Studying the Rule Book

ATXBlue

@LRZ makes a great point, and I agree.  Start with the definitions, and refresh yourself with them often.  I like to take the book by sections and start reviewing them shortly after the new year bit by bit.  If you keep yourself to a section at a time, you're less likely to become overwhelmed with it all.  (that's how it works for me at least) :nod: 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, Jimurray said:

3 pages every BM. I might get in trouble again but that's how you do it.

If using the NFHS Rule book, use one of the three pages to wipe with? :fuel:

What? In a digital age, Fed can’t be bothered to produce and circulate a digital version? Well, if you’re going to provide me paper, then... 

Note: I’m not saying that NFHS Rules are for sh!t*, I’m saying the physical, printed book is. We know why they continue to publish it. 

* I may be implying, but that is inconclusive.

• Haha 2

haha @MadMax I actually did snag a Kindle version of the rule book last year. I am a big proponent of digital books, but for this one I found it lacking. 

I've been going with the @Thunderheads method and mixing in the case book when I want an example. Between that and the Evans manual, I am keeping busy getting ready to get on the field for the spring. 

New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

If using the NFHS Rule book, use one of the three pages to wipe with? :fuel:

What? In a digital age, Fed can’t be bothered to produce and circulate a digital version? Well, if you’re going to provide me paper, then... 

Note: I’m not saying that NFHS Rules are for sh!t*, I’m saying the physical, printed book is. We know why they continue to publish it. 

* I may be implying, but that is inconclusive.

NFHS does have dogital versions of the rule and casebook. I paid about $7 each for the Ibook version which has a good search and chapter tool. Just be careful not to drop the phone in the tank:)

• Haha 1

I am an old man, not entirely comfortable or adept in today's digital universe. As a Ph.D. in literature and appellate lawyer (where I spent most of my days reading case law and records of trials), I prefer the printed page, so I hope that the governing bodies in the three sports that I work do not go all-digital. I find it easier to flip real pages back and forth. My iPad is 10 years old and I do not have a smart phone, so my access to digital rule books would be limited to my desktop. YMMV.

I keep a game journal and in addition to reviewing the rule book on anything that comes up during the season after the game, I also go back in pre-season and look back on every rule I was uncertain about and review it again, too.

The standard I am working towards (and I am far, far from it...) is knowing the written rules well enough to recite them back to a player or coach as part of a ruling, appeal or discussion, etc.

I suspect after over 100 years now of organized baseball that there's a reason why the rules are written the way they are. My observations would suggest that the umpires who can cite the rules word for word from the rule book seem to have the fewest issues with coaches accepting their rulings.

~Dog

3 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I keep a game journal and in addition to reviewing the rule book on anything that comes up during the season after the game, I also go back in pre-season and look back on every rule I was uncertain about and review it again, too.

The standard I am working towards (and I am far, far from it...) is knowing the written rules well enough to recite them back to a player or coach as part of a ruling, appeal or discussion, etc.

I suspect after over 100 years now of organized baseball that there's a reason why the rules are written the way they are. My observations would suggest that the umpires who can cite the rules word for word from the rule book seem to have the fewest issues with coaches accepting their rulings.

~Dog

It may be the recitation, or it may be the confidence that one has as a result of knowing the rule well enough to recite it. Just like much else in officiating, there's an art to communicating the rule. Sometimes, being succinct is more powerful than using the word salad that is often found in the rules. Other times, the verbiage is a useful tool. The trick is to know when to use each. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, LRZ said:

I am an old man, not entirely comfortable or adept in today's digital universe. As a Ph.D. in literature and appellate lawyer (where I spent most of my days reading case law and records of trials), I prefer the printed page, so I hope that the governing bodies in the three sports that I work do not go all-digital. I find it easier to flip real pages back and forth. My iPad is 10 years old and I do not have a smart phone, so my access to digital rule books would be limited to my desktop. YMMV.

I study the rule book based on my career experience too.   Outline like its the bar exam, bold certain lines like you would important case law, and distinguish NFHS from NCAA and ORB where necessary.   Worked for me on the bar, it'll get me through umpiring.  (Some rec leagues around here use mlb rules, frustrating)

But seriously, I find outlining to be the best strategy.  And a lot of the book is unimportant start with the main categories for an ump, for me I concentrate on 

1 balks/ illegal pitch 

2 obstruction 

3 interference 

4 dead ball / live ball

5 remedies aka what is awarded by rule and judgement 

10 hours ago, Beacher80 said:

I study the rule book based on my career experience too.   Outline like its the bar exam, bold certain lines like you would important case law, and distinguish NFHS from NCAA and ORB where necessary.   Worked for me on the bar, it'll get me through umpiring.  (Some rec leagues around here use mlb rules, frustrating)

But seriously, I find outlining to be the best strategy.  And a lot of the book is unimportant start with the main categories for an ump, for me I concentrate on 

1 balks/ illegal pitch 

2 obstruction 

3 interference 

4 dead ball / live ball

5 remedies aka what is awarded by rule and judgement 

Thats a pretty decent idea. And if works for you. Go for it. 

However... you left off a very important section of the rulebook. And the one you should always start and end with. In OBR it is Rule 2: Definitions. It is the groundwork of all we do. So becoming versed there might be the most important Rule you read.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:25 AM, BT_Blue said:

Thats a pretty decent idea. And if works for you. Go for it. 

However... you left off a very important section of the rulebook. And the one you should always start and end with. In OBR it is Rule 2: Definitions. It is the groundwork of all we do. So becoming versed there might be the most important Rule you read.

+1 for the definitions suggestion. You get a pretty good overview of a lot of the tricker rules, and you MUST understand the definitions to untangle the harder to understand rules.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:25 AM, BT_Blue said:

3 hours ago, Biscuit said:

+1 for the definitions suggestion. You get a pretty good overview of a lot of the tricker rules, and you MUST understand the definitions to untangle the harder to understand rules.

Give credit where due: see post #4, above.

• Like 1

The Definitions of Terms in the OBR is no longer rule 2—in the 2019 edition the definitions start on page 144 following rule 9. It’s more of an appendix now even though it is not listed as an appendix in the table of contents. The change in placement for the definitions was made in the 2015 edition from rule 2 to the back of the book.

Both FED and NCAA still put their definitions in rule 2 of their respective books. And it was indeed Mr. LRZ who first recommended in this thread that the definitions is a good starting point.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Along the lines of @johnnyg08's suggestion ... after every game (or day of games) think about the oddest thing that happened, or that one thing that is bugging you because you aren't quite sure ... go home and look it up.

If you are using a digital version, use the search feature.  We all know the rulebooks like to bury important things in unusual sections.  A digital search is a great way to find ALL 623 times a word is used in the book.

Follow up that rule you looked up ... think of another variation or make sure you know how all players are affected (e.g., OK, the batter was out but what do I do with the runners?).

• Like 1