'21 High School Season

BLWizzRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1127 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

well, I just received an email from PIAA about dues.  Since dues were paid last year, and we didn't have a season, it prompted a fairly straight forward email. I emailed them back and asked that since they cannot provide a guarantee, are they going to refund or carry over this coming years dues.  I referred to the declining number of officials as well as last years "no refund" and indicated that I refuse to pay them for nothing in return.

I have yet to receive a response.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

well, I just received an email from PIAA about dues.  Since dues were paid last year, and we didn't have a season, it prompted a fairly straight forward email. I emailed them back and asked that since they cannot provide a guarantee, are they going to refund or carry over this coming years dues.  I referred to the declining number of officials as well as last years "no refund" and indicated that I refuse to pay them for nothing in return.

I am taking the same approach here in AZ.  No dues till it looks like we have a season. 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:24 AM, GreyhoundAggie said:

How is the baseball in Washington state? My parents live only about 15 minutes from you @BT_Blue

Sorry, I guess this got lost in the rest of the conversation.

Baseball is decent here in SW Washington. I feel like the quality might be a tad better across the river in Portland or up in Seattle (for sure there are more teams and games there than here).

So... 15 minutes from me would be either Camas, Battleground, La Center, Washougal, or Ridgefield. Did I get it with one of those?:D

@BlueRanger I hear ya, but seeing how they got almost all the games in for football (at least here in the Austin Area) I have some hope we will get a season in. With the game fee increase this year we're looking at $75 for a varsity game and at least $15 for travel (CenTex doesn't cover any schools outside the $15 ring).

If you get 2 games in TASO dues and I would hope Chapter dues are covered and everything else is gravy on top, at least that is the way I am looking at it this season. We shall see what this winter break does to schools. Hoping they can keep it under control and get us and the players back out on the diamond.   

This just in from the State of California. Looks like nothing can happen until Jan 25th at the earliest, and as far as I can tell, no baseball activities until we hit the red tier. Still so many questions, and I can barely make heads or tails of these new guidelines. Hard to make plans for a season when it's still all in limbo.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/outdoor-indoor-recreational-sports.aspx#.X9gbvomy9wc.mailtohttps://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/outdoor-indoor-recreational-sports.aspx#.X9gbvomy9wc.mailto

• 2 weeks later...

WV's Govenor just delayed Winter sports from Jan 4th to Mar 1. He did so without consulting the board governing HS sports. No one knows if this means they can start practicing or that is when games start.

WV has a mandatory 14 days of practicing before games can start. So, if the 14 days are enforced, end of Mar is when the true season can start. Who knows how this will push the Spring sports back.

Remember this science though... above the Ohio river, the virus isnt as deadly or cant be mitigated. Below the river it is the next coming of hiding from Freddy Kruger. Above the river, they will work with it. Below the river, we will hide.

The most frustrating thing is that you see other associations, pro, college, and HS mitigate the issue - for over multiple seasons now - but WV is still cowering to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

WV's Govenor just delayed Winter sports from Jan 4th to Mar 1. He did so without consulting the board governing HS sports. No one knows if this means they can start practicing or that is when games start.

WV has a mandatory 14 days of practicing before games can start. So, if the 14 days are enforced, end of Mar is when the true season can start. Who knows how this will push the Spring sports back.

Remember this science though... above the Ohio river, the virus isnt as deadly or cant be mitigated. Below the river it is the next coming of hiding from Freddy Kruger. Above the river, they will work with it. Below the river, we will hide.

The most frustrating thing is that you see other associations, pro, college, and HS mitigate the issue - for over multiple seasons now - but WV is still cowering to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

No problem playing  football in Morgantown though...Hypocrisy is king 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 12:46 PM, BT_Blue said:

Sorry, I guess this got lost in the rest of the conversation.

Baseball is decent here in SW Washington. I feel like the quality might be a tad better across the river in Portland or up in Seattle (for sure there are more teams and games there than here).

So... 15 minutes from me would be either Camas, Battleground, La Center, Washougal, or Ridgefield. Did I get it with one of those?:D

Battle Ground you nailed it. Beautiful area up there. Maybe I can buy you a beer sometime and we can talk baseball after this covid crap is over

On 1/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, GreyhoundAggie said:

Battle Ground you nailed it. Beautiful area up there. Maybe I can buy you a beer sometime and we can talk baseball after this covid crap is over

You're on!

We had looked briefly in Battleground. (One word and no actual battles were ever fought there. The founder of the town just wanted a cool name. Lol)

It is a nice area and seems to be the second fastest growing small town in the county behind Ridgefield. 

• 1 month later...

Before we opened HS ball in Iowa last summer on June 15, our association all but stated publicly we would be refunded or carried over to the next year if the season got canned.  We played. 94% out of 320+ teams played without any interruption over a 6-week season.  Only a handful totally opted out.  

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 11:38 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

I am in District 1 (Suburban Philadelphia).  The PIAA reduced 2020-21 dues for spring sports officials to $25 for this year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philaump said:

I am in District 1 (Suburban Philadelphia).  The PIAA reduced 2020-21 dues for spring sports officials to $25 for this year

indeed.   I had not updated that statement since I made it in December.  Great Call Out!

Washington is officially back with HS ball after spring break. So mid April through end of May. Sounds like there will be State Regional championships rather than a statewide one. But beggars can't be choosers!

Youth ball has started on a limited basis. But BASEBALL IS BACK BABY!  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...