How many runs score?

Read a situation online that some of you may have seen and has gotten a lot of discussion and has led to about a 50/50 split in interpretation.  I also have not seen it posted here yet.

Bases loaded, 1 out.  B4 sends a ball to the right field corner.  R3 and R2 score.  R1 is thrown out at the plate.  BR is ruled out at 1st on appeal for missing the base.  How many runs score?

EDIT: Forgot to add...FED rules if it matters.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No runs score  R1 being out at the plate is out number 2. BR being appealed for missing first is #3. And no runs may score if the third out happens on a force play (or one that is treated as such

Hey I guess you're right, U-E>FB! Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

It doesn't. No runs, any code. Third (or subsequent) out was made on the batter-runner before legally acquiring first base.

Posted Images

No runs score 

R1 being out at the plate is out number 2. BR being appealed for missing first is #3. And no runs may score if the third out happens on a force play (or one that is treated as such, i.e. BR being out at first).

Because the appeal was for a base being forced to (or required to attempt to acquire by rule), the BR is NOT considered to have acquired 1B on appeal. So the 3rd out becomes a force/put out, and no runs may score.

I'm sure someone that will do a much better job of explaining this will come along shortly (talking about you Maven or Senior Azul). But that is basically the jist of it.

• Like 2
No runs score 
R1 being out at the plate is out number 2. BR being appealed for missing first is #3. And no runs may score if the third out happens on a force play (or one that is treated as such, i.e. BR being out at first).
Because the appeal was for a base being forced to (or required to attempt to acquire by rule), the BR is NOT considered to have acquired 1B on appeal. So the 3rd out becomes a force/put out, and no runs may score.
I'm sure someone that will do a much better job of explaining this will come along shortly (talking about you Maven or Senior Azul). But that is basically the jist of it.
Hey I guess you're right, U-E>FB!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NWO Ump said:

EDIT: Forgot to add...FED rules if it matters.

It doesn't.

No runs, any code. Third (or subsequent) out was made on the batter-runner before legally acquiring first base.

• Like 1

FWIW the FED Rule is 9.1 Exception:

"A run is not scored if the runner advances to home plate during action in which the third out is made as follows:

a. by the batter-runner before he touches first base; or

b. by another runner being forced out; or

c. by a preceding runner who is declared out upon appeal because he failed to touch one of the bases or left a base too soon on a caught fly ball; or

d. when a third out is declared during a play resulting from a valid defensive appeal, which results in a force out (this out takes precedence if enforcement of it would negate a score); or

e. when there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, the defensive team may select the out which is to its advantage as in 2-20-2."

2-20-2 is the 4th out scenario.

1 hour ago, Recontra said:

FWIW the FED Rule is 9.1 Exception:

"A run is not scored if the runner advances to home plate during action in which the third out is made as follows:

a. by the batter-runner before he touches first base; or

b. by another runner being forced out; or

c. by a preceding runner who is declared out upon appeal because he failed to touch one of the bases or left a base too soon on a caught fly ball; or

d. when a third out is declared during a play resulting from a valid defensive appeal, which results in a force out (this out takes precedence if enforcement of it would negate a score); or

e. when there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, the defensive team may select the out which is to its advantage as in 2-20-2."

2-20-2 is the 4th out scenario.

The only code in which you can't use all of the scorekeeping pages to clean things. You have to keep the first page of that chapter.