Whelp...my son has COVID

mac266
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1119 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

One of my two sons just had his test come back positive.  So that means all of us are cooped up at home until 14 days AFTER the last person no longer shows symptoms.  Fortunately I can do a lot of work from home, but my wife has a horseback riding lessons business, and had to cancel every single client.  

Let's talk baseball, I guess?

I'm sorry.  I don't know how I've not caught it yet... I'm a minister and work with people often.  We have 6-7 children in our home for babysitting each week.  My two oldest daughters work outside of the home; one works in healthcare going into different client's homes every day and the other works at a vet clinic.  My son and youngest daughter are still in school.  

I know folks who have had it around me, but somehow we've not gotten it yet thankfully.   We're in a 2.5 week revival at church now and we're now heading into the holiday season, so I fully expect to see the COVID numbers jump in the coming months.

My wife is a high school teacher at a *very* small rural public school (~60 kids in the high school). She's had 10 of her students (that I know of - HIPAA means you can't really know everything, but you can certainly infer a lot in a small group) test positive, along with 7 co-workers. So far, so good. We just try to stay diligent about wearing masks and keeping some distance when we have to go out and about. Now that volleyball season is over, the only reason I even leave my house is for shopping and church (where I run the tech, so others can stay home).

I caught COVID in the middle of October.  Being pretty fit, my body kicked it down in a short period, luckily.  I am out of COVID quarantine jail, but the after-effects are weird!  I get drowsy and need a nap quite often.  (Having a sleep apnea does not help!)  And I have lost my sense of smell.  I have to shower a lot and clean the house a lot to make sure I don't qualify for a "Ban" commercial!  But that's manageable!  While I might be immune for a short time, the mutation of the virus could mean I get vulnerable again.  So I won't take chances!  Don't know if the parks will open in 2021, but I hope to stay up on the rule and mechanics.

Mike

Las Vegas

On 11/8/2020 at 10:21 AM, BT_Blue said:

and I have so far avoided it that I know of.

That's were I'm at.  I think I have avoided it but who knows. Have four of us now at home, all working/school and how we have stayed away is remarkable.

Still up in the air over doing wrestling this year...starts next week. I love doing it but everyone on the mat and me on the mat just doesn't seem like a great idea. The alternative is another 10 lbs to haul around. :huh:

On 11/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, Vegas_Ump said:

I caught COVID in the middle of October.  Being pretty fit, my body kicked it down in a short period, luckily.  I am out of COVID quarantine jail, but the after-effects are weird!  I get drowsy and need a nap quite often.  (Having a sleep apnea does not help!)  And I have lost my sense of smell.  I have to shower a lot and clean the house a lot to make sure I don't qualify for a "Ban" commercial!  But that's manageable!  While I might be immune for a short time, the mutation of the virus could mean I get vulnerable again.  So I won't take chances!  Don't know if the parks will open in 2021, but I hope to stay up on the rule and mechanics.

Mike

Las Vegas

Yeah, co-worker six weeks later still can't smell or taste anything...he's literally afraid to cook because he doesn't know if anything's bland or spicy...or on fire!

I started going back to the gym for a one month trial...two weeks in I've suspended the membership again and bought an elliptical trainer and recumbent bike.  Watching lots of Netflix while on the equipment.

12 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I started going back to the gym for a one month trial...two weeks in I've suspended the membership again and bought an elliptical trainer and recumbent bike.  Watching lots of Netflix while on the equipment.

Sounds more my speed... and way safer!

We've got it making the rounds at our church now.  Thankfully no deaths, but some have been to the ER.  It's just getting started up bad in our area. I really think Ohio's headed towards another shutdown.  I hope not, but if you look between the lines you can see it coming.

@mac266 sorry to hear that, but everything seems to show the younger you are the better you come through it, so best wishes to your son and family...

I've been very lucky and haven't caught it yet. I donated blood last month for the first time in a while and they check the blood for COVID antibodies and emailed me to let me know it was negative.

I had a scare and was sent home to quarantine, but the person I was exposed to ended up not having it, so that was a relief.

Stay healthy my friends!

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 11:22 AM, mac266 said:

One of my two sons just had his test come back positive.  So that means all of us are cooped up at home until 14 days AFTER the last person no longer shows symptoms.  Fortunately I can do a lot of work from home, but my wife has a horseback riding lessons business, and had to cancel every single client.  

Let's talk baseball, I guess?

I'm just catching up on some reading on this site and came across yours.  How is your family doing?  

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 10:16 AM, urout17 said:

I'm just catching up on some reading on this site and came across yours.  How is your family doing?  

Thanks.  We were all quarantined together for about 6 weeks, if memory serves, and NO ONE ELSE GOT SICK.  My son's symptoms were so mild he complained that we weren't sending him to school.  I was fortunate to be allowed to telework the entire time, so our income was never interrupted.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 12:03 PM, mac266 said:

I was fortunate to be allowed to telework the entire time, so our income was never interrupted.

That's great news.  On a lighter note I was on a tractor forum where they were discussing getting the shots and came across this--dont know why I can't stop laughing but I find this to be hilarious....

shotinthet.jpg

• Like 1