Regional and League Covid-19 Mechanics

Recontra
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1229 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has been interesting to read about different Covid-19 umpire mechanics around the country. Would love to hear what others are doing. The set up that I think has worked best so far is a local Men's League, and I insisted the one official sanctioned high school game I umpired do the same for its game:

(1) Umpires wear a mask to the field and at the plate talk. Both umpires free to remove mask after that. Players free to wear masks but none did, some of the high school kids did--if there's a huff and puff on the field with a coach, umpires can put masks back on if 6' will not be maintained;

(2) Umpires do not handle any baseballs, ever--in fact most of us didn't even wear ball bags. Offensive team had a runner w/ a helmet or on-deck batter quickly retrieve all passed balls and tossed to Defensive dugout where they were "theoretically" disinfected--defensive dugout put another ball in play;

(3) Defensive team and staff handle all baseballs at all times (other than passed balls). Ball goes out of play, defensive coach quickly throws another one in from the dugout. As soon as they go on offense, the rolls reverse, and all balls handled by the other team when they are on defense.

(4) I never brushed the plate with the catcher behind the plate--always did it while he was away to not have my face in his, or I'd do the Covid-approved mechanic of kicking it off with my foot;

(5) No hand shaking--elbow bumps allowed.

(6) After game, umpires put masks back on and wear them at least to the parking lot.

(7) This system worked really well. Can't imagine any umpire was exposed to Covid-19 or that any umpire exposed a player to Covid-19.

(8) Somebody could criticize the PU being less than 6' from the catcher and current batter. Sure they could. This is baseball. Not perfection. But certainly quality and acceptable risk management.

I can tell you, that Washington state will be doing pretty much all this once we get back on the field. Hopefully in March or so.

The "not brushing the plate with F2 close by" is actually a really good idea. And one I will try and remember to bring up at our next bi-weekly virtual state meetings we have started (its about damn time too!).

On 11/9/2020 at 3:56 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Offhand, I'd say it's high time someone invent a plate umpire's shoe with a spring-loaded brush. Kinda' like Rosa Klebb's in "From Russia With Love"...

~Dog

Remember when Bill Veeck had an air jet installed at home plate?  The ump would simply step on a button and air would blow over the plate to clean it off.  Simple!

Mike

Las Vegas

• Like 1

@Vegas_Ump, hey Mike, thanks for sharing that, brother! I am familiar with some of Veeck's antics but, I had not heard this one about the home plate air-jet. An idea before its time.

I can hear Joe Buck now..."And after the close play at home, we bring you the air-jet clearing of the plate. Brought to you byyyyy...Toro! A lot of power and not a lot of bull!"

~Dog

On 11/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, ousafe said:

@BT_Blue it will be interesting to see what we do with the early season - club/select ball?  I'm guessing you saw that WIAA HS baseball first practices are only on April 26, 2021 next season.

Indeed I have. Hopefully you have been able to attend the virtual RTO meetings every other Wednesday (the next one is this coming Wednesday at 7pm). There is great information on there.

From what it sounds like. We will be required to wear some kind of face covering when we are within that 6 foot radius of someone. I read that as the base umpire can remove his/hers in between innings. And then put it back on when headed back to A. And the plate guy basically doing the same. Just more often. 

I am currently planning to go mask on the plate and maybe a Umplife gaiter on the bases, if I like it when I place my Ump-Attire order next season.

• Thanks 1