Called strike 3 mechanics

Beacher80
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1207 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Pardon me if this is discussed at length elsewhere (but I didn't see a recent relevant thread) ...

But does anyone care to share their punch-out move, their thoughts on strike 3 calls, or  clip of a pro? 

Personally I've been using the "tear a book" move, but am looking to change to something closer to Marvin Hudson here, with a straight away punch and pull.

With my current move, too often I end up pulling the yoke on a lawnmower.  

Thanks for sharing. Marvin Hudson's S3 mechanic looks great. I think the trend seems to be away from overly complex or dramatic. I switched to just a straight back pull/tear, but I kinda like his. Maybe I'll try an inverse upwards half hammer with the right, and then a straight back pull. Can't copy him too much. When my local gym reopens, I'll get up in the aerobics mirror room and give it a go. Usually call a lot of balks, strikes, and make a lot of other calls in front of those mirrors.

There's been a lot of talk in the two-man world about strike and strike three mechanics being executed such that they don't take PU's eyes off the batter, pitcher, plate, etc...you don't want to miss any visual information that might require an adjudication.

And I have come to support that logic so, I spent this summer/fall transitioning from pointing to hammering my strikes. I figure if I ever find myself on the plate with a 4 man crew someday, my reward will be returning to pointing.

What I am finding difficult with all of this is...the mixed messages. I attended a spring clinic held by my association. There was a mechanics station where one of our veteran brothers and a member of our Board said, "Calling strikes and strike three is an umpire's time to shine. Have some energy, have some enthusiasm...it'll give the pitcher a lift and that usually leads to more strikes and more outs." I support this logic, too.

30 years ago, when I was a teenager calling LL ball...you saw all manner of strike calls. Some looked right out of pro school, some not ready for prime time and some...were indeed colorful. Now, in the 21st century, our mechanics like most of our work, have become more uniform. You see less individuality, less color. Time was you could tell a PU simply from his mechanics from 300 feet away.

So, in a nod to the past and an embrace of the present, my modified hammer has what's called "The Table" (left arm with fist across torso) added in. I saw footage of John McSherry doing this back in the 70's and I like it. I have had partners tell me to not do that because that's a softball mechanic and other partners who are professional umpires say it looks good on me. My strike three mechanic is a modification of Bruce Walker's "Cobra". I go straight up with the right hand and give a loud, "HIKE!" and then bring the right hand down and rip Ma Bell's book whilst giving a "THREE!".

Recently, I heard Dan Patrick interviewing John Tumpane back in 2017 and at the time, Tumpane said his strike three call was simply, "THREE!" I like the spartan, minimalist aesthetic of that call, too.

~Dog

9 minutes ago, Beacher80 said:

Here's Marvin Hudson with a strike two, and then his punch-out.

FYI he's "looking at his finger" on the strike point, but I guess in 6 man during the ALCS that's permitted even with 2 men on base.  :D

In fairness, Hudson does it in three and four man mechanics. Honestly, the real reason that most organizations want their new/young/inexperienced/"people that don't get it" umpires to use the hammer and not point is because that group generally does not have the best timing or an understanding that they can adjust the point so you can still keep your eyes forward.

A great example of this is watching Cubby Culbreth call strikes. Especially with runners on.

• Like 4

Ok, a few things ... first, stop following that 'umpire auditor' on twitter :rolleyes:

second, don't over analyze what the MLB guys do.  They are light-years beyond us mere mortals ;) 

third, your strike 3 call should be what comes natural to you.  Again, don't overthink it ....if it feels right, go with it :nod: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, Thunderheads said:

Ok, a few things ... first, stop following that 'umpire auditor' on twitter :rolleyes:

I actually think the clips are really useful.  It helps me assess my own zone when I see the best missing calls too.   Plus how they handle player and coach complaints is useful

I actually think the clips are really useful.  It helps me assess my own zone when I see the best missing calls too.   Plus how they handle player and coach complaints is useful

No, it doesn't because you don't have video of yourself to judge anything. And, those videos dont have the best angle and are not accurate for you to use for judgement.

Finally, you don't know what's being said in those videos cant really judge how they're handling anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk