I'd like to see this sign hung up at every sports field.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I called a strike 3 on one of my son's friends (10U, maybe?). They looked up and said "I thought you were my friend." I responded. "I am. Here's some friendly advice. When the ball is in the strike zo

Unfortunately, it is most true that 8U has MLB potential. By 13U, it's pretty easy to see that almost none do.

Posted Images

If only.  Not that the sign is wrong, more "if only people would read it AND comprehend its meaning."

I rose to the pinnacle of our profession last weekend, "working" a coach-pitch tournament.  (In my defense, I had a 3-day window with no games, and this time of year, that makes me twitchy.  Also, they actually pay legal, US, spendable tender to work the games.  I'll happily take $26 bucks to work a 50m drop-dead game.  Turns out, I can count to five pitches all on my own!)

Anyway, the field I was on had very little foul ground, and the stands were thisclose to the fence.  So I got to hear every slanderous description of my character, integrity and heritage.  Or would have, if I hadn't been zoning it out.  I DID hear about the runs I cost different teams.  Joke's on them - I planned that SH*# FOR DAYS before the weekend!

Coach-pitch.  8U.  We are doomed as a people.

• Haha 2

Unfortunately, it is most true that 8U has MLB potential. By 13U, it's pretty easy to see that almost none do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

If only.  Not that the sign is wrong, more "if only people would read it AND comprehend its meaning."

I rose to the pinnacle of our profession last weekend, "working" a coach-pitch tournament.  (In my defense, I had a 3-day window with no games, and this time of year, that makes me twitchy.  Also, they actually pay legal, US, spendable tender to work the games.  I'll happily take $26 bucks to work a 50m drop-dead game.  Turns out, I can count to five pitches all on my own!)

Anyway, the field I was on had very little foul ground, and the stands were thisclose to the fence.  So I got to hear every slanderous description of my character, integrity and heritage.  Or would have, if I hadn't been zoning it out.  I DID hear about the runs I cost different teams.  Joke's on them - I planned that SH*# FOR DAYS before the weekend!

You didn't use an indicator?:o

12 hours ago, LMSANS said:

You didn't use an indicator?:o

Actually, I did.  Just to ensure there'd be no F*#K-ery with the pitch count.  And, because they still were only allowed three strikes within that five pitches.  Yes, I know - "hey dummy, three strikes is a foundational plank of the game!"  Yes.  But.  If the whole point is to get kids into the game, playing batted balls and making plays, and running bases depending on situations, why not just let them get all five pitches with which to do something?  Maybe that's my inner hippy coming out.

But being used to having an indicator, anyway, and wanting to make sure these junior Joe Giardis would keep it in their pants, I used one.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 1:56 PM, HokieUmp said:

Yeah...in my early years with my daughter, 10U I think, at the RECREATIONAL LEVEL, we had these conditions in place:

1. Volunteer umps, provided by "home" team (guess who ended up doing that most of the time) - both teams could also volunteer a base ump if they wanted...not required, and rarely done.

2. Coach pitch after four balls - ie. no walks...offensive coach then pitches, every pitch is a strike...third strike foul is out - no U3K rule

3. No outfielders - "home run" to any ball that goes past dirt infield (pilons placed beyond bases) - purpose is to have smaller teams, to have more teams, more games, more action...no kids daydreaming and playing with dandelions in outfield

As an unpaid ump...still yelled out for "ball" calls...even though a "walk" only gets the kid to a situation where he/she MUST swing...ball or strike the kid is always one pitch closer to being out.

Parents yelling at me when the ball stops six inches short of the pilons and I dare to A) give him the home run or B) not give him the home run - if I'm gonna get yelled out anyway, I'm likely to give the kid the thrill of a home run - and I'm a volunteer...maybe I'm running out to get a better view of the ball...maybe I'm parking my ass behind home plate for the night.    See above for option to volunteer a base ump, and rejected.

Accused of cheating for my team, because, yes, I've laid ten grand in Vegas on the outcome of this game AND I really need to make sure my ten year old's stats are presentable to the scouts sitting on the grass (because we're in the middle of a public field and it doesn't even have bleachers)

Being yelled at by my own teams' parents

Not to mention the number of parents who, at that age, have their kids on meal plans and nutritional/exercise regimens and are literally already talking with college recruiters.   The moment I met those people I immediately hated them.  

AND, when I coached this level, I would not send my players home from third on wild pitches/passed balls - they could advance to third that way, but wanted my team to hit runners home...now I'm being yelled at by my parents.

Jesus Christ I hate humans.

I've had the experience of umpiring for my son's LL team.   Never, and I mean never, again.  I will never umpire LL baseball again. 

If you think you'll get a pass because your son is on the home team, you're so wrong.  If anything, they think that you'll give them every close pitch - will be a strike for them and a ball against them when they bat.  Every close play also is supposed to be theirs.

I was to be paid $30 a game which I gave back to the coach after the first game after hearing so much griping/whining/complaining from our parents.  I kept my word and fulfilled the rest of the season (no pay) but I never wanted to quit so badly in my life.  Sheer torture having to hear the parents of your son's teammates acting worse than the kids every pitch.

SMH - man that left a bad taste in my mouth that lingers to this day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Parents yelling at me when the ball stops six inches short of the pilons and I dare to A) give him the home run or B) not give him the home run - if I'm gonna get yelled out anyway, I'm likely to give the kid the thrill of a home run

Accused of cheating for my team, because, yes, I've laid ten grand in Vegas on the outcome of this game AND I really need to make sure my ten year old's stats are presentable to the scouts sitting on the grass (because we're in the middle of a public field and it doesn't even have bleachers)

Being yelled at by my own teams' parents

Not to mention the number of parents who, at that age, have their kids on meal plans and nutritional/exercise regimens and are literally already talking with college recruiters.   The moment I met those people I immediately hated them.  

AND, when I coached this level, I would not send my players home from third on wild pitches/passed balls - they could advance to third that way, but wanted my team to hit runners home...now I'm being yelled at by my parents.

Jesus Christ I hate humans.

I feel you. 

At my 8U tournament - and the phrase "8U tournament" is already wrong on multiple levels - I saw a lot of the same thing.  I wrote in the GroupMe group the umpires of that field use:  "the kids are adorable.  I'd love to shoot the parents and coaches into the Sun, but the kids are great."

That was also where I was introduced to pre-recorded walk-up music.  I know you and I disagree on this one, but I just .... "hate it" is probably too strong, but "dislike it" is too weak.  Mostly, I think it's dumb.  And while I see your point about giving the little dudes a taste of the big time, I'm not convinced they notice or care.  If they do, and it makes them feel cool, okay.  But these guys are the same ones that, ten minutes later or ten minutes earlier, are digging in the infield dirt, or messing with the dandelions.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

I feel you. 

At my 8U tournament - and the phrase "8U tournament" is already wrong on multiple levels - I saw a lot of the same thing.  I wrote in the GroupMe group the umpires of that field use:  "the kids are adorable.  I'd love to shoot the parents and coaches into the Sun, but the kids are great."

That was also where I was introduced to pre-recorded walk-up music.  I know you and I disagree on this one, but I just .... "hate it" is probably too strong, but "dislike it" is too weak.  Mostly, I think it's dumb.  And while I see your point about giving the little dudes a taste of the big time, I'm not convinced they notice or care.  If they do, and it makes them feel cool, okay.  But these guys are the same ones that, ten minutes later or ten minutes earlier, are digging in the infield dirt, or messing with the dandelions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only way I coach again is with a team of orphans.

• Like 3
On 4/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, wolfe_man said:

If you think you'll get a pass because your son is on the home team, you're so wrong.  If anything, they think that you'll give them every close pitch - will be a strike for them and a ball against them when they bat.  Every close play also is supposed to be theirs.

I called a strike 3 on one of my son's friends (10U, maybe?). They looked up and said "I thought you were my friend." I responded. "I am. Here's some friendly advice. When the ball is in the strike zone, swing at it."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

I called a strike 3 on one of my son's friends (10U, maybe?). They looked up and said "I thought you were my friend." I responded. "I am. Here's some friendly advice. When the ball is in the strike zone, swing at it."

LOL

I almost threw out our head coach.  Every close pitch, he'd sigh/inhale deeply and then walk out of the dugout down towards the fans (out of play).   I finally had enough and told him just to stay out there if he didn't like it.  Guess who's son the pitcher was?

• Like 1
On 4/6/2021 at 11:39 AM, wolfe_man said:

I've had the experience of umpiring for my son's LL team.   Never, and I mean never, again.  I will never umpire LL baseball again. 

I was to be paid $30 a game which I gave back to the coach after the first game after hearing so much griping/whining/complaining from our parents.  I kept my word and fulfilled the rest of the season (no pay) but I never wanted to quit so badly in my life.  Sheer torture having to hear the parents of your son's teammates acting worse than the kids every pitch.

This is one of the reasons WHY I refuse to umpire Little League (12U) baseball. Parents were way out of control to the point that I included "This is your warning- you are responsible for the conduct of your team's parents.  If the conduct of a parent warrants an ejection, not only will they be ejected, YOU will be ejected along with them"

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 11:39 AM, wolfe_man said:

My one and only favorite partner whom is my UiC He started out umpiring locally cause they needed guys. His son came up to bat and the 1st pitch was nose high. He calls "STRIKE". His kid stepped out and looked at him like "really" . He told me he laughed as did the catcher and he said to his son. "If your up here you better be swinging". The coaches all laughed about it knowing he would be fair and if anything he would call his son better for the other team. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a sign like that while playing in a softball tournament- where the proceeds went to a gal's physical therapy, after being paralyzed in a car accident in 2011.

The sign said:
1. This is a GAME
2. This is for CHARITY
3. The Umpires are VOLUNTEERS
4. You did NOT play for the Phillies.