NFHS Designated Hitter Rule

Guest JIM7
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1203 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

22 answers to this question

The American League adopted their DH rule to take effect in 1973. The very first man to appear at the plate as a DH was Ron Blomberg of the New York Yankees on April 6, 1973—he faced Luis Tiant of the Red Sox and got a walk. It didn’t take long before the NFHS adopted their DH rule which first appeared in its 1976 rule book.

• Like 1

I doubt that anyone here is old enough to remember that. I'd guess that it was first discussed shortly after the AL adopted the DH in 1973. Maybe noumpere was officiating in the 70's.

It's also not that simple: I expect it was phased in over several seasons, first experimental in a few states, then adopted in some version, then tweaked into something like its current form. IIRC the new provision allowing P/DH was first used in Florida about 3 years ago.

I'm curious why the OP wants to know: has Trivial Pursuit™ come out with a FED edition?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maven said:

I doubt that anyone here is old enough to remember that. I'd guess that it was first discussed shortly after the AL adopted the DH in 1973. Maybe noumpere was officiating in the 70's.

It's also not that simple: I expect it was phased in over several seasons, first experimental in a few states, then adopted in some version, then tweaked into something like its current form. IIRC the new provision allowing P/DH was first used in Florida about 3 years ago.

I'm curious why the OP wants to know: has Trivial Pursuit™ come out with a FED edition?

I was, but not HS ball.  My first game would have been in 1971, I think.

Players may leave the game and hen re-enter at a later time, but only once

From the 1976 NFHS Baseball Rule Book (inside front cover)—

RULES DIFFERENCES FROM LAST EDITION

(Each rule change in this book identified by a screened background)

3-1-4 A hitter may be designated for any one starting player and all substitutes for that player in the game. For complete application of the designated hitter rule see new rule 3-1-4 on page 18 in Rule Book.

Rule 3-1 (pp. 18-19):

Art. 4 …A HITTER MAY (IT IS NOT MANDATORY) BE DESIGNATED for any one starting player (not just pitchers) and all subsequent substitutes for that player in the game. A Designated Hitter for said player must be selected prior to the start of the game, and his name must be included on the line-up cards presented to the umpire-in-chief and to the official scorer. IT IS NOT MANDATORY THAT A TEAM USE A DESIGNATED HITTER, but failure to declare such a hitter prior to the game precludes the use of a Designated Hitter in that game. A DESIGNATED HITTER IS “LOCKED” INTO THE BATTING ORDER. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting rotation of the Designated Hitter. IF THE DESIGNATED HITTER LEAVES THE GAME, the position of Designated Hitter is terminated for the remainder of that game. The Designated Hitter may not play defense nor may he re-enter the game.

This rule remained remarkably similar—no major changes—through the 2019 rule 3-1-4 (there was a major change in 2020)—

2019 ART. 4 . . . A hitter may be (not mandatory) designated for any one starting player (not just pitchers) and all subsequent substitutes for that player in the game. A starting defensive player cannot be listed as the designated hitter in the starting lineup. A designated hitter for said player shall be selected prior to the start of the game, and his name shall be included on the lineup cards presented to the umpire-in-chief and to the official scorer. A team forfeits the use of a designated hitter if it fails to declare a designated hitter prior to the game. If a pinch hitter or pinch runner for the designated hitter is used, that player becomes the new designated hitter. The player who was the designated hitter may re-enter as the designated hitter under the re-entry rule. A designated hitter and the player for whom he is batting are locked into the batting order. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting rotation. The role of the designated hitter is terminated for the remainder of the game when:

a. the defensive player, or any previous defensive player for whom the designated hitter batted, subsequently bats, pinch-hits or pinch-runs for the designated hitter; or

b. the designated hitter or any previous designated hitter assumes a defensive position.

By the way, there was no mention of a DH rule in the 1971, 1972, or 1974 rule books. Neither the American League nor the FED phased in their DH rule.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:14 AM, maven said:

I guess I'm old.   I mean, I wasn't umping then, but I certainly remember it, having grown up in an American League town.   I actually thought at the time it was cool but as time when along and I caught more NL games, I kind of agreed with Kevin Costner about us needing a Constitutional Amendment outlawing it.

On 12/4/2020 at 4:17 PM, Matt said:

I needed this thread. I was feeling old, having just retired from my first career, but I'm still the youngest one here.

I find myself feeling old. Then I read stuff like this, and realize I wasn't born for another 3 years after all this. Lol

On 12/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, LMSANS said:

I graduated from HS in 1975. I was a DH in a couple of HS games that year. It was also the first year that NJ used the Courtesy Runner.

For some reason, I am actually surprised the Courtesy Runner rule is that old.

11 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

For some reason, I am actually surprised the Courtesy Runner rule is that old.

I think it was the first year and we didn't use it until post season. I was a real good hitter and F2, but was not known for my foot speed. We were in a state playoff game and I went 3 for 4. For each hit, coach called time and brought in the speedster. I wasn't familiar with the rule and got real pi$$ed off when he took me out the second time; thinking I was done for the day. When I didn't put the equipment on the AC started yelling at me to get ready to go out there.  

I was so confused.:shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rule that allows courtesy runners entered the NFHS rule book in 1978. The funny thing though is that the words courtesy runners are not actually used in the rule book at all. You see, the idea of a courtesy runner is part of what are called speed-up rules so the rule was placed in rule 2 Playing Terms and Definitions as rule 2-15 and it read as follows—

By state association adoption, speed-up rules may be used.

That’s it! Nothing else about it in the rule book. I have to assume that a list of suggested and/or possible speed-up rules appeared in the case book and I do not have a copy or access to one.