System 7 Question

Ump0000
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1169 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

:The System7 shins came in smaller sizes. But I'm guessing where ever you are finding it is out of stock of the smaller sizes. I would bet you could cut padding and such. But the issue is in ankle to knee height. Which is how shin guards are measured.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, Ump0000 said:

I'm looking at the System 7 shins and CP. I was wondering:

1. The smallest size in shins is 17. I'm 5'7" and usually wear 15 or 16s. Are the shins playable enough were the knee cap area will essentially act like a thigh cap?

2. Is the CP bulky like the West Vest?

1. My advice is buy F3 shins. 14.5" fit great and you'll forget you're wearing them.  When you finally do get hit, you'll be so glad you bought them as they're practically bulletproof.  When you buy shins too large for you, they fit oddly and can hinder your appearance and ability to run from my experience.  The F3 shins are also pretty low profile, many can even wear them using combo pants instead of plate pants. I've even read of guys on here able to fit them under their base pants!  Bonus - F3 is cheaper than the new All Star guards.
  2. At the risk of offending so many who seem to think the new All Star Cobalt is the best CP made currently (and one of the best ever), I humbly disagree.   I think it fits oddly and I am not a fan of it. I sold mine to another guy on here.  While I cannot speak to it's comfort in hot weather, I can say it is 'solid'. 
  • The pros - it feels very sturdy like it would protect you well. The plastic is harder and thicker than most CP's due to being American made.  The padding is low profile which is desirable. It is flexible to put on, there are no head/neck issues on this model like there were with some on the previous one.  I suppose I can add adjust-ability as a pro also.  You can adjust: shoulders, extension, etc.
  • The cons - the strap connects in the wrong place and makes it hard to get a good, comfortable fit without moving it, the extension tends to flare out if you wear it, the shoulders won't lay flat on me, there's the flaring issue again and I'm only a 46-48" jacket,  so I'm not that wide.  For a $190 CP, I expected more (maybe too much more perhaps).

To be honest, all CP's are hot and I think I've tried all that's out there today (Douglas, Wilson Gold and Platinum, F3 V1 and V3, Schutt/Adams HDX XV, Champion, All American, V-Sport, All Star CPU4000 aka System Seven and the Cobalt).  You will sweat in all of them, or maybe it's just me that sweats regardless?  The coolest (temperature speaking) CP I've ever worn was the Schutt/Adams - but I hate their Velcro.  The safest and most comfortable I've felt is in the Wilson Gold. 

If I were to design the perfect CP, for me, it would be a Wilson Gold with the pec pads removed and a Schutt/Adams D3O foam pad jacket. I suppose that I might also desire something removable/adjustable in the pec pad area like F3 or the All Star CPs.

You asked for opinions on the All Star.  I tried to give you mine along with my thinking as to why I dislike them. Ultimately, you will need to check it out for yourself.  Too many times, umpires tend to say what's the hottest, newest item is the best - instead of testing it on themselves.  Trial and error is how I figured out what I liked and kept.

The top three CP's that I've used, in no particular order:  Wilson Gold, Douglas with gap protection and All Star CPU4000 V1. Narrowly missing out would be Schutt/Adams. 

The best shins I've worn:  Douglas and F3 - but there simply is no arguing that the  F3's are much lighter, cooler and lower profile.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:
  1. My advice is buy F3 shins. 14.5" fit great and you'll forget you're wearing them.  When you finally do get hit, you'll be so glad you bought them as they're practically bulletproof.  When you buy shins too large for you, they fit oddly and can hinder your appearance and ability to run from my experience.  The F3 shins are also pretty low profile, many can even wear them using combo pants instead of plate pants. I've even read of guys on here able to fit them under their base pants!  Bonus - F3 is cheaper than the new All Star guards.
  2. At the risk of offending so many who seem to think the new All Star is the best CP made currently (and one of the best ever), I humbly disagree.   I think it fits oddly and I am not a fan of it. I sold mine to another guy on here.  While I cannot speak to it's comfort in hot weather, I can say it is 'solid'. 
  • The pros - it feels very sturdy like it would protect you well. The plastic is harder and thicker than most CP's due to being American made.  The padding is low profile which is desirable. It is flexible to put on, there are no head/neck issues on this model like there were with some on the previous one.  I suppose I can add adjust-ability as a pro also.  You can adjust: shoulders, extension, etc.
  • The cons - the strap is in the wrong place and hard to get a good comfortable fit without moving it, the extension tends to flare out if you wear it, the shoulders won't lay flat on me, there's the flaring issue again and I'm only a 46-48" jacket,  so I'm not that wide.  For a $190 CP, I expected much more (maybe too much perhaps).

To be honest, all CP's are hot and I think I've tried all that's out there today (Douglas, Wilson Gold and Platinum, F3 V1 and V3, Schutt/Adams HDX XV, Champion, All American, V-Sport, All Star CPU4000 V1 and V2, etc.).  You will sweat in all of them, or maybe it's just me that sweats regardless?  The coolest (temperature speakign) CP I've ever worn was the Schutt/Adams - but I hate their Velcro.  The safest and most comfortable I've felt is in the Wilson Gold.  The perfect CP to me is a Wilson Gold with the pec pads removed and a Schutt/Adams D3O foam pad jacket.  I don't have the pad jacket, but it's not for lack of trying to think of a way to make it. 

You asked for opinions on the All Star.  I tried to give you mine along with my thinking as to why I dislike them. Ultimately, you will need to check it out for yourself.  Too many times, umpires tend to say what's the hottest, newest item is the best - instead of testing it on themselves.  Trial and error is how I figured out what I like and kept.

While I'm not going to disagree w/ @wolfe_man because I haven't tried on the Cobalt CP.  Keith is a great source of gear info, and his word can be trusted for sure!   That being said, the OP appears to be a smaller guy and he probably wouldn't be needing the extension, so the extension info above wouldn't pertain to him.  Regardless, Ump-Attire has free returns if it doesn't fit (I'm almost positive of this @JimKirk ?? )   If correct, get one, and try it yourself! :nod: 

• Like 1

Wait a minute here!

The OP was asking about the System7. Not the Cobalt. That is unless he is mixing his names up which happens a lot.

Giving thoughts on the Cobalt (of which I am on the "pro" side of so far) is great and all. But NOT the equipment version he is asking about.

@Ump0000can we get some clarification on this? Are you looking at the new Cobalt line? Or the previous System7 line?

• Like 1

My apologies @Ump0000and @BT_Blue, I misread the OP.    Although, my post did reference that the CPU4000 aka System Seven was also as a good CP.

Now on-target this time:

1. I really like the CPU4000 aka System 7 CP.  I don't find it any bulkier than any other CP out there.  It's comfortable, breathes better than most and offers excellent protection.  For me personally, I don't think there's a better CP out there for the money ($129 at UA right now).  I'll be honest, I've been thinking of grabbing one as my backup at that price point.
  2. I have no experience with the System 7 shins, but they look interesting.  Personally, I'd still go F3 over anything else out there today for baseball umpires.  They're simply that good and cheaper than the other options so you're saving money too.

6 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

My apologies @Ump0000and @BT_Blue, I misread the OP.    Although, my post did reference the CPU4000 also as a good CP.

Now on-target this time:

1. I really like the CPU4000 aka System 7 CP.  I don't find it any bulkier than any other CP out there.  It's comfortable, breathes better than most and offers excellent protection.  For me personally, I don't think there's a better CP out there for the money ($129 at UA right now).  I'll be honest, I've been thinking of grabbing one as my backup at that price point.
  2. I have no experience with the System 7 shins, but they look interesting.  Personally, I'd still go F3 over anything else out there today for baseball umpires.  They're simply that good and cheaper than the other options so you're saving money too.

No problem. I appreciate the input.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

To be honest, all CP's are hot and I think I've tried all that's out there today (Douglas, Wilson Gold and Platinum, F3 V1 and V3, Schutt/Adams HDX XV, Champion, All American, V-Sport, All Star CPU4000 V1 and V2, etc.).  You will sweat in all of them, or maybe it's just me that sweats regardless?  The coolest (temperature speaking) CP I've ever worn was the Schutt/Adams - but I hate their Velcro.  The safest and most comfortable I've felt is in the Wilson Gold. 

The top three CP's that I've used, in no particular order:  Wilson Gold, Douglas with gap protection and All Star CPU4000 V1. Narrowly missing out would be Schutt/Adams. 

What is the All-Star CPU4000 V2? I didn't realize they had a V2 of that model, or are you calling the Cobalt a V2?

17 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

What is the All-Star CPU4000 V2? I didn't realize they had a V2 of that model, or are you calling the Cobalt a V2?

That's what I did in my haste.  Sorry, now I am confusing everyone.  There is no V2 - it's a Cobalt. 

I have gone back and edited my post, but I can't correct everyone's quotations from my original post.  I should have waited to post anything this morning, but started to post and then was distracted by other work and ended up making an inaccurate post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

My apologies @Ump0000and @BT_Blue, I misread the OP.    Although, my post did reference that the CPU4000 aka System Seven was also as a good CP.

Now on-target this time:

I really wanted to like the S7 cp. But I just couldn't do it. And by "do it" I meant stick my head through the opening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the CPU4000, but I've only had it, and the Schutt/Adams XV-HDX.  The CPU4000 is heavier on a scale, but feels much lighter when wearing it.  I didn't get a chance to wear it this year in any game above 85, but based on that game it seemed just slightly hotter than the Adams, and I think it's more protective.  I liked it so much I bought a second one as back-up (wanted to get it before they are gone), and I doubt I'll use the Adams now at all.  I was thinking about using the Adams for younger kids, but the CPU4000 is just more comfortable to me, even though it's overkill for some games there's no downside to wearing it.  I don't find it bulky at all.

• Thanks 1

I have the S7 shins and love them.  My only improvement suggestion area, which does not looks like it was addressed in the new Cobalt shins, is I find the ankle protection is vulnerable.  It does have a firm plastic insert, but not as protective as the Wilson flaps only slightly overlaps at the top of my mid NB plate shoes. 

However, they are low profile, light, and very easy to move around in.  They breathe very well in hot temps and the pads come right out for easy washing.  I'm only 5'11''.  I bought a 17" pair and cut the top extension off.  They fit like a glove with perfect placement in my knee cap and you cannot tell they were cut. That might solve your problem.  If the price is right, go for it!

• Like 1

I have had both the CP and the SG.  I love the CP.  I know it is more of a line backer look than some prefer but, the way it fits me and the design how it hangs literally make me forget I am wearing it.  The design is such that it doesn't need to be drawn tight against you to stay in place.  It is as protective as anything else out there. I will note that I also have a Douglas that I wear and like.  

The shins never worked for me.  I am 5-8 and they always would spin when I would run on a rotation.  I was constantly needing to turn them back around.  They, as opposed to the CP, were a constant distraction.  After reading so much about the F3 shins, I took a leap and bought them in a 14.5".  They are the real deal.  Work perfectly with the high top plate shoes and they are bomb proof.  I also have a pair of Wilson Platinum in 15.5" that I wear but not really often as they are heavier, hotter and less comfortable than the F3.  Hope this helps.       

19 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

but started to post and then was distracted by other work and ended up making an inaccurate post.

Story of my (umpire-empire) life! 

On 1/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ump0000 said:

1. The smallest size in shins is 17. I'm 5'7" and usually wear 15 or 16s. Are the shins playable enough were [sic] the knee cap area will essentially act like a thigh cap?

You should never have to compromise the fit of gear. As Arik ( @BT_Blue) mentioned, the All-Star System 7 shinguards were made in shorter sizes, but they may not be available for retail purchase anymore since All-Star progressed to the Cobalt line. Would I wear them? Sure! The S7 shins are very good, certainly better fitting and lighter than any of the Wilson shins, but the Force3’s are just that much better, dollar for dollar. 

On 1/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ump0000 said:

2. Is the CP bulky like the West Vest?

Huh! Funny! You found the West Vest to be... what’s that? “Bulky”?... too, huh? Hmmm... must be a characteristic of a CP that hasn’t improved in 20 years! 

Anyway, the All-Star System 7 CPU4000 provides the most amount of coverage, short of wearing a bear suit. The carapace plates are shaped and segmented in such a way so as to conform to your torso as best as possible. My fellow Vulture and colleague @KenBAZ owns and uses both the CPU4000 and the Force3 UnEqual (V2? V3? Ken?) and he has been mightily impressed by the CPU4K. I fully endorse it for what it represents, save how confining the neck opening is. While it does fit me, I as a gear-geek look at it and wonder why/how All-Star could have made it more variable or accommodating. That’s it’s only real limitation. 

Otherwise, I will always stump for (my) Schutt-Adams XV, if only because it is the lightest and most well-ventilated CP in the market. Are there things that the CPU4K and Cobalt CPU5K do better? Certainly (such as coming with an actual flex harness by nature, and having an adjustable width). 

Know what “CP” means to Wilson? Couch Potato. Wear a West Vest, using that bulky couch-cushion upholstery foam, and ya look like a spud. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The System7 CP is one of two that I would LOVE to have and use. I have already stated my reason why I couldn't do the S7. The one one I am hard up for. And it is no secret to those on here that know me, is the +POS Cobra. That thing looks AWESOME! Its just a damn shame the company is a total trash fire. And a shell of what it was back in the mid to late 90s.

Thanks to the generosity of Matt Arcovio and the awesome people at All Star. I will get to rock a Cobalt (when ever I ACTUALLY get to get back on the field again.)

My ONLY major complaint about both the System7 and the Cobalt is the harness. More specifically, as a bigger guy (width wise), the side straps DO NOT work for me. They are far to short! 

Huh! Funny! You found the West Vest to be... what’s that? “Bulky”?... too, huh? Hmmm... must be a characteristic of a CP that hasn’t improved in 20 years! 
Anyway, the All-Star System 7 CPU4000 provides the most amount of coverage, short of wearing a bear suit. The carapace plates are shaped and segmented in such a way so as to conform to your torso as best as possible. My fellow Vulture and colleague [mention=2897]KenBAZ[/mention] owns and uses both the CPU4000 and the Force3 UnEqual (V2? V3? Ken?) and he has been mightily impressed by the CPU4K. I fully endorse it for what it represents, save how confining the neck opening is. While it does fit me, I as a gear-geek look at it and wonder why/how All-Star could have made it more variable or accommodating. That’s it’s only real limitation. 

I rotate between the System 7 an a UE V2. I really like the maximum protection of the System 7. BTW, I rotate two pairs of Force3 shins. They are so good that I don't want to do a plate without them on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1