NFHS injured player rule

mac266
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1191 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

NFHS Rule:  "A player or coach who is bleeding or who has an open wound

shall be prohibited from participating further in the game until appropriate

treatment has been administered. If medical care or treatment can be

administered in a reasonable amount of time, the individual would not have

to leave the game. The length of time that is considered reasonable is umpire

judgment. The re-entry rule applies to starters. If there is any amount of

blood on the uniform, it shall be changed or cleaned before that individual

participates again."

So let's say I'm behind the plate and take a back swing to the head.  It cuts me open and I get blood all over my shirt.  A medic is present and bandages me up so there is no more active bleeding, and says no concussion.  So I can continue umpiring the game with my bloody shirt?  The rule only addresses players and coaches.

But common sense and caring about people around you would dictate that you should at least change your shirt. It isnt like you only brought one! And I would probably do what I can to clean my chest protector as well.

It is tough to tell someone e to do something that you wouldn't even do yourself.

14 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

But common sense and caring about people around you would dictate that you should at least change your shirt. It isnt like you only brought one! And I would probably do what I can to clean my chest protector as well.

It is tough to tell someone e to do something that you wouldn't even do yourself.

Common sense, and caring about people? :HS 

By rule, there can't be any contact with an umpire, right?   However, players DO INDEED have contact, or can have contact with one another.   I think that's the difference there.   "Should you?"  In the grand scheme of things, yeah, I think it would make everyone feel better (especially with how stupid people can get about things).... but...

• Like 1

2014 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 9: The home plate umpire, while positioned to make a call on a runner attempting to score, is hit by the ball in the mouth. His uniform shirt and pants become soaked with blood. RULING: The NFHS Sports Medicine Advisory Committee re-affirmed that if blood is on an umpire’s uniform, he will need to have it cleaned with the proper solution by a trainer, or change his uniform/gear. If he is unable to do so and he does not have spare clothing, and his partner does not have any gear or uniform pieces that will fit, it is permissible to wear what is needed to be able to finish the game. (3-1-6)

By the way, the rule cited in the OP is 2019 FED rule 3-1-6.

• Like 2

SITUATION 9: The home plate umpire, while positioned to make a call on a runner attempting to score, is hit by the ball in the mouth. His uniform shirt and pants become soaked with blood. RULING: The NFHS Sports Medicine Advisory Committee re-affirmed that if blood is on an umpire’s uniform, he will need to have it cleaned with the proper solution by a trainer, or change his uniform/ gear. If he is unable to do so and he does not have spare clothing, and his partner does not have any gear or uniform pieces that will fit, it is permissible to wear what is needed to be able to finish the game. (3-1-6)

.....geeeez

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

True, but I own two in each color -- one each for working the plate (with a chest protector) and for working the bases.  So they are different sizes and I would look ridiculous putting on the wrong size or the wrong color.

Yeah, that's basic bodily fluid safety. These precautions have been around since HIV. 

Most field first aid kits should have a spray (I think it's peroxide) that kills all the cells and viruses in a blood stain. That's what they spray on uniforms, gym floors, etc. when players are injured.

It works on umpire equipment too. ;)

13 hours ago, mac266 said:

True, but I own two in each color -- one each for working the plate (with a chest protector) and for working the bases.  So they are different sizes and I would look ridiculous putting on the wrong size or the wrong color.

You'll look even more ridiculous umpiring in a bloody shirt or no shirt at all.

Switch to the other color shirt,  Honestly, no one who knows the details will care

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

SITUATION 9: The home plate umpire, while positioned to make a call on a runner attempting to score, is hit by the ball in the mouth. His uniform shirt and pants become soaked with blood. RULING: The NFHS Sports Medicine Advisory Committee re-affirmed that if blood is on an umpire’s uniform, he will need to have it cleaned with the proper solution by a trainer, or change his uniform/gear. If he is unable to do so and he does not have spare clothing, and his partner does not have any gear or uniform pieces that will fit, it is permissible to wear what is needed to be able to finish the game. (3-1-6)

This is why you bring EVERYTHING to your games.

23 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

it is permissible to wear what is needed to be able to finish the game. (3-1-6)

That will be the one time that right after donning that other, unacceptable colored shirt to complete the game that someone from the state or your association will walk up, not know what happened and ding you! Just Murphy's Law.

• Haha 2

On 1/6/2021 at 2:25 PM, Mudisfun said:

That will be the one time that right after donning that other, unacceptable colored shirt to complete the game that someone from the state or your association will walk up, not know what happened and ding you! Just Murphy's Law.

I feel like this would be one of the few times that "yeah, but..." would be an acceptable answer.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:05 AM, Thunderheads said:

Common sense, and caring about people? :HS 

By rule, there can't be any contact with an umpire, right?   However, players DO INDEED have contact, or can have contact with one another.   I think that's the difference there.   "Should you?"  In the grand scheme of things, yeah, I think it would make everyone feel better (especially with how stupid people can get about things).... but...

Yes, players and coaches have very little contact (if at all) with the umpire. But it DOES happen. How many times have we had a catcher turn the wrong way and run into us on a passed ball/wild pitch. It is not out of the realm of possibility. 

But yes... in the grand scheme of things. The optics would be really bad if the umpire, with a shirt soaked in his own brain matter, refuses to change his clothes or cleans it up properly. 

5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Yes, players and coaches have very little contact (if at all) with the umpire. But it DOES happen. How many times have we had a catcher turn the wrong way and run into us on a passed ball/wild pitch. It is not out of the realm of possibility. 

But yes... in the grand scheme of things. The optics would be really bad if the umpire, with a shirt soaked in his own brain matter, refuses to change his clothes or cleans it up properly. 

That's a good point ...I didn't think of that one.  Especially in High School ....

Yes, .... I guess severity of what happened ....  a little bit of blood, compared to 'blood soaked' ....and of course, brain matter :D    CLEAN UP ON AISLE 4!! :D 

On 1/5/2021 at 6:15 PM, mac266 said:

Do you have a pullover or jacket? Maybe it is too hot, but that can provide an option too.

I would also argue then as an umpire you aren't fully equipped with only one shirt option for that game. We have to have the right equipment at all times. While most of our equipment can be expensive to have duplicates of, a shirt is not. How do you work back to back days?
If a shirt would tear on a Tuesday, do you have a local place to get a brand new shirt to replace it by a Thursday game?
I have always felt only have one shirt of a color for a certain position is not enough. 

On 1/5/2021 at 12:46 PM, BT_Blue said:

It isnt like you only brought one!

You haven’t worked High School baseball east of the Mississippi River, have you? 

I worked with guys that owned one umpire shirt... only. 

On 1/5/2021 at 6:15 PM, mac266 said:

So they are different sizes and I would look ridiculous putting on the wrong size or the wrong color.

You haven’t worked High School baseball east of the Mississippi River, have you? 

To quote one: “Navy’s all ya need!” How can you ever be putting on the “wrong color” if all we’ve got are [sic] navy??!! 

Besides! Navy or black hides the blood! Play on! 

On 1/5/2021 at 5:13 PM, Thunderheads said:

geeeez

I know, right??!! Fed’s got a rule for everything! Doesn’t matter if it makes logical sense or not, they got a rule for it! 

... and be sure, @Senor Azul will find it. 

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, maven said:

Me too. The guy I'm thinking of had one shirt for his whole career (more than 20 years).

It can only loosely be defined as still being the color once called Navy.

Also not sure if I want to laugh, cry, or both, with Max's post!