Rawlings HSM chin padding fit?

Got a Rawlings HSM to try out, and I don't understand the chin padding fit.  It appears that the padding doesn't touch the chin at all, but rather the whole chin piece hangs below the chin level.  There is no padding insert to take up the gap like I see for the All-Star HSM.  I'm used to padding against my chin with the traditional mask, so I'm wondering if this is by design, or if I just got a HSM designed for a dude with a giant, low slung chin?  What's the deal, is this just "by design"?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bing! True! Ten points Griffyndor! No need. They're not going to know anyway... the only people that will know are on this here forum.  Yup, it's Rawlings' rendition of a "floating chin"

There is no such thing as an umpire only hsm. 

Posted Images

Okay, horrible shot but here it is.  I put my finger just under my chin so you can see where the bottom of my chin is.  The whole chin frame goes well below that point, and the foam padding is glued to the plastic chin frame.  It seems like it will work fine, but just seems odd to me...

helmet.jpg

3 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Did you get that used? Looks like someone attached the chin pad to the throat guard area, at least based on that pic.

Nope, new.  It is a catcher's helmet, not umpire HSM.  And the padding is glued in there to the plastic frame around the bottom of the chin area.  I'll take it to our field mechanics training on Saturday and ask some of the veteran umps there.

1 hour ago, ousafe said:

Nope, new.  It is a catcher's helmet, not umpire HSM.  And the padding is glued in there to the plastic frame around the bottom of the chin area.  I'll take it to our field mechanics training on Saturday and ask some of the veteran umps there.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Bing! True! Ten points Griffyndor!

13 hours ago, ousafe said:

I'll take it to our field mechanics training on Saturday and ask some of the veteran umps there.

No need. They're not going to know anyway... the only people that will know are on this here forum. :HD:

On 3/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, ousafe said:

Got a Rawlings HSM to try out, and I don't understand the chin padding fit.  It appears that the padding doesn't touch the chin at all, but rather the whole chin piece hangs below the chin level.  There is no padding insert to take up the gap like I see for the All-Star HSM.  I'm used to padding against my chin with the traditional mask, so I'm wondering if this is by design, or if I just got a HSM designed for a dude with a giant, low slung chin?  What's the deal, is this just "by design"?

Yup, it's Rawlings' rendition of a "floating chin". I've only seen an Asian-market-only Mizuno HSM have a floating chin, also. Why they're not used more confuses me, but I _think_ I know why. The benefits of a floating chin, though, are thus:

1. What is it that catchers are taught to do on a pitch down or one they are about to block in the dirt? Tuck their chin (down) against their chest. This Rawlings design allows that to happen with the least amount of resistance, irritation, or risk of injury (ever so minor that it might be). 
  2. Makes the HSM easier to get on-and-off if it doesn't have a bulky chin pad scraping against the nose. 
  3. Less chances of a direct shot driving the impact back, into the chin, and then thru the jaw into that bundle of nerves at the hinge of your jaw that, when traumatized or shocked, results in an effect very similar to a concussion. 
  4. Less irritation on the chin, and much easier to speak with. 

As I said, I think I know why the manufacturers don't implement a floating chin, and I think it has to do with fit. It may also have to do with making replacement chin pads available as a sellable accessory (I could easily be wrong about this). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1