Profanity

Shawn0331
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1158 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 1/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, Vegas_Ump said:

Funny story I heard in Poland.

Right before the game, the umpires are checking on the field, when an assistant coach says, "Let' get this G*****D******ed game started!"

The umpire felt that their authority didn't quite apply yet, but he wanted to make a point.  So he glibly responded, "Coach, don't you dare blaspheme on my field!"

Gotta love that!

Mike

Las Vegas

You had me at "Funny story I heard in Poland". 

23 hours ago, Stan W. said:

I got to add my all time example...

HS player strikes out on a smoking fast ball right down the middle....takes his bat and slams it on the plate 3 times very loudly saying F@&K..F#$%..F*&^...( everyone in the complex heard him)

I look over to Coach and told him he needed a replacement for # 18....he had been ejected for profanity....

The Player Dad says: whats going on?

The Player says: I just got FING ejected! 

The Dad say: what the F&^% for?

The Player says: for something I FING said!

The Dad says : what did you FING say?...........

Coach just looks at me and shrugs his shoulders....

That's seriously the most hilarious umpiring story I've ever heard! Thanks for sharing. I'm still laughing a day later.

I do only LL stuff (90% of it 12U and under) so its automatic there.  If a 12U or anyone else younger had said that.  "Have a seat kid" 

Had a coach once eject himself dropped an Fbomb from behind the backstop fence exclaiming to the other team he was not running up the score. His kids were just excited they were actually winning and doing well and THEY kept running thru the stop sign. 

I looked at him and when I started to open my mouth he says  "Yeah I know I am ejected" "see yah" and he walked away.

Only instance of language I have "noted" so far. 

23 hours ago, LRZ said:

Or maybe it's just the difference between Canada and the USA! It's a gross generalization, I admit, but Americans are probably a whole lot more moralistic than you Canadians.

:sarcasm:   @LRZ I'm sitting here hoping that your shots fired across the border do not start an international incident.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:44 PM, LRZ said:

Shawn, do you have automatics? If not, where do you draw the line on ejectable conduct? Lastly, since you admit the pitcher's conduct was an "ejectable offense," why didn't you eject him? What factors led to your decision not to eject?

Last year was my first year umpiring so I really haven't encountered too many situations like that.  The factors that led to my decision, right or wrong are as follows:

1.) The play was ugly though I determined it wasn't an illegal play but it looked nasty

2.) The pitcher (Offender) was sticking up for his catcher who also happened to be his brother (which I knew the relationship prior to the game starting)

3.) The players were hastily separated

4.) It wasn't loud to where everyone at the ballpark heard it

I'm sure over time I will develop more "Automatics".  For now if it is not an automatic ejection BY RULE I will just take it case by case.  I enjoy reading everyones responses.  

Respectfully,

S

9 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Nah - we'll all just apologize for getting fired at.

Not to hijack the thread...but I'm sick of all these "Canadians are so nice" posts all over the internet.  I mean, Blue Jays fans are complete buttheads (see the "beer throwing at umpires as they walk of the field" incident from a few years ago) and there are a TON of videos on YouTube of Canadian parents going batSH*# crazy at youth hockey games.

I'm beginning to think Canadians aren't really that nice...they just have a great marketing department.  :wacko::lol::FIRE:

• Haha 3

We do have a lot of guns this side of the border.

beerguy55, if we ever get a chance to have a beer or two, I'll tell you the sad story about my application for permanent residency, when I hoped to retire to Vancouver Island.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lawump said:

Not to hijack the thread...but I'm sick of all these "Canadians are so nice" posts all over the internet.  I mean, Blue Jays fans are complete buttheads (see the "beer throwing at umpires as they walk of the field" incident from a few years ago) and there are a TON of videos on YouTube of Canadian parents going batSH*# crazy at youth hockey games.

I'm beginning to think Canadians aren't really that nice...they just have a great marketing department.  :wacko::lol::FIRE:

I have no argument.   "Hockey Mom" is a terrifying species in an of itself - between a Hockey Mom and a mama grizzly with cubs it's a close call which I'd rather encounter...and I've done both.  I've seen my share of douchebags on both sides of the border.  However, I would fight a bear for you.

61826667_10157496747043243_7317589000582070272_n.jpg

62010547_10157496746913243_3596179067583332352_n.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 10:31 AM, Shawn0331 said:

Last year was my first year umpiring so I really haven't encountered too many situations like that.  The factors that led to my decision, right or wrong are as follows:

1.) The play was ugly though I determined it wasn't an illegal play but it looked nasty

2.) The pitcher (Offender) was sticking up for his catcher who also happened to be his brother (which I knew the relationship prior to the game starting)

3.) The players were hastily separated

4.) It wasn't loud to where everyone at the ballpark heard it

I'm sure over time I will develop more "Automatics".  For now if it is not an automatic ejection BY RULE I will just take it case by case.  I enjoy reading everyones responses.  

Respectfully,

S

One thing I dont think any of us have done is actually commend you on making the ejection, be it right or wrong!

To often, young and/or new umpires are to afraid to make this move as they are not sure enough of their abilities or don't want to rock the proverbial boat.

So good on you there!

BT_Blue, I think you may have misread what Shawn0331 wrote in the first post: "I DID NOT eject the pitcher even though it was an eject-able offense."

I'm also curious why it mattered that the "pitcher (Offender) was sticking up for his catcher who also happened to be his brother...."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 8:38 AM, BLWizzRanger said:

I dont have a ruling here. Only a story.

Watching my son's HS team play their cross-town rival in the sectionals, a kid was ejected for calling another player on the other team a dickhead (or something else vulger). Immediate ejection.

But the context was these kids were friends, played on the same legion team for two or more years, hung out a lot and knew how to push each other's buttons.

In fact, the ejectee was caught stealing a base and the other kid was the one tagging him out. The tagger said something smartass, the ejectee called him a dickhead as both were going to their dugouts, and boom, the ejectee was gone but not the instigator.

So, in my mind, the situation didnt call for an ejection - knowing the context or not. Yeah, i know, the ump probably didnt know all of the context. He most suredlly knew the teams and the familiarity between them. But he also heard their interaction and saw them separate going to their dugouts.

So he could have just verbalized a 'cut it out' and the situation would have been handled. IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Kid calling the other player a dick head should NOT have been ejected.  I would have quietly told him to watch his language.

Only language that warrants an ejection IMO is the use of George Carlin's 7 words