All Star Deerskin Pads??

Rock Bottom
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1122 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yes, they are unbelievably soft against your face.  The biggest knock I hear from those who have had them is that they seem too "orange".   In person, I think they look pretty good and they are amazing pads!

Don't pay that much - buy from @acpar72 for $35 I believe it was in the for sale posting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

I would have bought them from him when he sold me the frame. But I just can not get past my dislike of leather. 

I never had leather pads so I'd be interested to know what you don't like about leather.  

17 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

I never had leather pads so I'd be interested to know what you don't like about leather.  

In essence, it all comes down to feel. I tend to sweat... a lot. Especially when it is hot (or even moderately warm) outside. And I didnt like the  feel of perspiration on my face. It took mea while to get to that realization.

So.... yeah. Nothing again leather pads. Just don't like them. And thats a sham because I was really looking forward to giving my force3 a run this season. But instead I'll be selling it once I get up off my lazy butt and take photos. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I may sell my black and get the gray or deerskin.  If I do, I'll let you know @BT_Blue

By all means. I have an order at UA ready to go. But would of course prefer to maybe find a less expensive pair second hand. I have about 2 weeks to a month before I need to finally hit submit on it.

I bought a black FMMg with leather pads last fall and it's the best mask I have ever owned. It's lightweight yet strong. I like the looks of it, especially this color combo and I've gotten quite a few positive remarks about it from the brethren, coaches, players and parents..."Nice old school mask, blue!" is a common one.

I haven't tried the LUC pads but, I have sensitive facial skin (wind, sun, shaving and cheap umpire masks are all irritants). The AllStar leather are extremely soft and comfortable. I have not used this rig in summer yet so, we'll see how that goes with all the sweat. TW pads won't go on that mask but, I have a Wilson Aluminum with TW pads that I know is comfortable on hot, sweaty days as a backup.

~Dawg

I just got a set of the Deerskin pads in today. First impression, they smell a little funky out of the bag. Kind of like the red paint in ceramics class in high school. It's not overwhelming, just something I noticed. 

They are pretty soft. I'm not sure if they're more comfortable than the LUC pads though. I've been wearing the grey LUC mag pads for the better part of 3 years and I think those are extremely comfortable. I'll check back in after I wear the Deerskin pads in a game, hopefully Sunday. 

As always, I love the plastic plate in the bottom pad. I agree with @SeeingEyeDog 100%, this mask is a (lightweight) tank. 

1769580127_MagPads.thumb.jpg.add5ce4ed403425c5789df13d881c36d.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stk004 said:

I just got a set of the Deerskin pads in today. First impression, they smell a little funky out of the bag. Kind of like the red paint in ceramics class in high school. It's not overwhelming, just something I noticed. 

They are pretty soft. I'm not sure if they're more comfortable than the LUC pads though. I've been wearing the grey LUC mag pads for the better part of 3 years and I think those are extremely comfortable. I'll check back in after I wear the Deerskin pads in a game, hopefully Sunday. 

As always, I love the plastic plate in the bottom pad. I agree with @SeeingEyeDog 100%, this mask is a (lightweight) tank. 

Is that the original paint or did you get it redone? If original how is it holding up? Is it getting faded? It's hard to tell with the sun in that pic.

Just now, Rock Bottom said:

Is that the original paint or did you get it redone? If original how is it holding up? Is it getting fading? It's hard to tell with the sun in that pic.

I can take another pic when I get back home. As you can tell I'm not a photographer lol. 

They're brand new so that's the original paint. Haven't worn them yet, so they're holding up great so far :sarcasm:

2 hours ago, Stk004 said:

I can take another pic when I get back home. As you can tell I'm not a photographer lol. 

They're brand new so that's the original paint. Haven't worn them yet, so they're holding up great so far :sarcasm:

Oh, when you said you had used the LUC for 3 years I thought you meant in this mask. Thanks for the pics!

16 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@Stk004, sorry for not mentioning the "red paint" smell. I let mine out-gas in my basement for a few days and then there was no more smell. They must bag the pads right when they come off the production line and not let the smell wear off at the factory.

~Dawg

They want it to be "authentic lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@Stk004, sorry for not mentioning the "red paint" smell. I let mine out-gas in my basement for a few days and then there was no more smell. They must bag the pads right when they come off the production line and not let the smell wear off at the factory.

~Dawg

I left them out for a day as well and they smelled fine after that 

20 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

@Stk004 did you really say ceramics class??  I had to laugh.  A few of us took Home Ec just because the class was full of girls.

I had to take a year worth of art class to graduate HS so I took ceramics my senior year. It was a blast

8 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

I had to take a year worth of art class to graduate HS so I took ceramics my senior year. It was a blast

I took Pottery I and II back in high school.  I'm not sure they even offer it anymore.

I know Home Ec is gone now.  No free cookies anymore (except the computer ones).