Worst game ever? - What's yours?

wolfe_man

It was actually a well-played game, but it was the worst experience. JUCO game from back in the days of the hybrid trip rule--three free trips for the game, but only one to the same pitcher in the same inning. 

Last game of regular season. Game decides 4th place; winner advances to conference tournament, loser goes home. Bottom of 7th, V up by 2, one out, R1, R2.  V manager put his closer in the game to start the inning, and had made his 2nd free trip earlier in the inning with R2, 0 outs to decide to walk the batter (he wanted a R/R matchup and a double play setup). H manager is entering a PH, and as I am getting the change on my card, V manager says "Hey Andy, I got one free trip left, correct?" I hardly look up as I'm writing and say "Yeah."  When I'm done writing I look up and V manager is at the mound.  There's nobody in the bullpen warming up. He leaves the mound, but F1 does not.

I tell him he has to remove his closer.

"What the $%#@ are you talking about? You just got done telling me I had a free trip left!" 

"You do, but you couldn't use it on him." 

"#$@%. I'm not taking him out." 

"Well, we're not resuming until you do." 

"$#@^*?%$#$@ I got nobody ready."

"New guy can have as much time as he needs."

"This is some &*%$#?><@$%&@#$*?*&^#$#@.....#$^&^%$@^$%#&%^*&(<?>++" 

I gave him a lot of rope because nothing had a "you" in front of it.

First pitch by new pitcher splits the OFs. Throw comes to plate too late to cut down tying run, and B/R advances to third on the throw. 2nd pitch to next batter bounces away, R3 scores. H7-V6.

I am surrounded, and nobody is saying, "Nice game, blue."

"YOU  &*%$#?><@$%&@#$*?*&^#$#$$%$&*%(&*&^(*@^%$*y)m&^^$&%^#%$@%$#&*^^&*&*&^$$@#^u&$%&^$&^?#$%@$^(%^%^$*&%#&^%$*??<*&^$%##$&^*$@^!!*&^%#*&)*??*^^$&^%#$#^%**)&#$@#$!!$@#%^$^@%^(&*(*)_???<<~~&%$#^$%@#$@&%^(*)^*%(&%)*(_()_*)(^*$#&$%^@#$%^*&(*^%$##%$^%&*^)&()*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Four ejections by me, one each by my partners. If only I had seen him going to the mound I might have stopped him to tell him the ramifications of another trip right then and the whole thing could have been avoided.

That REALLY sucked. And it was my own lack of awareness that caused it.

On 3/14/2021 at 2:54 PM, Rich Ives said:

Losing a 10 run lead after two outs in the last inning.

I live in a larger city surrounded for thirty miles in every direction by a bunch of small towns, so the city is the host to men's rec ball covering players from 3000 square miles. One year the league changed the mercy rule from 10 after five to eight after five. Many players drove an hour or more to play and objected to sometimes getting only two at-bats--those at the bottom of the order sometimes only one. They showed their displeasure by agreeing among themselves that if the losing team was down by eight or nine runs after four at-bats, the winning team would deliberately allow them to score enough so that the mercy was not in effect at the end of five. That went on for two years before the league relented and changed it back to ten.

On 3/14/2021 at 12:54 PM, Rich Ives said:

Losing a 10 run lead after two outs in the last inning.

And I've had a 10-0 lead in the first inning, only to not score another run and watch that lead whittle away, slowly and painfully, over seven innings, eventually losing, inevitable as the tide.

I'm not sure which is worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My worst game, ever, was caused by my immaturity.

It occurred during a four game series in the minor leagues.  In the first game I was evaluated by a MiLB evaluator (I had no idea I was being evaluated...I found out after the game when he walked into the locker room).  It was the best verbal evaluation I could ever have hoped for.  It literally included the line, "do not change a thing!  If anyone tells you to change it, you tell them I told you not to.  You are on your way."

Needless to say, as a young 20-something my head swelled bigger than the size of Texas as a result of this evaluation.  And, I couldn't handle it.  

I proceeded to go out in Game 3 of the series and have the worst plate job in the history of minor league baseball.  I had to throw out the pitching coach from one team who stood on the top step of the dugout and put his hands around his neck and screamed, "you're F*#King choking," because he thought I was calling too many "balls".  In the 8th inning, I had to throw out a batter on the other team who thought I was calling too many "strikes".   I so did not want to throw the batter out, that I gave him three warnings...but he left me no choice.  When I tossed the pitching coach, he sprinted out of the dugout with a look in his eye that I have never seen before or since on a ball field.  I thought he was going to tackle me, except that his manager (who was making a mound visit), sprinted off the mound and tackled him.

I was screamed at for the whole game by fans (like I was at a youth game and the parents were going nuts).  Because the home team was only 45-minutes from where I grew up, I had my whole family in the stands (they weren't yelling...at least I don't think they were!).  After the game, as I was leaving the field, some fan was verbally assaulting me and threatening to kick my ass.  My Dad and Uncle (two high school football coaches) decided to get in his face...and they were all about to come to blows!

I was so GOD awful, that one of the managers (after I had ejected his pitching coach) said, "Matt, you have to expect to take some when you're struggling this much."  All I could manage to say was an implied acknowledgment that I agreed that I was sucking up the stadium.  I said, "Dick, I was ready to hear it from you and I would have listened to you for a long time...but I ain't listening to your pitching coach."

The moral of the story is that this game will eat you alive if you start thinking and acting like you have it figured out.  I thought I was "hot sh!t" and this game literally handed my ass to me.  It was a lesson in humility that I have never forgotten.  I was so lucky that I was not evaluated that game.  If I had been evaluated that game, I may have been sent back to rookie league!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:10 PM, lawump said:

My worst game, ever, was caused by my immaturity.

It occurred during a four game series in the minor leagues.  In the first game I was evaluated by a MiLB evaluator (I had no idea I was being evaluated...I found out after the game when he walked into the locker room).  It was the best verbal evaluation I could ever have hoped for.  It literally included the line, "do not change a thing!  If anyone tells you to change it, you tell them I told you not to.  You are on your way."

Needless to say, as a young 20-something my head swelled bigger than the size of Texas as a result of this evaluation.  And, I couldn't handle it.  

I proceeded to go out in Game 3 of the series and have the worst plate job in the history of minor league baseball.  I had to throw out the pitching coach from one team who stood on the top step of the dugout and put his hands around his neck and screamed, "you're F*#King choking," because he thought I was calling too many "balls".  In the 8th inning, I had to throw out a batter on the other team who thought I was calling too many "strikes".   I so did not want to throw the batter out, that I gave him three warnings...but he left me no choice.  When I tossed the pitching coach, he sprinted out of the dugout with a look in his eye that I have never seen before or since on a ball field.  I thought he was going to tackle me, except that his manager (who was making a mound visit), sprinted off the mound and tackled him.

I was screamed at for the whole game by fans (like I was at a youth game and the parents were going nuts).  Because the home team was only 45-minutes from where I grew up, I had my whole family in the stands (they weren't yelling...at least I don't think they were!).  After the game, as I was leaving the field, some fan was verbally assaulting me and threatening to kick my ass.  My Dad and Uncle (two high school football coaches) decided to get in his face...and they were all about to come to blows!

I was so GOD awful, that one of the managers (after I had ejected his pitching coach) said, "Matt, you have to expect to take some when you're struggling this much."  All I could manage to say was an implied acknowledgment that I agreed that I was sucking up the stadium.  I said, "Dick, I was ready to hear it from you and I would have listened to you for a long time...but I ain't listening to your pitching coach."

The moral of the story is that this game will eat you alive if you start thinking and acting like you have it figured out.  I thought I was "hot sh!t" and this game literally handed my ass to me.  It was a lesson in humility that I have never forgotten.  I was so lucky that I was not evaluated that game.  If I had been evaluated that game, I may have been sent back to rookie league!

I was really hoping that you worked this game:

• Haha 1

If I was the GM, I would have called down to the locker room and told the attendant to clean out the manager's office...put his stuff in trash bags or boxes. And then I would have fired him. That was totally unprofessional and embarrassing to the organization and the game of baseball. You want to come out and argue a call...fine. Everything after that is just absurd.

~Dawg