Stealing home with potential game ending strike

Just saw this video and am wondering what would've happened if the pitch were called a strike but the runner still ruled safe. In this situation, a strike would end the game. Can anybody point me to a rule? This is definitely something I need to study up on. Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep in mind that on this play there was CI. But let's say there is an actual call to be made on the pitch. Think about who is out on strike three, and think about exceptions to when a run scores.

If the pitch had been allowed to cross the plate and it had been called strike three, the batter would be out for the third out and no run could score as Mr. Sandpaper alluded. Since it was a college

Actually, Mr. Scissors, there are several rules involved in deciding how to call this play. You can find all those rules listed in the article I have linked to below. The batter has the absolute

Keep in mind that on this play there was CI.

But let's say there is an actual call to be made on the pitch. Think about who is out on strike three, and think about exceptions to when a run scores. I'm not going to tell you the rules, because it'll do you better to find the relevant issues and then put the rules together for yourself.

• Like 2

If the pitch had been allowed to cross the plate and it had been called strike three, the batter would be out for the third out and no run could score as Mr. Sandpaper alluded. Since it was a college game in the video here is the NCAA rule (2019-2020 rule 8-2e-2 and exception)—

Batter Becomes Base Runner

SECTION 2. The batter becomes a base runner:

e. If any defensive player interferes with the batter’s swing or prevents the individual from striking at a pitched ball;

Exception—If there is catcher’s interference on a squeeze play or a steal of home, the batter is awarded first base, the run scores and all other runners advance one base on the balk created by the interference.

As Mr. Sandpaper mentioned, it was catcher’s interference on the play but the umpire did not call it. One last thing--OBR rules the same as NCAA on this but FED rules differently on this play. Hope this answer is as helpful to you as the previous one.

• Like 1

Actually, Mr. Scissors, there are several rules involved in deciding how to call this play. You can find all those rules listed in the article I have linked to below.

The batter has the absolute right to the pitch and the catcher (or any other defensive player) cannot take that away from him. However, it is possible for the batter to give up his right to the pitch. I recommend that you read an article written by Gil Imber of Close Call Sports titled Case Play 2018-3 - No Strike, No Balk, No Steal [Solved] that discusses the exact type of play asked about in the OP. Here’s the link to the article and a video that can be found in it—I hope you check them out--

https://www.closecallsports.com/2018/05/case-play-2018-3-no-strike-no-balk-no.html

• Like 1