ATXBlue

Jeff “No Help Needed” Nelson

I’ll start this off by saying I’m an Astros fan so I’m definitely biased, but do you really think you can make that call from behind the plate? He’d been going to Barrett all night. 

13 minutes ago, ATXBlue said:

I’ll start this off by saying I’m an Astros fan so I’m definitely biased, but do you really think you can make that call from behind the plate? He’d been going to Barrett all night. 

I thought he didn’t go from the replay side angle. Who knows what Nelson saw. He can do no wrong and Angel Hernandez always does wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I thought he didn’t go from the replay side angle. Who knows what Nelson saw. He can do no wrong and Angel Hernandez always does wrong. 

Ha very true...The Rays catcher appealed, it could have gotten messy had Barrett had made a call the other way. 

There definitely was a pattern there of using Teddy. 

We don't ask when we think we can get it on our own. He must have thought he could get it on his own. 

I do think it's a miss though.

I agree with Pedro in the post-game show, who mentioned that Altuve's lunge forward make it look like he swung his bat past the front of the plate. Depending on the angle shown it either did or didn't look like an offer to me. Seems sensible to check with your partner though, just to avoid this very discussion.

9 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

You're right. Stand by. 

I tried quickly,  but couldn't locate anything 

8 hours ago, ATXBlue said:

Ha very true...The Rays catcher appealed, it could have gotten messy had Barrett had made a call the other way. 

Barrett, and you I hope,  would never rule on that appeal because he would see that Nelson had already ruled a strike.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Barrett, and you I hope,  would never rule on that appeal because he would see that Nelson had already ruled a strike.

I agree with you that it shouldn't happen but never is a strong word. Just calling out the possibility of a cluster. 

I think what was frustrating was that he had been asking for help all night until this high leverage and close call situation. Again frustrated fan hat fully pulled on here. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ATXBlue said:

I agree with you that it shouldn't happen but never is a strong word. Just calling out the possibility of a cluster.

If it happened I think this place would blow up. Those guys are the best of the best.

BTW, Zunino sure thought he went!

On 10/14/2020 at 1:03 AM, Jimurray said:

And what do you think they would have done with Angel on the appealed tag up call at 3rd base with the Braves in the third inning that Will Little was lining up perfectly in the replay pictures versus when Tim McClelland eyes (from the split screen replay) apparently did not have the tag up runner lined up. Did they reference that past tag up call in last night's game?  So, if you live with the Clarences of the world you get a pass, but if you do not you get totally buried.

It looks like/seems to be CCS is not? (i have not been looking at their twitter or FB feed) providing the field replays under the discussion topic on the page with the plate scores on their site, just sticking with the plate stats.

These plays are not to prove or disprove fallibility, as fallibility has always been the possibility on any call, but the purpose is to help everyone try and see what might have led to a missed call or an unmissed call such as positioning, timing, or just plane old kicked the crap out of the call, which we are all doing by the way at whatever level is being officiated.

On 10/14/2020 at 12:48 AM, ATXBlue said:

By you saying this your comment, IMO, becomes null and void.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 8:27 PM, jms1425 said:

Eh... maybe someone gave Jeff an audible signal to say Altuve was going to swing, and he just went with the hint.....

:wow:

Like this?

tenor-3.gif

• Like 1