Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2069 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Since we are compelled or directed to wear face coverings as soccer referees, I found it problematic to use a standard whistle while wearing one. Some of my colleagues wear face coverings styled to accommodate a whistle within them. I didn't see this as an option, because I'm a "verbal" soccer referee and can't run at high pace while having a whistle clamped between my teeth anyway. I normally use a finger-whistle: 
image.png.32ced3ba8478460a8e867223b4e113e3.png

Unable to use this, I've elected to try out an electronic whistle: 
71bzU4Sz9WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Now, this is known by any of a dozen different names or brands, but they all function similarly. This particular one performs, though, very very well. I use Tone II for soccer, which is more of a bird-chirp sound, but I'll tell you this – it projects very very effectively. I coil the lanyard around my wrist and hold it in my left hand, and this allows me to operate without much hinderance at all.

I can't wait to get back to normal, but this has made my attitude and mood a bit more... cooperative and tolerable. 

:FIRE:

  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
1 hour ago, MadMax said:

Since we are compelled or directed to wear face coverings as soccer referees, I found it problematic to use a standard whistle while wearing one. Some of my colleagues wear face coverings styled to accommodate a whistle within them. I didn't see this as an option, because I'm a "verbal" soccer referee and can't run at high pace while having a whistle clamped between my teeth anyway. I normally use a finger-whistle: 
image.png.32ced3ba8478460a8e867223b4e113e3.png

Unable to use this, I've elected to try out an electronic whistle: 
71bzU4Sz9WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Now, this is known by any of a dozen different names or brands, but they all function similarly. This particular one performs, though, very very well. I use Tone II for soccer, which is more of a bird-chirp sound, but I'll tell you this – it projects very very effectively. I coil the lanyard around my wrist and hold it in my left hand, and this allows me to operate without much hinderance at all.

I can't wait to get back to normal, but this has made my attitude and mood a bit more... cooperative and tolerable. 

:FIRE:

Would you consider sticking with the electronic whistle even after? I would definitely consider it if I was still working football. I'm sure it would cut down on the IW possibilities  

Posted

I used an electronic whistle for volleyball this year.

Aside from blowing into my mask at the first net call I saw, functionally, it was great.

The only real down-side was that there is no volume control. For typical use, it was fine. But when you would normally really put some air through it (e.g., unexpected stoppage of play for a ball from adjacent court), there really isn't any way to do that.


×
×
  • Create New...