forgive me

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1236 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If this has been posted here before or not I do not know.

I am giving a complete and serious WTF  I would if I were a coach or parent be so upset if this is truly a umpire who is under the influence.

I mean I hope he is just suffering from some sort of medical issue like dehydration or something else to cause him to be this way but some of the comments man this is awful.

• Sad 2

The league involved should have investigated.  I don't think it's anything that anyone here can resolve / determine (unless someone is associated with that league)

And, the coaches (and parent videoing) should have stopped the game to see whether the umpire was in some kind of distress -- it should have happened before the second or third pitch.

• Like 1

This video presents far more questions than answers.  Is just me or does he look like a teen?

Well I think its safe to say that he is either drunk or having a serious medical condition. I'm assuming that he is out there alone? Certainly his partner (unless they were at the bar together) would not have let him on the field in that condition. Did anyone stop him from driving home and killing someone or just video? When did we start calling strikes with our left hand? When did we start putting the 'clicker' in the right hand? When did we start putting our shins on top of the pants?

Most importantly, where did he get that sweet chest protector?

This one went around the internet a few years ago.  Like others have said, we simply don't know what was going on.  I hope, for his sake, that it was a medical issue and he doesn't have an alcohol problem.  

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the umpire was in the wrong slot!

17 hours ago, mac266 said:

This one went around the internet a few years ago.  Like others have said, we simply don't know what was going on.  I hope, for his sake, that it was a medical issue and he doesn't have an alcohol problem.  

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the umpire was in the wrong slot!

Wrong slot?

That was the only thing he had right!

18 hours ago, mac266 said:

Like others have said, we simply don't know what was going on

I found the original on youtube (just search for Jake and the Drunk ump) and in the comments they said that they played 3 innings before calling the game off. They said he got WORSE, if you can imagine that. I can't see how you allow that game to go 3 innings, its like a minute between pitches. If I was the youth coach I wouldn't have let it start.

Seemed to indicate he was intoxicated, as opposed to a medical issue.

1 hour ago, mac266 said:

He was in the slot OPPOSITE the batter.  You're supposed to be on the same side.

Actually, with the raft, you're supposed to be centered on the catcher.

1 minute ago, ousafe said:

Wait, what about the "kill zone" idea? 

It's old school mechanics. There is nothing safer than the raft. Yes, your head is the only real exposure, but as I said...old school.

I remember seeing this yrs ago and thinking, damn, I go out there pressed, shoes shined and mechanically sound, but if I would have missed that pipe shot down the middle for strike 3 I would have got reemed!

No one said a Fu@$/#% word to this guy:WTF:kissass:

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, mac266 said:

He was in the slot OPPOSITE the batter.  You're supposed to be on the same side.

18 hours ago, LMSANS said:

Actually, with the raft, you're supposed to be centered on the catcher.

There's a strong possibility he was seeing more than one catcher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

There's a strong possibility he was seeing more than one catcher.

Kind of makes you wonder how he'd answer the old "Where was that pitch at Blue?"  

"It was on the outside AND inside corners!"

work focus GIF by Adventures Once Had

• Like 1

On a serious note...this is completely irresponsible by coaches and parents, including the idiot who just kept filming, and then posted it because it he thought it was cute/funny.

This should be noticed at the plate meeting...and if it really didn't progress until a few minutes in, the moment the ump is falling onto the catcher I'm stepping in.

He's either drunk or high...or reacting to meds (or missed his meds)...either way an adult in the room needs to be stepping in to find out what's wrong.   This game shouldn't have gone more than a batter.

Also - teach Jake to not turn his head, and to block properly.  

And someone teach the batter to stay in the F*#King box.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

On a serious note...this is completely irresponsible by coaches and parents, including the idiot who just kept filming, and then posted it because it he thought it was cute/funny

That's what I do not understand. How does this go on for three innings? How are these parents just sitting there, cheering, encouraging the players, watching and filming this as if its a regular occurrence? If you look the 3rd base coach and the coach in the dugout they are just going about the game. Its just crazy.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aaluck said:

That's what I do not understand. How does this go on for three innings? How are these parents just sitting there, cheering, encouraging the players, watching and filming this as if its a regular occurrence? If you look the 3rd base coach and the coach in the dugout they are just going about the game. Its just crazy.  

Maybe it shows just how badly they don't want to be back there themselves.

This is a picture of my uncle working a little league tournament in the 80's (I think). He never used anything but the raft. He taught me how to umpire when I was 13, with the raft.

8BA8DA55-1A3F-4893-A743-26D2980B2EB2.jpeg

Given the timing of the picture, I'm going to say that he was coming up out of his stance. I can never recall him complaining of any physical pain from umpiring. More old school stuff.