All Star Cobalt Skullcap vs. All Star Axis Skullcap

Interesting what I came across today on All-Star's website.  Are we paying $10 more ($60 vs $50 at the All Star website) for the Cobalt just for a shortened bill and sand finish?  Interestingly the grey mesh padding is the same, but arranged differently.  Given the yellow padding is the same for what would appear to be the catcher's helmet (the Axis) I wonder about All Star's explanation of not having it in the front of the Cobalt version because that's where the protection was the biggest concern, since most catchers will be wearing the Axis bill backwards, so you'd think the yellow would be towards the bill in the Axis. I love this helmet but found this interesting.

Axis: image.png.31a826a51ce55194fd6c23aa7c14f3a5.png

Cobalt:

SEE NEXT REPLY BELOW

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the product announcement demo All-Star (Stan) said they put the yellow in the back of the Cobalt because the biggest concern about bat hits was on the sides and back of the head.  So, if that's cor

Ahhhh .........ok, I get it! 

Yes, but part of that is I would guess that since we are also a smaller market price jumps a bit to make up for that plus extra cost to produce. 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Interesting what I came across today on All-Star's website.  Are we paying $10 more ($60 vs $50 at the All Star website) for the Cobalt just for a shortened bill and sand finish?  Interestingly the grey mesh padding is the same, but arranged differently.  Given the yellow padding is the same for what would appear to be the catcher's helmet (the Axis) I wonder about All Star's explanation of not having it in the front of the Cobalt version because that's where the protection was the biggest concern, since most catchers will be wearing the Axis bill backwards, so you'd think the yellow would be towards the bill in the Axis. I love this helmet but found this interesting.

Axis: image.png.31a826a51ce55194fd6c23aa7c14f3a5.png

Cobalt:

SEE NEXT REPLY BELOW

Do you mean .... you'd think the yellow would be at the bill-side of the Cobalt as it's worn bill forward ...is that what' you meant to say?

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

Do you mean .... you'd think the yellow would be at the bill-side of the Cobalt as it's worn bill forward ...is that what' you meant to say?

On the product announcement demo All-Star (Stan) said they put the yellow in the back of the Cobalt because the biggest concern about bat hits was on the sides and back of the head.  So, if that's correct, for the Axis, which is for catchers (who normally wear the bill backwards) why isn't the yellow pad along the bill, because that would be the back of the head for catchers.  That doesn't seem consistent with the answer given for umps; unless they think umps are more likely to get hit in the back of the head than catchers.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

On the product announcement demo All-Stan (Stan) said they put the yellow in the back of the Cobalt because the biggest concern about bat hits was on the sides and back of the head.  So, if that's correct, for the Axis, which is for catchers (who normally where the bill backwards) why isn't the yellow pad along the bill, because that would be the back of the head for catchers.  That doesn't seem consistent with the answer given for umps; unless they think umps are more likely to get hit in the back of the head than catchers.  

Ahhhh .........ok, I get it! 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Are we paying $10 more ($60 vs $50 at the All Star website) for the Cobalt just for a shortened bill and sand finish?  

Yes, but part of that is I would guess that since we are also a smaller market price jumps a bit to make up for that plus extra cost to produce. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ATXBlue said:

Good point - supply and demand!  I will say I'm concerned the sand finish isn't going to hold up - I've only used a delta-flex on it trying it in the house and it already seems to be showing some wear. Time will tell - but so far I really like it, but will need to try it in some games to say for sure.