Grand Slam... or is it?

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

There's no gap in the rules. Is there a live runner? Have they left the basepath thinking there is no further play? If both are yes, that's abandonment. If not, it isn't

Way too strict an interpretation, IMO.   The key word in the rule is "effort".  He made an effort to touch the base and came up one inch short.  That's not abandonment.   

Sometimes there's just judgment...stopping a few feet short to celebrate with the team - distracted ,forgot, whatever - is an abandonment of effort.   Making an obvious attempt to touch the base and missing is not, even if half an inch short.

So, on a solo shot, if BR obviously tries to touch home and simply misses the plate by 1/2 inch (ie. doesn't pass it) and returns to 3b dugout you're calling him out as soon as he enters the dugout, and not making defense appeal??

Personally, I think that's not in the spirit of the rule.   But if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The announcers say PU called out R3; the box score says it was an appeal, and he was called out for missing the plate. That's not what happened - no appeal was made. That, of course, could  have happe

He barely got into the dirt circle. I like abandonment better than missed base. What did  supervisor say? That's the right answer, of course.

At first I, too, thought the plate umpire committed a major mistake in calling the play the way he did. But after checking the rule book it seems he may not have been so wrong after all. Here’s what I

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Way too strict an interpretation, IMO.   The key word in the rule is "effort".  He made an effort to touch the base and came up one inch short.  That's not abandonment.   

Sometimes there's just judgment...stopping a few feet short to celebrate with the team - distracted ,forgot, whatever - is an abandonment of effort.   Making an obvious attempt to touch the base and missing is not, even if half an inch short.

So, on a solo shot, if BR obviously tries to touch home and simply misses the plate by 1/2 inch (ie. doesn't pass it) and returns to 3b dugout you're calling him out as soon as he enters the dugout, and not making defense appeal??

Personally, I think that's not in the spirit of the rule.   But if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.

If that ever happens, that is what I will call. If they have a problem with it, they can protest and maybe we can get this issue settled.

• Like 1