Thoughts on 2021 NFHS rules test

Scissors
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1096 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed right now. Just took the test twice today and got a 74 then a 78 after putting hours into it. Strangely enough, last year I didn't even OWN a rulebook, just a case book, and got an 84 first try. I'm wondering if you all think the test was particularly difficult this year. Also, is there a way for me to retake it again? I don't have much experience with the whole process since last year would've been my first high school season :banghead:

I believe it is state by state. For instance, Washington state has it where once you score 70 or better you're done. You do not need to do any more (nor could you if you wanted to... but thats another story!) Where as Oregon has it where you can't even work HS ball scoring less than a 70. And you have to score 90 or better to work playoffs (in a normal season of course). And you can keep taking it to improve your score all the way through the end of the regular season I believe.

So I think each state is different . It just depends on what your state allows and doesn't allow.

• Like 1

I assume you meant the classification test, or are you guys just now taking the registration test?

I found a couple of questions to be a bit unclear (as usual), but managed a 94, which is irrelevant because here they have scrapped it because apparently folks couldn't get into the test.  What I find perplexing is the fact that after the test has closed you cannot go back and see which ones you missed. Why wouldn't they want you to know so you can get it right on the field?.

But, although you may be disappointed with your score as @BT_Bluesays, 70+ and your fine.

One final note, the questions are random so you may have just gotten a bad batch.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree, @aaluck. I scored well enough to earn state certification but, given that it's an open test and it does not need to be completed in one sitting, I prefer to re-take it to earn a perfect score.

I must have gotten a bad batch of questions because I aced it on my second go-round. Re-takes vary state to state so, check with your association leadership if you are unsure.

~Dawg

1 hour ago, aaluck said:

What I find perplexing is the fact that after the test has closed you cannot go back and see which ones you missed.

Not sure how other states do it, but Washington State uses Arbiter and there is a "Test Control Panel" link on the central hub page where you can review your test results.

4 minutes ago, ousafe said:

Not sure how other states do it, but Washington State uses Arbiter and there is a "Test Control Panel" link on the central hub page where you can review your test results.

In Alabama we have switched to DragonFly--which is new and has a lot of problems, but thats a different story.  DragonFly redirects us to the NFHS site, where we take the test. It may be an Alabama thing but reviewing the test is not an option.  We have complained about this for years.

9 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I believe it is state by state. For instance, Washington state has it where once you score 70 or better you're done. You do not need to do any more (nor could you if you wanted to... but thats another story!) Where as Oregon has it where you can't even work HS ball scoring less than a 70. And you have to score 90 or better to work playoffs (in a normal season of course). And you can keep taking it to improve your score all the way through the end of the regular season I believe.

So I think each state is different . It just depends on what your state allows and doesn't allow.

Didn't realize the test was a state thing. I get some of the organizations confused. 

1 hour ago, aaluck said:

What I find perplexing is the fact that after the test has closed you cannot go back and see which ones you missed. Why wouldn't they want you to know so you can get it right on the field?.

Agreed, it would be really helpful to know since I really dived into the rulebook for every question.

1 hour ago, Scissors said:

Agreed, it would be really helpful to know since I really dived into the rulebook for every question.

That's my point. Folks (like most of the guys on this forum) that are actually trying to do well on the test AND learn the rules (they maybe didn't know) through the test are penalized.  Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ousafe said:

We also do not use the NFHS questions. We have a panel that puts together questions. Sadly, that then can turn into information missing.

For instance, there was a question regarding runners scoring to end the game. I answered the question, as written, KNOWING I would get it wrong because I KNEW that they meant the question to include the fact there where two outs. But you still have to answer as written because that is what we are always told.

• Like 2

Wisconsin allows for answering all 100 questions, then grades it and shows you what ones you missed with the rule reference.  Unless I don't know how, you have to jot down which ones you missed because you can't re-open the test.  

I, as others have mentioned, strive for 100% but there's a couple that still don't make any sense how NFHS arrived at the answer they're looking for. 

There were a number of questions that just made no sense this year, and some that didn't ha e the potential answers in the written test. Didn't care enough to dive into the rule book when I got those questions when taking it. Last year got 100%. This year got 92. 

In Kansas, you can only take it once, and then the day(ish) that the seasons starts they release your scores. 90% qualifies you for post season. They do let you review the ones you got wrong.

25 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

In Kansas, you can only take it once,

WOW! So only one shot at it!? That's brutal! Do they at least give you the questions before hand so you can review them if you like?

Is it the full 100 question NFHS test? Or is it like Washington and Oregon where it is 40-50 questions?

9 hours ago, Biscuit said:

There were a number of questions that just made no sense this year, and some that didn't ha e the potential answers in the written test. Didn't care enough to dive into the rule book when I got those questions when taking it. Last year got 100%. This year got 92. 

In Kansas, you can only take it once, and then the day(ish) that the seasons starts they release your scores. 90% qualifies you for post season. They do let you review the ones you got wrong.

Sounds similar to Wisconsin.  You can print the test, study and mark your answers, then take the online test.  The questions could be out of order or worded slightly different.  I'm not sure if retakes are allowed or what score is needed for post season.  I've passed each time and too inexperienced for post season. 

Well, update. I somehow got it in my head I needed an 80 to do regular season JV and an 85 to do varsity. Turns out that number is in the 60s for JV and high 60s for Varsity. I'm just not eligible for the post season which I wouldn't get anyway. That was a lot of stress for nothing :nod:

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2021 at 10:40 PM, BT_Blue said:

WOW! So only one shot at it!? That's brutal! Do they at least give you the questions before hand so you can review them if you like?

Is it the full 100 question NFHS test? Or is it like Washington and Oregon where it is 40-50 questions?

Yep, one shot. If you hit submit, you can't go back and change answers, even if the due date hasn't come yet. We get a packet in January with rulebook's, preseason guide, dates and times for meetings, and the 100 question test. A month or two later, the test opens, and you are randomly given 50 questions. About a month after that, it closes and you get your results.