Constant pitching changes

22 hours ago, BigBlue4u said:

advise pitcher of men on base & outs. clean plate, Assume position...

Wrong!  It's not your job to advise the pitcher of the situation.  That's the coach's job. Tell me what you are going to do when you advise the pitcher, then, with a runner on third, on a batted ball he makes a routine throw to first base and the runner from third scores.  He then claims you told him there were two outs.  Dirty end of the stick!

I had already answered on the why I was doing it and had stopped due to the board but then picked it back up. Nothing like your UIC asking you about things after the game and you tell him "cause I read it online."

But you do raise a very valid point on the mis hearing something. I agree   However most times I would actually not tell them I would ask them what the situation was.  Least thats what I started to do later.  This way I knew they knew and were not just nodding their heads at me.  SO if they got it wrong I would correct them ( none ever did)

Anyway  I understand it I do.. 

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I had already answered on the why I was doing it and had stopped due to the board but then picked it back up. Nothing like your UIC asking you about things after the game and you tell him "cause I read it online."

But you do raise a very valid point on the mis hearing something. I agree   However most times I would actually not tell them I would ask them what the situation was.  Least thats what I started to do later.  This way I knew they knew and were not just nodding their heads at me.  SO if they got it wrong I would correct them ( none ever did)

Anyway  I understand it I do..

I did this once in a LL game and the District UIC came by between innings and said, "Don't do that." So I stopped. Now when I call the first "1 more" after a pitching change. I'll suggest to F2 to let his teammates know what's going on. The good catchers know what I'm talking about and will step in front of the plate and do just that. The not so good catchers will have no clue as to what I'm asking and it usually ends with a grounder to  F5, who stomps on 3B, then tosses the ball to the mound as he's running off. All while, half his teammates are bewildered. F2 will turn and ask, are there 2 outs or 3? And I'll tell him, "there's two, because there was no runner on 2B, so no force out at 3B." While half the team is trying to figure it out, what should have been a simple third out at first is now a triple, possibly a HR on errors with 2 - 3 runs scoring. 

I did have a coach come out and ask me why I didn't tell the pitcher what was going on. I told him, that "if I was coaching them, one of my infielders would have yelled out the situation prior to the pitch. As an umpire, it's not my job."

The magic happens when F2 comes to me between innings and says, "Now I understand what you were talking about." 

• Like 1