Back in 2019 (most leagues cancelled their 2020 seasons due to COVID), I helped an umpire in need (health issues) assign the local Babe Ruth league.  He agreed to pay me $100 for my time.

Fast forward until now, and I still have not been paid.  I seriously doubt I will be paid.

I have blocked out dates until 2059, and there are other assignors that I work for.

How would you handle this?    

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree here; I guess I tend to think like you.  I really don't like the idea of bad-mouthing him to all of your umpire buddies either.  Expensive lesson learned, move on and don't put yourself in a pos

If it was over a year ago, I'd let it go and not work for them any more.  It is unprofessional of them and I wouldn't give them the opportunity to get me again, but it's been too long to make a b

Agreed.  $100 has a different impact on each person and for that reason, I'd have no problem saying go for it, but it seems like no matter what, you aren't going to get what you were promised. Howe

Posted Images

If it was over a year ago, I'd let it go and not work for them any more. 

It is unprofessional of them and I wouldn't give them the opportunity to get me again, but it's been too long to make a big deal out of it now.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

If it was over a year ago, I'd let it go and not work for them any more. 

It is unprofessional of them and I wouldn't give them the opportunity to get me again, but it's been too long to make a big deal out of it now.

I don't plan on umpiring for him ever again.  Only reason why I am saying something, is that most of the leagues my way were cancelled last year

Under the live and learn life lessons, I have a similar story that reinforced my rule that counting money as soon as you receive it is not a rude gesture.  Long story short, an acquaintance shorted me on game fees that I didn't count as soon as it hit my hand. Racked this up to my fault for not doing due diligence.  He tried again the next game by not showing up to watch his son so I went directly to his business to collect the game fee.  He tried to 'catch up' on the next game but I didn't go for it.  Turns out the next game was rained out.

So the main morale of the story is that it isn't rude to count money as soon as you get it.  

There are other reasons why I took the other games after I was shorted. But, didn't want to bore anyone more than usual...

1 hour ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Under the live and learn life lessons, I have a similar story that reinforced my rule that counting money as soon as you receive it is not a rude gesture.  Long story short, an acquaintance shorted me on game fees that I didn't count as soon as it hit my hand. Racked this up to my fault for not doing due diligence.  He tried again the next game by not showing up to watch his son so I went directly to his business to collect the game fee.  He tried to 'catch up' on the next game but I didn't go for it.  Turns out the next game was rained out.

So the main morale of the story is that it isn't rude to count money as soon as you get it.  

There are other reasons why I took the other games after I was shorted. But, didn't want to bore anyone more than usual...

I count the money when it hits my hand.  If they pay by check, I make sure that it's filled out properly.

The issue was I helped someone assign, and he never paid at all.  

Lesson learned, I don't umpire for the person at all.

2 hours ago, cyclonehokiece said:

Count your loss, block him, and move on.  Too much time has passed. 

Agreed. 

$100 has a different impact on each person and for that reason, I'd have no problem saying go for it, but it seems like no matter what, you aren't going to get what you were promised. However, that person has earned whatever they get from you sharing the truth whenever and wherever you choose.

• Like 1

Matt's advice above is the best remedy here. As you know the umpiring community in some locations is rather small and tight knit. Feel free to mention what happened to you about the payments to others who will listen. In the end, the guy will lose a lot more than $100 bucks with a hit to his reputation.

Just to play devil's advocate. You said the man had health issues, and obviously some more pressing issues than assigning baseball. Did you ever ask him for the money? Could have been an oversight. I would have made an effort to ask him after the season. A call to ask him how he was doing health - wise, and a quick mention.... "Hey, didn't you say you were gonna pay me $100 for assigning for you this season?"...After that, yeah, block and move on. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Just to play devil's advocate. You said the man had health issues, and obviously some more pressing issues than assigning baseball. Did you ever ask him for the money? Could have been an oversight. I would have made an effort to ask him after the season. A call to ask him how he was doing health - wise, and a quick mention.... "Hey, didn't you say you were gonna pay me $100 for assigning for you this season?"...After that, yeah, block and move on. 

Agree here; I guess I tend to think like you.  I really don't like the idea of bad-mouthing him to all of your umpire buddies either.  Expensive lesson learned, move on and don't put yourself in a position to be taken advantage of again, but no need to trash the guy.

Sure, it shouldn't have happened but there could be lots of reasons that he didn't get you what he said.  Life tends to throw things in our path sometimes and we forget what we were going to do. Sometimes we even think we did do what we were going/planning to do, only to get interrupted by our job/kids/spouse and then move on to the next task thinking that one was finished.  This guy may not even be aware that he stiffed you.

I say take the high road.  If you don't want to gently approach the conversation after such a long time, then simply move on and protect yourself from being used again. I just don't feel or see a need to trash the guy for what may have been an honest mistake.

• Like 2
On 2/16/2021 at 6:30 PM, Matt said:

Agreed. 

$100 has a different impact on each person and for that reason, I'd have no problem saying go for it, but it seems like no matter what, you aren't going to get what you were promised. However, that person has earned whatever they get from you sharing the truth whenever and wherever you choose.

If newer umpires ask me my opinion of the person, I give them an honest answer, and why I feel that way.

If nobody asks, I keep quiet

• Like 1
On 2/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, Mad Mike said:

Matt's advice above is the best remedy here. As you know the umpiring community in some locations is rather small and tight knit. Feel free to mention what happened to you about the payments to others who will listen. In the end, the guy will lose a lot more than $100 bucks with a hit to his reputation.

I know a lot of others will not umpire for the person, for THAT reason

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Agree here; I guess I tend to think like you.  I really don't like the idea of bad-mouthing him to all of your umpire buddies either.  Expensive lesson learned, move on and don't put yourself in a position to be taken advantage of again, but no need to trash the guy.

Sure, it shouldn't have happened but there could be lots of reasons that he didn't get you what he said.  Life tends to throw things in our path sometimes and we forget what we were going to do. Sometimes we even think we did do what we were going/planning to do, only to get interrupted by our job/kids/spouse and then move on to the next task thinking that one was finished.  This guy may not even be aware that he stiffed you.

I say take the high road.  If you don't want to gently approach the conversation after such a long time, then simply move on and protect yourself from being used again. I just don't feel or see a need to trash the guy for what may have been an honest mistake.

I am operating under the "don't ask, don't tell" mantra.  If they don't ask, I keep quiet.

I have asked about his health countless times, and asked for the money countless times over the last year and a half. 

When I asked about the money, I never would get an answer. Hence why I think I got stiffed.

Going forward- if someone asks me to help assign, I will ask for half the money up front, and half at the end of the season.  

3 minutes ago, philaump said:

I am operating under the "don't ask, don't tell" mantra.  If they don't ask, I keep quiet.

I have asked about his health countless times, and asked for the money countless times over the last year and a half. 

When I asked about the money, I never would get an answer. Hence why I think I got stiffed.

Going forward- if someone asks me to help assign, I will ask for half the money up front, and half at the end of the season.  

In this case, it sure feels like they're dodging you. 

Each person would handle it a bit differently as the responses have indicated, but you'll need to do what is best for your situation and your personality.

Best of luck!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

In this case, it sure feels like they're dodging you. 

Each person would handle it a bit differently as the responses have indicated, but you'll need to do what is best for your situation and your personality.

Best of luck!

There are plenty of other assignors that I get games from- so I will take games from them.

2 hours ago, philaump said:

and asked for the money countless times over the last year and a half. 

Then we’re done. I agree with you. An honest opinion if asked, and blocked from assigning you. .....  

On second thought- if you wanted to be a little vindictive, don’t block him. Let him assign you and just keep declining all of them. If he asks you what’s up tell him I’ll accept games when you pay me what you owe me  

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Then we’re done. I agree with you. An honest opinion if asked, and blocked from assigning you. .....  

On second thought- if you wanted to be a little vindictive, don’t block him. Let him assign you and just keep declining all of them. If he asks you what’s up tell him I’ll accept games when you pay me what you owe me  

I told him I opted out last year.  I worked about 15 games last year, down from the 60-70 I usually do (I umpire through the end of Legion playoffs).