COVID-19 Mask, Gaiters and Coverings Pros & Cons for Plate Work

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 710 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This has been a hot, relevant topic here and elsewhere.

As a result, we have compiled many of the comments, reviews and discussions out there (including here) and made a summary list of +’s and -‘s of each mask, gaiter and face mask covering we offer - at least as it relates to plate work.

Managing your protective mask & helmet while wearing and/or using an additional apparel item or apparatus presents its own set of issues.

Not unlike umpire gear & apparel in general, a positive attribute for one person can be a negative one for another. In other words, what’s best is best for the individual.

I hope this is helpful. There is also a video review by our staffers/umpires Ty & Brandon that I was really pleased with. You’ll find some new insights about the subject in the article and video.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Blog/Find-Your-COVID-19-Solution-When-Working-The-Plate

Feel free to share your thoughts. This is an article that can be added to or edited. We are all certainly in new territory, and as always, comments we read on UE always help guide out thinking.

Hope everyone is doing well, and your seasons are gearing up.

I don't think the F3 is any good, but that’s me. If I lose half my vision, then I struggle to see the pros.

I do like and use the UA mask. I have three and they’re very good. Best I’ve personally used so far.

I also have a gaiter that is useful, but it truly isn’t a medical mask. It’ll check the box if all you’re trying to do is be in compliance, but it won’t stop the virus from being transmitted.

• Like 1

https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/CLEAR-MASK/Umpire-Mask-Face-Shield

Last night, I used this clear shield on my AS Mg. It was 38 degrees. I have not yet used this in spring/fall or summer conditions. However, you need to know that if you use this clear shield in cold weather, it WILL fog. When it fogs, it reduces your downward visibility. I was wiping it after every half-inning but, it would be fully fogged again after a few pitches.

I will be removing this shield for now but, I will try it again when things warm up a bit and report back.

~Dawg

• Thanks 1

I used a 3 layer cloth mask made locally by Stark Vacuums today with GREAT success. I did have some issues with the mask riding down on me when I put my mag on. But that is more an issue of not being able to properly adjust it before wearing it, than the mask itself.

I plan to attempt the UL gaiter next weekend. To avoid the issue Ty talked about, I will make sure the fold is at the top near my nose. This idea was suggested by Brian DeBrauwere of UCU in a recent video. But will still bring a normal mask out with me just in case.

FWIW, I tried the F3 mask mask last Friday for an inter-squad game I called just to see some pitches before the season.  Yes, I had a gaiter around my neck for removing my mask, or in between innings talking with the HC. 

Now, I will admit, it was VERY difficult adjusting to having it on the mask.  With the bill of your cap, and the mask on the frame, you get a serious case of tunnel vision (I'll come back to this).  MY ONLY real issue with this mask, was not being able to easily locate my catcher, just by looking down (when stepping up into the slot). The first inning I tried to find an adjustment.  Now, you may notice in some photos out there, the mask tends to ride just a little below the lower cross bar (and is not a "cemented in place perfect fit").  So I pulled the front (center) of it down just a little more (maybe a half inch) and I now have the top of my F2s helmet in view. It came off once while removing my mask, so I pulled up my gaiter, put it in my ball bag and finished the inning.  Then, put it back on.

In regards to the aforementioned tunnel vision, in some weird way, I kind of like it.  I can see the F1's release point, I can see the bottom outside corner of the zone, and the F2's glove. But it was a weird feeling.  It blocked out just about everything else and seemed like it MADE me focus more on what I could see.  

PRO:  Meets PIAA standard for wearing a face covering, allowed me to focus

CON: Weird feeling and hard to get used to. Came off once when removing my mask.  

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, MadMax said:

Could we please un-pin this thread, and let it drift off into the ether? @Thunderheads 

Return to a sense of normalcy, and talk about mask, CP and shoe pr0n?

you're the one that re-invigorated the thread? LOL!   Yeah, sure, that makes sense