The collars on my HS two stripe shirts are starting to look like cooked bacon. I bought my first set of shirts second hand, now that I am choosing... Any strong opinions? 

I only need black for our HS season, thankfully Texas moved on from navy before I started. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thanks for all the inputs! I think I am going to have to go Smitty, as much as I want a slimmer shirt around the torso, my torso doesn't agree with said slimmer shirt.     The MLB

So who from UE was the model for this mannequin.

We are a stubborn lot, ain’t we? Just can’t seem to adopt anything new...  With TheOfficialsChoice in a commercial coma, my shirt preference on these older styles lies with Honig’s. Their collars

Posted Images

Majestic are nice, but I think availability of them is dwindling.

The Smith V2 body flex are very nice. I have them in Navy and black/grey side panel.  Imagine they come in the other popular styles and colors, just haven’t looked because I don’t need them. 

very nice material with some stretch,  sleeve length seems a little shorter as well so as the shirt size goes up, the end of the sleeve isnt hanging off the elbow

https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/S314-BK/Smitty-V2-Major-League-Replica-Umpire-Shirt-Black-with-Charcoal-Grey

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ATXBlue said:

I am talking about this style [the Classic two-stripe] 

We are a stubborn lot, ain’t we? Just can’t seem to adopt anything new... 

With TheOfficialsChoice in a commercial coma, my shirt preference on these older styles lies with Honig’s. Their collars are smaller than Smitty’s, and more refined than Cliff Keen, and the torsos are bit... snugger. Slimmer. By default, their sleeves are longer, but again, slimmer. Honig’s used to be the outfitter for all MLB umpires, so they produced their own line of shirts based on what the pro guys would most often request of the Majestic shirts they used. Sleeves were made longer, but less full so as to be easier to alter. Indeed, many a MiLB and college umpire would have their shirts altered to shorten the sleeves (and “show the guns”). Whereas Smitty shirts were more generous so as to accommodate plate gear, Honig’s almost expected the umpire to go up a size for exclusive plate use, and as such, the torso would be snugger accordingly. 

I can tell because I’ve tried wearing Honig’s short sleeve shirts on plate, in my “normal”, typical size of Large... and over plate gear, they’re shorter length than Smitty or Majestic, and don’t tuck in as... “confidently”. 

The only Honig’s shirts I wear on plate are their long-sleeve models; in this variant, in my opinion, they’ve achieved perfection. Otherwise, in short-sleeve, I only wear Majestic, Smitty, or my remaining TOC shirts on plate... and even then, if it’s a “beater” game, I’ll employ the Smitty instead of Majestic. This includes weekend tournament games out in the beating sun, or games with questionable skill levels, where pitches beat against the CP and cause bruises on the shirt... or bruises on the umpire where the CP isn’t. 

All of my “classic” shirts – the two-stripe models in black, navy w/ red & white, and Columbia (sky, or polo) blue with black collar - are Honig’s. I didn’t say you couldn’t wear Honig’s on plate, it just fits oddly unless you’re using a low-profile, modern CP... like you should be... instead of a sofa cushion. 

I don’t have Cream or Gray or Red in classic 2-stripe, I gave them away a long time ago. I do have them in 2010 single vertical stripe from TOC. I even have and use Navy in that single-stripe, just to give the ol’ raspberry to Fed, American Legion, or any other institution that will not relinquish their arthritic grip on “Navy’s all ya need!” 

“Baby” or Powder blue with navy and white trim? I burned that one :fuel:. That is not a baseball color or style.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, ATXBlue said:

Sorry should have been more specific, I am talking about this style. I do see that they have "Body Flex" in it as well, is this the shirt you were talking about @eagle_12?

image.png.9aafb00f2a5eb7c2fe9c646b98fc3ad2.png

Yes. If that is the style you need, if the body flex version is available, I’d order one just to see if it’s more what you’re looking for. 

I stopped using Honigs short sleeve after their undershirts they sold would stick out a full 2 or 3 inches from the sleeves of their 2010 style shirts. It would be fine if it was the black shirts because I had a black undershirt on. But the light blue it would be a constant source of distraction for me.

• Sad 1

I quit using Honig's for the same reason Max loves them LOL! 

Unfortunately, that goes for TOC also.  While I love their colors, I can't have two sizes of each color of shirt.  I'm not that rich yet. :fuel:

I only use Smitty now.  Around my area, it's what everyone else has and the size always fits me right - regardless of for plate or bases.  

I do wish I that I had vertical stripes instead of the old-fashioned arm and collar stripes though.  I think they'd look more slimming and they certainly offer a sharper look in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

thanks for all the inputs!

I think I am going to have to go Smitty, as much as I want a slimmer shirt around the torso, my torso doesn't agree with said slimmer shirt.  

chris farley fat guy in a little coat GIF

The MLB style has been approved for use, but the default shirt is still the two stripe in our area. Luckily everyone around town (minus one youth league) is navy free... black and sky/polo blue is all you really see.  

• Like 3
On 1/20/2021 at 10:26 PM, BT_Blue said:

I stopped using Honigs short sleeve after their undershirts they sold would stick out a full 2 or 3 inches from the sleeves of their 2010 style shirts. It would be fine if it was the black shirts because I had a black undershirt on. But the light blue it would be a constant source of distraction for me.

If this question was back in 2005 it would be the Honigs HMLS shirts with the made in USA Poly Wools made by Hardwick.

Never been able to find anything I was crazy about since then.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, FranklinT said:

If this question was back in 2005 it would be the Honigs HMLS shirts with the made in USA Poly Wools made by Hardwick.

Never been able to find anything I was crazy about since then.

I was MR. POLYWOOL! Heck, I fought buying the Smitty pants for years (what the hell was I thinking!).

But I never looked back once Hardwick stopped making their pants. The PBS3 and PBS4 (I think that's right) are total garbage. And couldn't hold an unlit candle to the only Hardwicks! 

• Like 1
On 1/20/2021 at 8:01 AM, ATXBlue said:

Sorry should have been more specific, I am talking about this style. I do see that they have "Body Flex" in it as well, is this the shirt you were talking about @eagle_12?

image.png.9aafb00f2a5eb7c2fe9c646b98fc3ad2.png

If you have to wear this style... this is the shirt you want to get. Hands down