Lacing up and tying New Balance mid-cut plate shoes

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 744 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Greetings brothers,

I bought a new pair of New Balance V3 mid-cut plate shoes last year but, never used them because we were in COVID mechanics. Now that we're getting ready to return to traditional mechanics and I'll be using these shoes, I want to make sure I am lacing and tying them for maximum protection and comfort. For the record, I have not changed the lace up pattern as they arrived from the factory and were unboxed. So, currently I am snugging them up underneath the metatarsal plate, then giving a final pull from the laces coming out of the two holes in the top of the plate and tying off again on the top of those holes. What methods/techniques have you guys been using with these shoes?

~Dawg

That is what I do as well.  What I discovered a year after I got them is that there is a little pocket on the outside of the tongue.  You can tuck your laces up in there.  It is a great little feature.  I can't tell you how many guys I have showed that to since I learned about it.  Not one of them knew it was there.  Saw it on one of the videos from Ump-Attire.

nbm460v3_tape.thumb.jpg.23c310a4f7ea72084c9007e5c3514ec3.jpg

I've been doing this and recommending this to the low-cut 460v3's, but I'm sure it's helpful to the mid-cut versions. I put duct tape on the upper rim of the shoe to prevent the inevitable rubbing and wearing out of the shoe by the shinguards. In my case, the wearing only occurs in those two spots, but on my previous plate shoes, left unprotected, the entire rim split and fell apart. 

@JimKirk, this is the tape job I was mentioning... I couldn't find the topic where you requested to see this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

I've been doing this and recommending this to the low-cut 460v3's, but I'm sure it's helpful to the mid-cut versions. I put duct tape on the upper rim of the shoe to prevent the inevitable rubbing and wearing out of the shoe by the shinguards. In my case, the wearing only occurs in those two spots, but on my previous plate shoes, left unprotected, the entire rim split and fell apart. 

@JimKirk, this is the tape job I was mentioning... I couldn't find the topic where you requested to see this. 

Took awhile but I see it.  Good idea.

22 hours ago, MadMax said:

Got it! Will share with NB the next time they work on plate shoes. Good stuff.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2021 at 10:49 PM, MadMax said:

I just want to highlight what a great idea this is!!!  I had my shoes rip in the same place and added duct tape afterwards (didn't know about this before) and that helped me get at least 100 more games out of them. Good to know ahead of time for my next pair.

• Thanks 1