Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is it acceptable for PU to wear a regular umpire jacket while working the plate or is that a no no?  By regular umpire jacket I'm referring to what you normally see U1/2/3 wear in the pros on a cold day.  My question is for high school and below on if it is acceptable or not.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes it is acceptable. Yes you can wear long sleeves or a plate coat. There are also open bottom jackets that are designed to tuck into your pants that work on the plate. The bottom line is, be co

"Horrible" is in the eyes of the beholder. Even in warm weather, I will usually wear a long sleeve shirt on the bases. I've had a lot of skin cancer issues the past 5-6 years, and I'm not going t

Especially in High School .... Just look the part, and be comfortable!  HS baseball in Michigan starts in late March for God's sake ... I've actually worn my "ThermaBase" heavy zip coat on the pl

Posted Images

Technically yes but if you’re asking me, I’ll always say no. I’d much rather wear a long sleeve or plate coat than a jacket on the plate. Unless it’s the MLB plate jacket with the gray shoulders or another jacket cut for the plate, I wouldn’t consider it. Only time I’ve worn a jacket on the plate is for high school ball bc the shirts with the vertical stripe are crap in the long sleeve and they barely keep the wind/cold off of you. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I completely concur with Trevor ( @tpatience ), and I personally am committed to never wearing a jacket on Plate (Plate Coat, Long sleeve shirt, or die, baby!), there’s a greater topic at play here... 

7 hours ago, Shawn0331 said:

My question is for high school and below on if it is acceptable or not. 

Acceptable to who??!  I mean, whoever has the credentials or authority to appraise, judge, or determine whether or not your choice, as Plate Umpire, is acceptable  – to a completely imaginary and ambiguous standard – or not? 

 

I mean, the Fed Rulebook does diefy the Plate Umpire, making him sort of god, so who could possibly object or hold in contempt your stylistic preferences?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would rather have a LS shirt. But if it's that cold or raining, wear it. The thing for me is if you wear one on plate tuck it in.

If you dont like the elastic on bottom, you can always get a plate jacket or get a regular umpire jacket and have elastic removed by seamstress to use on the plate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tpatience said:

Technically yes but if you’re asking me, I’ll always say no. I’d much rather wear a long sleeve or plate coat than a jacket on the plate. 

^^^^ This.

I will not wear a pullover jacket on the plate. Ever. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a link to a blog by Jim Kirk of Ump-Attire you might find helpful. It was written in October 2018 and is titled Umpire Plate Coats: Why Veterans Wear Long Sleeve Shirts And Jackets Instead.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Blog/Umpire-Plate-Coats-Why-Veterans-Wear-Long-Sleeve-Shirts-and-Jackets-Instead

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shawn0331 said:

Is it acceptable for PU to wear a regular umpire jacket while working the plate or is that a no no?  By regular umpire jacket I'm referring to what you normally see U1/2/3 wear in the pros on a cold day.  My question is for high school and below on if it is acceptable or not.  

Yes it is acceptable. Yes you can wear long sleeves or a plate coat. There are also open bottom jackets that are designed to tuck into your pants that work on the plate.

The bottom line is, be comfortable when working games. If you need a jacket so you're not freezing and only have a pull over, by all means wear it. Honestly, nobody cares. If that's all you have, then wear it and others be darned. Not everyone can afford an expensive plate coat or all sorts of extra gear. Sometimes it takes a while to acquire a large variety of gear.

There's not a coach, HS and below, in the history of ever, that gives a crap about whether you wear a "proper" jacket on the plate. They only care about your performance and demeanor, and even then if you have a great game, often times most jerks still think you're horse you know what.

It is important to look sharp with regards to your equipment, however, no one cares about if are following the "proper" uniform etiquette. As long as your uniform is clean and in good shape, you're fine. I've commented on this forum about my thoughts regarding uniform "police" in our hobby/vocation. I'll just leave it at that.

Yes you should always strive for excellence and following proper procedures. But it's a jacket. Someone gets heartburn over that?

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

I very rarely will wear a jacket on the plate. However, if I do, it is because it is pouring or really cold. Beyond that, it is a long sleeve or the cutoff jacket with the sleeves off (I love that thing on the dish! Lol).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, Senor Azul said:

Here’s a link to a blog by Jim Kirk of Ump-Attire you might find helpful. It was written in October 2018 and is titled Umpire Plate Coats: Why Veterans Wear Long Sleeve Shirts And Jackets Instead.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Blog/Umpire-Plate-Coats-Why-Veterans-Wear-Long-Sleeve-Shirts-and-Jackets-Instead

We all like and respect Jim but let’s not confuse the intent of these “narratives” and “articles.”


While Mr Kennedy was employed with UA (he might have written that article and the author name was switched when he left) spoke negatively of plate coats.  Recently, he came out promoting the OutWest one saying “they figured out how to make it modern and athletic.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, JonnyCat said:

Someone gets heartburn over that?

Nah, I get heartburn from eating something fast between games & venues, only to arrive at the next venue and my partner implores, “Yeah, can you take the first two plates?” 

Ugh. :huh2:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Nah, I get heartburn from eating something fast between games & venues, only to arrive at the next venue and my partner implores, “Yeah, can you take the first two plates?” 

Ugh. :huh2:

Thats why I take 2 or 3 different meds to control my acid reflux. Pretty sure no F2 in the world wants me to take a shot to the gut and end up with my between game hot dog and Gatorade all over his nice clean jersey. :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with JonnyCat, with one minor deviation. There are only two people whose opinion about this matters: you and possibly your assigner. And the latter only matters if it might affect your schedule or moving up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, BT_Blue said:

I very rarely will wear a jacket on the plate. However, if I do, it is because it is pouring or really cold. Beyond that, it is a long sleeve or the cutoff jacket with the sleeves off (I love that thing on the dish! Lol).

 

Same.  Long sleeve shirts I love, and you can layer up underneath if cold.  However, it does little for moisture.  Also very cold wind, especially east winds off a certain lake where I live, it is almost necessary to survive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.b4d7ad22521fb1269dae0bff31014679.jpeg    MLB Umpires Missed 34,294 Pitch Calls in 2018. Time for Robo-umps? | BU  Today | Boston University   Home plate umpire Jeff Nelson calls a strike during the fifth inning...  News Photo - Getty Images

All three look extremely professional.  Unless your assignor/association has a mandatory uniform policy...what does it matter?

And a little bit of history...in 1997 MiLB umpires were not allowed to wear a "base jacket" on the plate.  Back then, you wore a short sleeve shirt or a plate coat (there were no long sleeve shirts).   In 1998, us MiLBer's were suddenly allowed to wear a "pullover" jacket on the plate. 

The reason for change in terminology and policy?  MiLB took over running umpire development from MLB and they didn't want to pay for plate coats anymore.  Starting in 1998, MiLB umpires stopped getting plate coats issued as part of their uniforms.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I havent worn a pullover on the plate in over 10 years.  Now i will wear a shell on the plate, which is short sleeve pullover, but  will not wear a pullover.  To me it just doesnt look as good.  I would rather wear my plate coat or a long sleeve shirt.  If its raining, im going to get wet regardless.  Oh well.  

 

My other pet peeve, and when I am working a game with a younger umpire in my HS association, I wont let them do this.  Is wear a long sleeve shirt on the bases.  Long sleeve umpire shirts are for the plate.  How many MiLB games, or MLB games, or College games have you seen Base guys wear the long sleeve shirt. Non, i cant remember one instance.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone remember a thread several years ago with a photo of Jim Joyce, working the plate, wearing a short sleeve shirt over long sleeves? I remarked, something like "He won't get varsity games that way."

"My other pet peeve, and when I am working a game with a younger umpire in my HS association, I wont let them do this.  Is wear a long sleeve shirt on the bases." There are days when short sleeves are not warm enough, yet a jacket is too much.  No offense, wvumpire1984, but if you tried this with me (granted, I'm hardly a younger umpire), one of us would block the other on Arbiter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LRZ said:

Anyone remember a thread several years ago with a photo of Jim Joyce, working the plate, wearing a short sleeve shirt over long sleeves? I remarked, something like "He won't get varsity games that way."

"My other pet peeve, and when I am working a game with a younger umpire in my HS association, I wont let them do this.  Is wear a long sleeve shirt on the bases." There are days when short sleeves are not warm enough, yet a jacket is too much.  No offense, wvumpire1984, but if you tried this with me (granted, I'm hardly a younger umpire), one of us would block the other on Arbiter.

DeMuth used to do this don’t recall Joyce doing that.  But could have forgotten!

B2168B2A-D974-4511-B33B-6AE4A58F17EC.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wvumpire1984 said:

I havent worn a pullover on the plate in over 10 years.  Now i will wear a shell on the plate, which is short sleeve pullover, but  will not wear a pullover.  To me it just doesnt look as good.  I would rather wear my plate coat or a long sleeve shirt.  If its raining, im going to get wet regardless.  Oh well.  

 

My other pet peeve, and when I am working a game with a younger umpire in my HS association, I wont let them do this.  Is wear a long sleeve shirt on the bases.  Long sleeve umpire shirts are for the plate.  How many MiLB games, or MLB games, or College games have you seen Base guys wear the long sleeve shirt. Non, i cant remember one instance.  

 

While I’ve never worn a long sleeve on the bases - essentially because I’ve never seen anyone do it and I have a light jacket - it doesn’t make sense that it’s “for the plate”. It’s the same version of a short sleeve, which is worn on both the plate and bases. In theory, it shouldn’t matter.  
 

Couldn’t we make the same argument about the short sleeve jacket? “That’s for the bases”. Same logic. 
 

HS ball around here, the majority of guys are in the standard pullover jacket on the plate. It looks totally normal. Not everyone is buying a plate coat, and sometimes it’s too much for a long sleeve. I go long sleeve on the plate as much as possible because I feel less boxy/restricted, not the look, but sometimes wind/rain/temp necessitates the jacket. I’m one of a handful of guys that I’ve seen that even own a long sleeve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem I have with the pullover jacket is that unless it's really cold there is too much condensation and it doesn't breathe well at all.  I bought it with the elastic bottom before I knew better, but if the tuck-in version ventilates as poorly as the elastic bottom one I'm glad I didn't go tuck-in, because my pants would be soaked with sweat.  At least with the elastic I can shake it out discreetly between innings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all about limiting the barrier to entry. Umpiring already has an expensive start up cost, when we start adding in unnecessary equipment and uniform "rules" we are only increasing that.

Is your shirt the same color/style? Are your pants clean and wrinkle free? Shoes look like you have cleaned them? Lets go call the game. Like others have said, I would much rather my partner be in the game and not thinking about how cold he is/ how he's going to buy a long sleeve shirt right after the game so he is in line with the uniform regulations and doesn't have to gut it out in a SS shirt behind the plate again. 

Now I call in Central Texas, we have maybe 4-6 weeks where it is even possible that jacket weather and baseball intersect. With that in mind YMMV. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, wvumpire1984 said:

this is why long sleeve shirts are made. No reason for a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve.  When youre trying to move up, this doesnt look good.  I have uniform standards for my guys. You follow them or you dont work.

Agreed on that for sure, but I think where you lost me earlier in the thread was no LS on the bases.

Sounds like you are an assigner so at the end of the day you can have whatever standards you want, but are coaches out there that are wearing a beanie, hoodie, and baseball pants really thinking "Oh this base guy is wearing long sleeves/ that plate umpire is wearing a pullover, what a slob." ? I just don't know about that.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.






×
×
  • Create New...