NB 460v3 - Discontinued?

My son has a pair of the 460v3 Mids. After two seasons--for him A LOT of games--the sole of the shoe has basically separated from the upper.  Called NB and they gave him a $75.00 gift card that can only be used on their website. The website only has the low and white model.  Amazon's New Balance Store (which is apparently not part of NB according to the guy I spoke with) seems to be clearing them out at prices between $70 and $150 depending on size and day you look (which is typical with Amazon).

When I spoke with NB about the issue they seem to indicate that they are not making these shoes any longer. Does anyone know if a new version is on the way, or are they done making plate shoes?

plate.jpg

plate1.jpg

plate2.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoe goo and some type of clamping method will do the trick on those shoes for a while. After that I went with the Smitty knock off of the NB original version but with a different sole. Not as flexibl

I'm not a fan of the V3 plate shoes.  I don't think they're holding up like NB envisioned. I'm wondering if they're getting beat up by having to replace so many.  It reminds me of the first Wilson tit

I'm with you on that. We have already ordered that and will try and put them back together and either give them to a new ump or he will use them for youth ball.  We keep a plastic tub that we throw al

Posted Images

@aaluck, this is not an excuse for New Balance, and the 460v3 separating... but Shoe Goo will fix and remedy the problem:

61HahWawUsL._SL1000_.jpg

Go ahead one step further and get yourself an injector / syringe... 

71iMzDVaxdL._SL1500___71240.1558461405.1

I looked up the phrases "plastic syringe", "glue syringe" and "glue injector" and there's plenty of results. 

14 minutes ago, MadMax said:

@aaluck, this is not an excuse for New Balance, and the 460v3 separating... but Shoe Goo will fix and remedy the problem:

61HahWawUsL._SL1000_.jpg

Go ahead one step further and get yourself an injector / syringe... 

71iMzDVaxdL._SL1500___71240.1558461405.1

I looked up the phrases "plastic syringe", "glue syringe" and "glue injector" and there's plenty of results. 

Shoe goo and some type of clamping method will do the trick on those shoes for a while. After that I went with the Smitty knock off of the NB original version but with a different sole. Not as flexible and needs a good insole insert. I like high ankle support and the new NB shoes are way low in the heel area.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the V3 plate shoes.  I don't think they're holding up like NB envisioned. I'm wondering if they're getting beat up by having to replace so many.  It reminds me of the first Wilson titanium mask, the returns killed the profits.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MadMax said:

Shoe Goo will fix and remedy the problem

I'm with you on that. We have already ordered that and will try and put them back together and either give them to a new ump or he will use them for youth ball.  We keep a plastic tub that we throw all our 'old' gear into and give away to new guys each year.

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I don't think they're holding up like NB envisioned

I'm just kind of shocked at how these shoes fell apart. Plate shoes typically last at least 4-5 seasons get replaced because they look like junk, not fall apart.

• Like 1

I will say this in every shoe post. Our shoes for officiating have become athletic shoes and need to be treated as such. They will last a season, maybe a season and a half and then it is time for new ones. 

That is just how it is. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

I will say this in every shoe post. Our shoes for officiating have become athletic shoes and need to be treated as such. They will last a season, maybe a season and a half and then it is time for new ones. 

That is just how it is. 

I don't think you are far off and quite frankly agree with you.  However, the sole of a shoe falling off seems (to me) to be a workmanship or materials issue.  If the sole wore out, or a lace eye ripped out from wear and tear I would get it.

8 hours ago, aaluck said:

I don't think you are far off and quite frankly agree with you.  However, the sole of a shoe falling off seems (to me) to be a workmanship or materials issue.  If the sole wore out, or a lace eye ripped out from wear and tear I would get it.

To quote Ray Brownlie, "maybe yours was made on a Friday."

• Haha 1
On 11/17/2020 at 12:39 PM, aaluck said:

Does anyone know if a new version is on the way, or are they done making plate shoes?

Not discontinuing. Just those shoes have a different logo on the tongue than the current version.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Blog/PRODUCT-ALERT-MLB-Logo-vs-NB-Logo-on-New-Balance-Umpire-Shoes

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

Not discontinuing. Just those shoes have a different logo on the tongue than the current version.

Thank you for the info.  I don't know if you read my OP but for some reason the NB website only has the low and only in white. I see you have all of them (and I order a ton of stuff from you for baseball, football, basketball and wrestling) but I was hoping to use the $75.00 voucher they provided, which is only good on their website.  I'm wondering why they do not have any in stock mids, and black if they are still making them.

Anyway, thanks for thin information again.  Also I really enjoyed the Allstar webcast this summer.

48 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

Just those shoes have a different logo on the tongue than the current version.

Yeah, but Jim, c’mon... without the MLB logo on ‘em (anymore), they’re basically worthless. 

According to ~Some Guy~ ~Some Where~ the only gear you should ever buy is the stuff the big boys use... 

... hence why he insists that everyone in the association gets Wilson Golds.

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, aaluck said:

Thank you for the info.  I don't know if you read my OP but for some reason the NB website only has the low and only in white. I see you have all of them (and I order a ton of stuff from you for baseball, football, basketball and wrestling) but I was hoping to use the $75.00 voucher they provided, which is only good on their website.  I'm wondering why they do not have any in stock mids, and black if they are still making them.

Anyway, thanks for thin information again.  Also I really enjoyed the Allstar webcast this summer.

Glad you enjoyed the webcast! And thanks for your business. Yes, I read your post.

I can’t speak for that retailer, but each year we see more retail competitors moving away from their commitment on carrying all umpire shoe brands, styles and sizes.

But definitely NB is making mids and lows in both bk and with white. We have current stock in most styles/sizes plus all styles and sizes are booked for 2021 delivery starting in January as usual.

• Like 1