Masks: Force 3 V2 vs. All Star FM4000 Mag...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO: Both will provide excellent protection. However, you're basically asking to compare the lightest mask out there with the heaviest.  Disclaimer: I do not have the F3 V2.  Personally, I'd

Is it a "dig" if its true? Lol  

I’ve taken shots to the mask in F3 and MAG.  I would not have ever known I was even hit in the F3 except for the “tink” sound of the springs . While I ended up with a concussion in the MAG. I lov

IMO: Both will provide excellent protection. However, you're basically asking to compare the lightest mask out there with the heaviest. 

Disclaimer: I do not have the F3 V2. 

Personally, I'd go with the All Star mag. It's super light and super comfortable. The jaw pad is really comfortable in any weather. I really like the idea of the plastic plate in the bottom pad to help disperse the energy of an impact. The top pad is just a regular LUC pad. The sightlines out of the mask are just okay. The bars are more like blades, so they're really thin but longer than your typical mask. IMO, it takes a game or two to get used to the view out of this mask. That said, I really like the way it looks and you would be in good hands with this mask.

The F3 will provide excellent protection as well, possibly better than the All Star mag. Not to say that the All Star doesn't provide protection, but F3 is widely considered some of the most protective equipment you can buy (except the CP, YMMV). The F3 is heavy. Someone is going to reply to that and disagree, but it is a heavy mask. That said, it's designed to be worn tight. This may or may not be comfortable to you, and you may need to practice taking it off without taking your hat off as well. I've also been told the visibility out of the F3 is a little different because you have that floating cage that sits so far away from your face. But this mask is very protective and would be a good choice as well. 

At the end of the day, as with anything, it's all personal preference. Both masks feature cutting edge technology and both are very very good options. The All-Star will be lighter, probably more comfortable, and protective (and looks better :fuel: ). The F3 will be heavier, worn tight, and very protective. You won't go wrong either way. Personally, I'd get the magnesium.

@JimKirk will tell you to buy both on Ump-Attire and return whichever one you don't like at their expense! @MadMax will tell you the same thing I told you, but 10x longer. 

Good luck and happy umpiring! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

@Rock Bottom, I have posted before, but will reiterate my appreciation for the F3 V2.   YES!   It is a much heavier set up , when compared to almost anything (but having a neck like a fire plug helps mitigate this for me).  I have never tried the mag, so this will be one sided.  When I can tell you, is that the first foul ball I took to the mask (think benchwarmers movie.....but I ticked it!) sounded like a shotgun going off.  Gettysburg HS coach hollers out of the dugout.....BILL!!  Are you ok?!?  I responded that I was fine.  I feel that I need to add that SWMBO was behind the backstop talking with the trainer when this happened (SWMBO is a nurse), she saw and heard it happen.  The trainer starts to get up from her gator when the coach hollers and SWMBO says "It hit him in the head, he's fine".   Had I literally not seen the ball hit my mask (sound effects aside) I would not have known that I was hit in the mask.   I had 2 levels of neck fusion done back in April.  I took a few shots this summer, with the same result.  

YMMV

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

@Rock Bottom, I have posted before, but will reiterate my appreciation for the F3 V2.   YES!   It is a much heavier set up , when compared to almost anything (but having a neck like a fire plug helps mitigate this for me).  I have never tried the mag, so this will be one sided.  When I can tell you, is that the first foul ball I took to the mask (think benchwarmers movie.....but I ticked it!) sounded like a shotgun going off.  Gettysburg HS coach hollers out of the dugout.....BILL!!  Are you ok?!?  I responded that I was fine.  I feel that I need to add that SWMBO was behind the backstop talking with the trainer when this happened (SWMBO is a nurse), she saw and heard it happen.  The trainer starts to get up from her gator when the coach hollers and SWMBO says "It hit him in the head, he's fine".   Had I literally not seen the ball hit my mask (sound effects aside) I would not have known that I was hit in the mask.   I had 2 levels of neck fusion done back in April.  I took a few shots this summer, with the same result.  

YMMV

Thanks for the info! Were any of your shots to the lower jaw? If so, any jaw pain? My mask is great for middle and top of the mask, but the ones to the lower jaw areas have resulted in swollen jaws for 1-2 weeks.  Thus the search for a new mask. I have to think there is some significant pressure to feel, right? Because they say that's why the F3 needs to be worn snug - so there is enough resistance for the springs to activate.  But doesn't that mean that the jaw will feel pressure?

I’ve taken shots to the mask in F3 and MAG.  I would not have ever known I was even hit in the F3 except for the “tink” sound of the springs . While I ended up with a concussion in the MAG.

I love the MAGs look but unless you use the Skully (it wasn’t out yet when I bought mine) or another device to help protect that upper pad, then I would not wear it at all. It looks awesome, but you only have so many shots to the head before you have to eat through a straw.

F3 is a bit heavier, but it works - and wears - well. If you wear it tight, then it’s not that big of a difference to me. It’s well-balanced and feels good on your face. I still say the extra weight is worth it. A light shotgun kicks like a mule, but get a heavier shotgun and it absorbs some of the recoil instead of your shoulder taking it all.  I have had two concussions in my life, one was very slight while wearing a Nike Ti with TW pads on a foul straight back to my mask.  It was a high & inside pitch, then to the bat and on to the top-center of my Nike Ti.  The other is my only "real" concussion and it was while I had on my All Star MAG with stock MAG LUC pads and it was on a very similar pitch (high & tight) that was fouled straight back to my MAG (dead center of the top bar above the eye opening).  Note: This was pre-Skully days and pre-ConCussion even.  Since then, I have adopted the mind-set that heavier masks aren't necessarily a bad thing.  I've taken far worse shots in heavier masks with no issues, while the flashy lightweight Nike Ti and All Star MAG look great, but let me down in the safety area when I needed them.

I didn’t notice any vision issues in either mask. You can track pitches easy in both or MLB guys wouldn’t wear them. I can see where some may struggle a bit with the flat magnesium blades (really not bars), but the F3 I had no issue adopting to very quickly.

For looks, the MAG wins hands down. While the F3 isn’t ugly, it surely isn't flashy-looking either. It’s not a sports car, but will get you home safely.

For safety, with a Skully the MAG is great. F3 is great protection even with a normal hat. I’d give F3 a slight edge based on my own personal experience. There’s a reason that MLB catchers are using the F3 more than any other mask... the increased safety and reduced risk means not missing games due to injury. 

For comfort, the MAG wins again as the pads are that good. In all weather, they are comfortable and feel great.  Then, the mask is so light you seriously wonder if a mask is in the box when you get it!  The F3 gets comfortable pretty quickly, but there is a little break-in before the pads fit your face well. Once broken in, then it’s very comfortable. The F3 has a sun visor option while the MAG does not.

For longevity/wear, both silver frames from F3 and All Star wear quickly to a dull grey.  The black color option on both seems to last much better as you'd expect.  The F3 is hollow steel (tubular chrome alloy) while the MAG is well... magnesium, hence the name.  The MAG should last a lot longer and is MUCH less prone to bending upon impact. This is the #1 reason why the huge difference in pricing for these two masks.

The one other thing that most of us amateur umpires have to consider is price.  While we're told that F3 has mandated a price increase to $199 for a V2 mask, the truth is that they can be found a lot of places on the web still for $149 (I found one on Amazon for $137 a week or so back).   The MAG is $225 plus either a $60 Skully or $40 ConCussion if you're going to wear it safely (I'd recommend Skully over ConCussion personally).   At the end of the day, you can buy two F3 V2's for $300 (one black and one silver for all occasions) whereas a single MAG/Skully combo is $285 alone.  To me, this is a huge selling point, but if they increase to $199 then that gives more credit to the MAG from where I stand.

In the end, there’s no right or wrong reason. You will have to see what works best for you.  I’d proudly own both of these mask options, but I would not wear the MAG without some sort of added head protection (ConCussion device, Skully, etc) if you're concerned at all about your brain safety.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

But doesn't that mean that the jaw will feel pressure?

Those impacts that were enough to "spin the mask" (while ever so slight) when worn tight, did not produce any negative results to my jaw...….pain or otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've owned both, and taken shots with both - albeit in softball.

While I agree that the F3 has very good protection, one item on the F3 drove me crazy.  I'm OCD, like bad.  After I I took a pretty good shot to the nose, the clips that hold the outer frame to the inner frame bent.  Not a lot, but just enough so that the outer frame rotated in the clips and was no longer centered on the inner frame.  The outer frame would rotate easily by hand, so you could recenter it, but the next time you took the mask off it would be cockeyed again.  I contacted F3 and they replaced the frame as a "one time" service, but they said that it was not uncommon for this to happen.  So I started thinking what happens the next time I take a shot and have to deal with a mask that rotates around?  I ended up selling the F3 and bought the Mag.

I've used the Mag since Fall 2019.  The first thing I noticed about the mask is the top pad.  The top pad of the Mag is pretty crappy - why make a pad with such thin, lightweight foam?  I know...It was developed for catchers.  Still a BS answer for a company people trust with their safety.  If you're going to sell it to Umpires, make sure they won't have problems using your product as intended.  I ended up purchasing a +POS Zro-G mask and put Honig's leather pads in it.  I used the +POS most of the Summer with good results but always planned on it being a back up once I felt more comfortable with the Mag. 

Based on the feedback from this forum I recently purchased a ConCussion and have started using the Mag again.  I feel a lot safer with the ConCussion, though I did have to go up one hat size (I needed new hats anyway).  I wore the Mag last weekend for 3 high level D1 scrimmages and had no concerns about insufficient protection.

I would say there are pluses and minuses to both masks. I'm pretty happy with my current set up but the Engineer in me REALLY wants to like the F3.  If they can ever fix the clips so the two frames don't rotate on each other, I might go back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I’ve taken shots to the mask in F3 and MAG.  I would not have ever known I was even hit in the F3 except for the “tink” sound of the springs . While I ended up with a concussion in the MAG.

I love the MAGs look but unless you use the Skully (it wasn’t out yet when I bought mine) or another device to help protect that upper pad, then I would not wear it at all. It looks awesome, but you only have so many shots to the head before you have to eat through a straw.

F3 is a bit heavier, but it works - and wears - well. If you wear it tight, then it’s not that big of a difference to me. It’s well-balanced and feels good on your face. I still say the extra weight is worth it. A light shotgun kicks like a mule, but get a heavier shotgun and it absorbs some of the recoil instead of your shoulder taking it all.  I have had two concussions in my life, one was very slight while wearing a Nike Ti with TW pads on a foul straight back to my mask.  It was a high & inside pitch, then to the bat and on to the top-center of my Nike Ti.  The other is my only "real" concussion and it was while I had on my All Star MAG with stock MAG LUC pads and it was on a very similar pitch (high & tight) that was fouled straight back to my MAG (dead center of the top bar above the eye opening).  Note: This was pre-Skully days and pre-ConCussion even.  Since then, I have adopted the mind-set that heavier masks aren't necessarily a bad thing.  I've taken far worse shots in heavier masks with no issues, while the flashy lightweight Nike Ti and All Star MAG look great, but let me down in the safety area when I needed them.

I didn’t notice any vision issues in either mask. You can track pitches easy in both or MLB guys wouldn’t wear them. I can see where some may struggle a bit with the flat magnesium blades (really not bars), but the F3 I had no issue adopting to very quickly.

For looks, the MAG wins hands down. While the F3 isn’t ugly, it surely isn't flashy-looking either. It’s not a sports car, but will get you home safely.

For safety, with a Skully the MAG is great. F3 is great protection even with a normal hat. I’d give F3 a slight edge based on my own personal experience. There’s a reason that MLB catchers are using the F3 more than any other mask... the increased safety and reduced risk means not missing games due to injury. 

For comfort, the MAG wins again as the pads are that good. In all weather, they are comfortable and feel great.  Then, the mask is so light you seriously wonder if a mask is in the box when you get it!  The F3 gets comfortable pretty quickly, but there is a little break-in before the pads fit your face well. Once broken in, then it’s very comfortable. The F3 has a sun visor option while the MAG does not.

For longevity/wear, both silver frames from F3 and All Star wear quickly to a dull grey.  The black color option on both seems to last much better as you'd expect.  The F3 is hollow steel (tubular chrome alloy) while the MAG is well... magnesium, hence the name.  The MAG should last a lot longer and is MUCH less prone to bending upon impact. This is the #1 reason why the huge difference in pricing for these two masks.

The one other thing that most of us amateur umpires have to consider is price.  While we're told that F3 has mandated a price increase to $199 for a V2 mask, the truth is that they can be found a lot of places on the web still for $149 (I found one on Amazon for $137 a week or so back).   The MAG is $225 plus either a $60 Skully or $40 ConCussion if you're going to wear it safely (I'd recommend Skully over ConCussion personally).   At the end of the day, you can buy two F3 V2's for $300 (one black and one silver for all occasions) whereas a single MAG/Skully combo is $285 alone.  To me, this is a huge selling point, but if they increase to $199 then that gives more credit to the MAG from where I stand.

In the end, there’s no right or wrong reason. You will have to see what works best for you.  I’d proudly own both of these mask options, but I would not wear the MAG without some sort of added head protection (ConCussion device, Skully, etc) if you're concerned at all about your brain safety.  

Thanks @wolfe_man!  I have the Cobalt skully on order - so I'm going t get that either way - but it's that jaw shot that kills me.  I have the FM4000 steel, so I'm leaning on just getting the mag pads for that, and then getting the F3.  Although @AL-Ump's comments about the F3 mask problems concern me.  Sadly there is no perfect mask yet I guess! :)  Too bad it cost so much to figure out what works best for each of us.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

While I agree that the F3 has very good protection, one item on the F3 drove me crazy.  I'm OCD, like bad.  After I I took a pretty good shot to the nose, the clips that hold the outer frame to the inner frame bent.  Not a lot, but just enough so that the outer frame rotated in the clips and was no longer centered on the inner frame.  The outer frame would rotate easily by hand, so you could recenter it, but the next time you took the mask off it would be cockeyed again.  I contacted F3 and they replaced the frame as a "one time" service, but they said that it was not uncommon for this to happen.  So I started thinking what happens the next time I take a shot and have to deal with a mask that rotates around?  I ended up selling the F3 and bought the Mag.

I would say there are pluses and minuses to both masks. I'm pretty happy with my current set up but the Engineer in me REALLY wants to like the F3.  If they can ever fix the clips so the two frames don't rotate on each other, I might go back. 

I have that same type of OCD problem! LOL I fear it would drive me nuts too. :)

3 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I have that same type of OCD problem! LOL I fear it would drive me nuts too. :)

I’m the same, but you readjust and it’s fine. Just don’t focus on it and it won’t be a problem.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

The tink comment is exactly as I have described the sound of the F3 getting hit.   Not sure how it ever sounded like a shotgun blast?  I do know when I was hit I didn't feel it, work JC ball and high school, and was actually surprised.

Both are excellent masks with the F3 being much heavier.  I could never get the F3 adjusted so that it wouldn't pull down the bill of my hat.

I love both of these masks and you won't go wrong with either.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

I've used the Mag since Fall 2019.  The first thing I noticed about the mask is the top pad.  The top pad of the Mag is pretty crappy - why make a pad with such thin, lightweight foam?  I know...It was developed for catchers.  Still a BS answer for a company people trust with their safety.  If you're going to sell it to Umpires, make sure they won't have problems using your product as intended.  I ended up purchasing a +POS Zro-G mask and put Honig's leather pads in it.  I used the +POS most of the Summer with good results but always planned on it being a back up once I felt more comfortable with the Mag. 

Based on the feedback from this forum I recently purchased a ConCussion and have started using the Mag again.  I feel a lot safer with the ConCussion, though I did have to go up one hat size (I needed new hats anyway).  I wore the Mag last weekend for 3 high level D1 scrimmages and had no concerns about insufficient protection.

I use the con-cushion as well with my mag.  Not that I do it because of the pad, I just wear it with all of my masks.  Good product.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I’m the same, but you readjust and it’s fine. Just don’t focus on it and it won’t be a problem.

I'm looking at getting the black with the tan leather pads.  Do you know if the FM4000MAG black frame is in a matte finish?

11 hours ago, Umpire43 said:

I wore the F3 for 2 seasons in the minors. Saved me from missing several games on a few different occasions. I took a 95 straight to the jaw that the catcher missed. Sore jaw but no concussion or missed games. 

https://www.facebook.com/force3progear/videos/2200709420025497/

As I recall, Force3 had a bunch of videos on their Facebook page of guys taking SHOTS while wearing a Defender. 

10 hours ago, umpstu said:

I'm looking at getting the black with the tan leather pads.  Do you know if the FM4000MAG black frame is in a matte finish?

Yes, it is. It’s a sweet looking mask. Very tough!

I like the deerskin pads too. They are very soft against your face. 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:28 AM, Umpire43 said:

I wore the F3 for 2 seasons in the minors. Saved me from missing several games on a few different occasions. I took a 95 straight to the jaw that the catcher missed. Sore jaw but no concussion or missed games. 

https://www.facebook.com/force3progear/videos/2200709420025497/

Good to know - this answers my specific jaw question - I figured it had to still hurt the jaw to some degree; the FM4000 steel seemed to do a good job on the hits I took - no concussion, but two sore/swollen jaws this summer.

4 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Good to know - this answers my specific jaw question - I figured it had to still hurt the jaw to some degree; the FM4000 steel seemed to do a good job on the hits I took - no concussion, but two sore/swollen jaws this summer.

If you go on the Force3 Facebook page and go through their videos, I think they have a bunch of "kill shot" hits while wearing the Force3 mask. One I remember in particular, was a few shots in the same game, that Mark Wegner took.

• Like 1
On 10/27/2020 at 5:54 PM, Stk004 said:

@MadMax will tell you the same thing I told you, but 10x longer. 

On 10/30/2020 at 4:57 AM, wolfe_man said:

[whole big bunch of things Wolfe says]

I love the MAGs look but unless you use the Skully (it wasn’t out yet when I bought mine) or another device to help protect that upper pad, then I would not wear it at all. It looks awesome, but you only have so many shots to the head before you have to eat through a straw. 

[whole bunch more things that Wolfe says]

What’s this “10x more from MadMax” nonsense, Spence??? Wolfe beat my word count without a finger-cramp! 

Sheesh. 

Anyway, @Rock Bottom (and everyone else reading... except Spencer, who’s heard this before), it is crucial to point out that in this comparison, we cannot factor in either mask’s specific use, or non-use, by MLBUs. These guys are only working every fourth game, and typically no more than 45 plates per year. I’m finishing October having done 37 plates in the month. In no small sense, the recent protocol implemented by MLBUs, wherein an impact to the head means that PU is replaced by a crew-mate in short order. It has nothing to do with the current or long-term health of that umpire; it has to do with the perception by participants that the umpire might be compromised or challenged in discerning balls and strikes. Might be. 

So, if/when an impact occurs, you (as a MLB Umpire) don’t necessarily need a mask that will recover its shape, or will be able to repeat that protective “event” on a subsequent impact. If protective qualities are equal, then what factor now stands out as the most differential? Weight. 

And this is where the All-Star FM5K will win. Every. Time.

It’s also why the Nike Titanium Icon and the Wilson DynaLite Titanium masks remain popular (despite a Wilson-fueled smear campaign claiming “titanium is dangerous”). We also see a cavalcade of “exotics”, such as Mizuno or SSK masks, and several aluminums. We’re just not going to see many Force3 Defenders in “The Show” going forward. Is it inferior, or deficient, because of this lack of exposure? Absolutely not! 

I can almost guarantee that if the Champro Rampage was offered by another “marquee” brand, it would be in the Big Leagues. Going further, I also think that focus should be put on burgeoning technology, such as that from WindPact. There needs to be less complacency on arcane “standard” pads, with profits generated by extreme margins and scaring users (ie. umpires) into replacing those pads with frequency. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've taken 3-4 hard straight on foul back shots this summer/fall with my new (now used :-) F-3 V2. High school varsity level pitchers throwing 80+. No concern over concussion at all. I will say that the original V1 (IMO) offered a bit more reduction in impact severity, but it also was significantly heavier. I still have mine--haven't considered using it. The springs and Kevlar pads on the V-2 did their jobs. On one of those impacts, my catcher was wearing a new All Star Mag. We chit-chatted about our masks. He suffered a concussion last playing season, so he ordered both a Mag and an F-3. He said he thought the F-3 was too heavy for him, but he also said he couldn't see as well out of the Mag. After I took my shot, he didn't even get up to give me a rest, "You good, Mike?" "Yup!"  He then took a straight on shot, except that because of the All Star Mag design, it was a glancing blow.  I didn't hesitate. "You good, David?" "I'm good, Mike." "You sure?" "Yep, didn't even feel it!"

I think both of these masks are great at reducing impact severity. I'm no engineer, but it looks like one has much better deflection, and the other has much better shock absorption. I'm sticking with my F-3, because I have 100% absolute confidence in it which allows me to track balls right into the bars. Plus, I think Jason Klein is a class act from start to finish. But, my non-expert opinion is that both of these masks offer exceptional protection.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Recontra said:

I've taken 3-4 hard straight on foul back shots this summer/fall with my new (now used :-) F-3 V2. High school varsity level pitchers throwing 80+. No concern over concussion at all. I will say that the original V1 (IMO) offered a bit more reduction in impact severity, but it also was significantly heavier. I still have mine--haven't considered using it. The springs and Kevlar pads on the V-2 did their jobs. On one of those impacts, my catcher was wearing a new Cobalt. We chit-chatted about our masks. He suffered a concussion last playing season, so he ordered both a Cobalt and an F-3. He said he thought the F-3 was too heavy for him, but he also said he couldn't see as well out of the Cobalt. After I took my shot, he didn't even get up to give me a rest, "You good, Mike?" "Yup!"  He then took a straight on shot, except that because of the Cobalt design, it was a glancing blow.  I didn't hesitate. "You good, David?" "I'm good, Mike." "You sure?" "Yep, didn't even feel it!"

I think both of these masks are great at reducing impact severity. I'm no engineer, but it looks like one has much better deflection, and the other has much better shock absorption. I'm sticking with my F-3, because I have 100% absolute confidence in it which allows me to track balls right into the bars. Plus, I think Jason Klein is a class act from start to finish. But, my non-expert opinion is that both of these masks offer exceptional protection.

Cobalt = All Star FM4000 aka 5000 aka The Mag

fixed it for you! :nod: 

Edited by Thunderheads
  • Like 2