-Chief shall call “Time”—

(d) when a manager requests “Time” for a substitution, or for a conference with one of the players;

NOTE 1: Only one offensive time-out, for the purpose of a visit or conference, will be permitted each inning

INSTRUCTOR’S COMMENTS:

Any time an umpire grants a “charged time out” to either the defense or the offense, the opposing manager may visit with his/her team without being charged a timeout. The umpire should use discretion allowing these “uncharged visits” during other periods where the ball is not in play (substitutions, injuries or meetings with the umpires).

8.06 - This rule, which applies to each pitcher who enters a game, governs the visits of the manager or coach to the pitcher in the circle.

(c) A manager or coach may confer with any other player(s), including the catcher, during the visit with the pitcher. A manager or coach who is granted a time out to talk to any defensive player will be charged with a visit to the pitcher.

INSTRUCTOR’S COMMENTS:

If a manager requests time to talk to his pitcher, the offensive manager also will be allowed to talk to his batter or runner without being charged with an offensive time-out.

➔ A manager is allowed to visit with any defensive player. The manager or coach, in all Divisions, may go to the mound or foul line, whichever he/ she prefers.

➔ At times, managers will call a catcher over to the dugout in an effort to avoid being charged a conference. This is not allowed and must be charged to the pitcher.

I would start with the rule book itself. The 2021 edition is now available online at mlb.com. Check out OBR rules 5.10(l) and 5.10(m). If that doesn’t have what you’re looking for then I would recommend the Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual. I have the 2018 edition—it has nearly four full pages devoted to mound visits.

5.10(m)(4)

Enforcement of Mound Visit Limits. A manager or coach who crosses the foul line on his way to the mound after his team has exhausted its mound visits must make a pitching change, unless…..

blah blah blah, more about fulfilling requirement on substitute pitcher, if there’s a pinch hitter, etc. etc.

It also constitutes a visit if there are intervening position players or catchers that get direction fro the manager…

Visit concludes when the manager leaves the 18-foot circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never understood why the batter/offense gets a freebie when the DC comes out to talk to the pitcher but when the offense calls time for a coach/batter conference, the DC can't confer with the pitcher. I mean, as long as the game is not delayed. I haven't had the situation in years, but I'd be tempted to tell the DC, "Don't cross the line, just meet F1 half-way, and you're good."

Maybe there's a reasonable explanation for the difference, but it's always eluded me.

Mr. LRZ, your objection is valid for NCAA and OBR but not for Little League or Federation games. When I searched for the answer to this current question I found that you had the same objection in 2015. I did not realize that you have been here that long. Back then you asked for the interpretation for OBR and did not receive it then—so here it is now.

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 3.4.1 Situation B:  The coach of the team at bat requests and is granted time so he may have a conference with either the batter or runner(s). Thereafter, if the defensive team's coach goes to the mound to talk to his pitcher, should the defensive team be charged with a conference also? RULING: No. When either team is granted time for a conference the other coach or representative may do likewise without being charged with a conference, unless the opposing coach or his representative delays the game by not being ready to play when the other team's charged conference is completed.

From the 2016 BRD (section 159, p. 122):

OBR Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  "A defensive visit is a defensive visit, regardless of other offensive visits that might be occurring and even if it does not delay the game in any way."

• Like 1

Thank you, Senor Azul. Somewhere, I did come across the OBR interpretation--it might have been in some long-ago thread--but I still don't understand the logic: what's the reason for this?

Maybe the Wendelstedt interpretation is one of those MLB principles that might not be appropriate at the rec league, pre-teen ages I've been working--although I can't, won't say that for sure.

For the record, I joined this site in 2014; I started umpiring in 1981; I have never worked LL; I haven't worked NFHS in 30-35 years; and I no longer work varsity-level. In short, I'm semi-retired from umpiring.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.