ISO:::::Black Plate Coat

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 560 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If you're unable to locate one, I constructed my own... 

madmask_platecoat_nwl20.thumb.jpg.9390b037e90e359c66943276586516e9.jpg

It's a 44L, built off a summer-weight sport coat with a box split in the back, made-to-order ball pockets, and the patch is held on with magnets. 

Just PM me if you'd like the "instructions". 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MadMax said:

It's a 44L, built off a summer-weight sport coat with a box split in the back, made-to-order ball pockets, and the patch is held on with magnets. 

How much did that set you back? I can imagine it was probably less than the $200+ price tag of an actual plate coat. 

14 hours ago, MadMax said:

RIP to that Wilson aluminum. May it rest in peace 

7 minutes ago, tpatience said:

RIP to that Wilson aluminum.

The one in the photo is the replacement. This photo is from the last plate game of the 2020 season, and the first Wilson DynAlum suffered the killer crack in the first game of the 2020 season (for me). 2nd pitch of the game! 

It was @JimKirk himself attending to this replacement that got it resolved. 

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

The one in the photo is the replacement. This photo is from the last plate game of the 2020 season, and the first Wilson DynAlum suffered the killer crack in the first game of the 2020 season (for me). 2nd pitch of the game! 

It was @JimKirk himself attending to this replacement that got it resolved. 

There you go. And the squared ear guards too!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

How much did that set you back? I can imagine it was probably less than the $200+ price tag of an actual plate coat. 

- Calvin Klein summer-weight sport coat, w/ box split, 44L: $25

- Jo-Ann “Sport Linen” (it’s a polyester, but had the same texture as the sport coat and my standard ball bags): $10

- Labor to construct and attach the two ball pockets, as well as move and reattach the button for a closed, tailored fit: $45

My seamstress actually went all-out and actually built in _zippered_ dividers for my plate brush, pens, and any other necessities. I keep my lineup card folder on the inside pocket, but the two pockets can comfortably hold three balls each (can probably fit 4 each, but I don’t push it).

So all things told, $80. 

Since I’m a Vulture, and this is as formal of attire as I’ll ever wear as an umpire, I call it my WakeWear Plate Coat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2021 at 10:19 PM, bbetancourt6 said:

Looking for a coat. Size 44R or L preferably. I can still fit in a 42. 

Thank you in advance. 

What is your height and weight? I have a plate coat that has been altered and my be a 44. If you can provide some measurements I can send you the measurements of the coat I have. Its a Hongis Hardwick model.

@MadMaxill take the plans for how you did your plate coat if you will give them to me. I've always wanted one. Just have never been in the position (monetarily or physically) to spring for a honest-to-God one. 

If you would be as so kind to share. Either on here via PM or to my email Doubledownonblue@gmail.com 

TIA

• 1 year later...