Force 3 Shins and the Pant Snag

The Short Umpire

I love my force 3 shin guards. They have always taken care of me. They are light, low profile, and don’t irritate my legs. The only problem I’ve had with them is that the top of the knee snags my pants so I have to untuck the pants after I stand up, run or basically do anything. Which gets really annoying and I don’t want to look dumb when I forget one time. This happens because the shin guard is very stiff and does not conform to my leg at the top. So I did a modification to help stop this. I used the shoulder caps from a Force 3 CP and using some Velcro, attached them to the top of the shin guard. Then I added some loops from an old pair of shin guards and I got this. A double knee Force 3 shin guard that does not snag the pants. 

ECA35DE9-F9EF-4C98-BCD6-3398696F0B29.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Interesting solution. A friend of mine has the same problem and he wears tights over his shin guards to prevent snagging. 

Ok yeah .. "A friend of mine wears tights"  

just admit its you we do not judge here :lol:

Cool mod though I will be checking mine now, I do not recall them snagging anything but the bottom seam on my pants. I keep blowing one set out all the dang time on that lower left hem/seam whatever you call it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Interesting solution. A friend of mine has the same problem and he wears tights over his shin guards to prevent snagging. 

I could see this being just as effective. It would basically bridge the gap created when you squat so that no pant material could get caught in there. I just find this to be extra cumbersome when getting ready. I'd rather not have the extra layer. 

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I downsized mine (from 16.5” to 14.5”) and that took care of it for me. I’m 5’11” and 16” in most shins, but even using lows the 14.5” F3’s were the right size for me.

this could work for me if there was a size smaller than 14.5. hahaha. I would worry about not getting enough coverage above the knee cap as well. that's just me though. and it depends person to person.

Honestly I wish that this is how F3 shipped their shin guards though. I think at that point they would be as close to perfect as it gets. 

My only question at this point is what to do with my CP... sell it for parts? Cut it open? Shoot it? Let me know what you guys think! 

@The Short Umpire, hey Short...what brand/style of pants are you using? I bought some F3 shin guards in the hopes of using them this spring but, then my association went to COVID mechanics so, I never got to use them. I really like how the F3's fit but, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to look at new pants come next spring to find another brand/style less prone to snagging. I have the Smitty Performance Poly-Spandex which have generously cut legs...thoughts?

~Dog 

2 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@The Short Umpire, hey Short...what brand/style of pants are you using? I bought some F3 shin guards in the hopes of using them this spring but, then my association went to COVID mechanics so, I never got to use them. I really like how the F3's fit but, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to look at new pants come next spring to find another brand/style less prone to snagging. I have the Smitty Performance Poly-Spandex which have generously cut legs...thoughts?

~Dog 

I use the Smitty Poly-Span as well. That may be another part of the equation. perhaps stiffer pants would prevent them from getting caught so much. 

57 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

You can also add a layer of silk, 4-6” where your shin guards snag. That will help them slide more easily.

I've had some really nice pairs of dress pants that had that in them.   This is a nice option, but might add more heat for umpire pants.  I doubt it'd be enough to notice though considering the leg furnaces aka leg guards you're already wearing.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 10:18 PM, The Short Umpire said:

I tried this and it did not work for me. It may for others though. 

I have a very similar problem with my Davishields.  They do not have a top strap, which I love, but which lets the knee protector flap 'open' to grab pants.

I have just decided to pull them out--which is as you said very irritating-- but I cannot go back to three straps. I hate the top strap rubbing behind my knee worse than looking like an idiot with my pants stuck in my shins. :huh:

On 11/17/2020 at 12:39 PM, wolfe_man said:

I've had some really nice pairs of dress pants that had that in them.   This is a nice option, but might add more heat for umpire pants.  I doubt it'd be enough to notice though considering the leg furnaces aka leg guards you're already wearing.

Excellent! Shouldn’t affect heat.

This was Justin Klemm’s tip he gave me years ago. He is the former PBUC and The Umpire School Exec Dir who is now in charge of replay at MLB. Never steered me wrong.

• Like 1

All Star makes a top neoprene strap that I'm thinking of using on my F3's.  I think it'd be more comfortable than a regular strap (simple elastic) that cuts into your knee/leg.  Theoretically, you could make this strap a bit tighter to hold that top part back more.

I will say that I use Ray's UL leg guard harness and it is way more comfortable than regular straps.   They only hold the bottom 3 straps in place (it's only made for 3 straps, not 4) but totally worth the cost.   I truly don't notice my leg guards at all when wearing them now.  Once they're on, you can forget them.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting a pair of those for Christmas.  I tried them on with my plate shoes and combo pants to ensure they fit correctly (I did have to swap them out once).  The videos on the retailer's web site mentions this potential problem, and it happened to me.  The video also mentions pulling out the inner liner and moving it up a 1/2 inch to mitigate the problem.  I did and it seemed to work for me.

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Speaking of Ray's shin harnesses. Do you need to leave the top strap? Or can you move the harness up and keep the bottom strap?

I left the existing F3 strap there on the top for mine.  Then used Ray's harness for the bottom 3 straps.  I suppose you could use it for the top 3 and then keep the existing F3 strap for the bottom one.