hypothetical cases that were almost true.

Double Up
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1213 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Here's 2 situations that are very similar, but yet different.  Let's just say OBR..  but if any other rule set has a different result, let's hear that as well.

Situation #1:    No outs.  R1 steals on the pitch,  BR  K's  swinging for the 1st out, but the swing carries him out over the plate, interfering with the catcher's attempt to throw down to 2B on the would be base stealer.  The retired batter is already out on the swing,  so the only logical explanation here is to call R1 out enforcing the BR interference call, right?  

Situation #2  Again no outs.  RHB strikes out and makes his way back to the 1st base dugout where his team is stationed for the game.  In running back to the dugout after striking out, the player is struck by a thrown ball  from the catcher, back picking at R1. The ball deflects off the back of the retired batter (a) out of play, or (b) along the fence allowing  R1 to advance to R2 standing up.  What's the correct call (a and b)? 

Only reason why I ask is because these exact situations almost happened....  in situation 1,  I did not have interference, thus no call to enforce, but it  was close to going at as described above.   In sit. 2,  this would have happened if the catcher decided throw the ball behind R1 who was hung out in no mans land after the batter struck out.   The retired batter was clueless an was merely running back to his dugout as it looked like a play was going to be made on R1. 

4 answers to this question

#1 you're right. If the catcher's initial throw doesn't retire R1, call R1 out on interference since the batter is out on strikes. 

#2 in both (a) and (b) I have the runner out for interference by the batter. In the MiLB Umpire Manual (2019 edition), section 6.27 says 

If the batter interferes with the cather's throw to retire a runner by stepping out of the batter's box, the plate umpire shall call "interference." 

... If the batter interferes with the catcher's throw after the batter is out on strike 3, the umpire calls "Time" and the runner is declared out for interference by the batter.

I believe this interpretation would cover scenario #2 that you described. However, rule 6.01(a)(5) might be a better fit for this play. It reads

(5) Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored, hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate (see Rule 6.01(j));

Rule 6.01(a )(5) Comment: If the batter or a runner continues to advance or returns or attempts to return to his last legally touched base after he has been put out, he shall not by that act alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the fielders.

This rule might be more applicable for scenario #2. The batter isn't continuing to advance or returning to a base, so I think you would be justified to call him out under rule 6.01(a)(5). 

• Like 1

Guest NJ Coach

It absolutely must matter if there was a legitimate opportunity for the R1 pick-off try, no ?    The OP describes what "would have happened" if the catcher threw to first, but I don't see anything in those cited rules about the runner's positioning ?  Heck, what if he was 1 foot off the bag ?  This can't be interference.

1 hour ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

It absolutely must matter if there was a legitimate opportunity for the R1 pick-off try, no ?    The OP describes what "would have happened" if the catcher threw to first, but I don't see anything in those cited rules about the runner's positioning ?  Heck, what if he was 1 foot off the bag ?  This can't be interference.

I have seen a HS varsity runner picked off while standing 1 foot from the base. No telling where his head was.

The umpire must rule on whether it was a bona fide attempt to play on a runner. F2 can't just stand up and peg the retired batter to draw a call.

Yes, that requires judging intent. Yes, we (human beings) are mind readers. We're actually excellent at it (we do it every time we can tell whether someone is speaking sincerely, ironically, theatrically, etc. etc.).