Wrist band play location

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1114 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So what's the latest about your code, NFHS, NCAA, OBR,  interp about these? In Texas currently, this day, they can't be worn on the belt and only on the arm. In years past the interps varied but one thing that was certain that it was not a HBP if the pitch hit a band attached to the belt. I think NCAA currently allows them worn anywhere and allows a HBP if hit. Ifbthe codes differ what would be the rationale?

Well, MY interp is the same as yours, since we're both TASO.  But I'd like to think I was a part of that email we just got.

I was at a tournament in Marion last week, and one of the teams was Davenport.  Both F1 AND F2 wore bands, and - near as I could tell - they both got flashed *different* signals, and consulted their wristbands.  (As an aside:  it seems like an overly complicated system, just to throw a pitch - and I've worked with and around intel people a lot of my life.)  My partner and I were okay with it - we talked about it the first time we saw them, and said it was okay.  The bands were dark, and we determined they weren't distracting.

The next crew came along, and disallowed it the next game.  These guys felt, with the white of the paper with all the "top secret code" stuff, that was enough white/gray to disallow it.  (My partner and I had left, and we didn't pass it on.)  It led to a spirited text discussion that evening, with the result that our chapter was planning to email TASO HQ (or TASO Mothership, or whatever it's called), to see what they'd have to say.

Now we know.

Sadly, it's not being called "The HokieUmp Rule," or "The HokieUmp Interpretation," but that's okay.

Well, Mr. HokieUmp, I don’t know what the e-mail from TASO said but it would be nice to have a rule named after us. Here’s what the FED already has on this issue (notwithstanding any new rulings for Texas). From the 2016 BRD (section  578, p. 374):

Official Interpretation:  Hopkins:  A team is wearing “quarterback-style” wristbands “that have defensive plays listed under a Velcro flap. The pitcher has a black wristband down near his glove.” This is legal provided they are not dangerous. If the umpire believes the pitcher’s band is distracting, it would be removed. (Website 2010 #10)

SITUATION 10: The visiting team is wearing “quarterback-style” wristbands that have defensive plays listed under a Velcro flap. The pitcher is wearing a black wristband down near his fielding glove. The home coach claims that the wristbands are illegal, and all players must take them off. RULING: Provided the wristbands are not dangerous, they are legal. If the plate umpire judges the wristband worn by the pitcher to be distracting, he would need to remove it. Otherwise, it is legal for the pitcher as well. (1-5-9, 6-2-1f, penalty). Black wristbands are not considered distracting, but brightly colored or custom wristbands probably would be.

2019 NFHS Case Book play 8.1.1 Situation Q:  A 1-1 pitch, which is just off the plate, strikes an armband-type placard device used for play situations, which is loosely attached to the batter’s waist. RULING:  The umpire shall call the pitch and declare a dead ball. The batter shall not be awarded first base. COMMENT:  The armband placard is not designed to be worn on the waistband of the uniform pants. It was intended to be properly worn on the wrist/forearm of the player.

1 hour ago, HokieUmp said:

Both F1 AND F2 wore bands, and - near as I could tell - they both got flashed *different* signals, and consulted their wristbands.

53 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Seeing a lot of NCAA pitchers wear them this year. Which catches me by surprise every time I see them on tv.

You can thank (or curse, take your pick) all the COVID bu... stuff for this. There hasn't been opportunity for catchers to get with pitchers, and pitchers to get with pitching coaches for development of sign & signal systems. This is intensified by all the situational complexities. Then there's the increased focus and implementation of the 20-second pitch clock (kept by a BU, which becomes a tense "will he or won't he (call us on it)" pressure point. So, it's far easier for a pitching coach to relay in a three (or four) digit code, cross-referenced on the key card on the wrist holder, and away we go. In that code is the defensive alignment, pre-pitch shift, and type of pitch they want F1 to pitch. 

They just haven't been afforded (allowed) the time to practice and drill this in. <following comment redacted>

Here in AZ, none of our NAIA college F1's are wearing these card holders. Obviously, they can't wear one on the arms, but they haven't even been wearing it on the belt, so it's not been an issue. Conversely, where we're seeing it is in High School baseball, and we've been told that pitchers are not allowed to wear one at all. I had a coach claim that the wearing of one at the belt was "allowed... I cleared it with R (our director of umpires) himself!". To which I called bullsh!t shenanigans and texted R at the next half-inning break. R replied with "Not allowed currently". 

So what's new? A head coach lied to me. Typical. 

• Like 1

Not a “new” thing for this year.  Start of 2020 season had a release from NCAA allowing them on the pitcher, which means teams were doing it in ‘19 and caused NCAA to address it. I had teams do it a few times in college games before they were cancelled out last season. 

NCAA Baseball Interpretations/Clarifications

January 9, 2020

Rule 9-2-h – Pitcher’s Use of Wristband for Receiving Signals

The rule states “A pitcher shall not wear jewelry or clothing items that a batter or umpire considers distracting (e.g., chains, white logos, wrist bands, loose lacing on glove).

Interpretation – In order to facilitate receiving signals in an accurate and timely manner, a pitcher may wear a wristband with a signal card insert on his non-pitching wrist/forearm. It must be black or a solid, dark color. If the insert is not covered with a flap, it should be on the inside of the wrist to reduce any distraction to the batter. There shall not be any attachment to the pitcher’s glove.

Missouri High School just released:

"Any wristband with a playbook/playcard attached shall be considered equipment and is permitted as long as it is a single color and is not white or gray.  It does not have to match the color of the upper garment.  It shall be worn on the non-pitching arm, the belt or stored in a pocket.  If under the umpires' judgement, the wristband is distracting while worn on the arm or placed on the belt it shall be removed and placed in a pocket.  Players, coaches and umpires are reminded pitches are to be delivered within 20 seconds of receiving the ball and use of aforementioned playbook/playcard does not warrant an extension of this time."