Pitcher throwing to unoccupied base

Guest Larry
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1263 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runner on 1st and right handed pitcher throws to 2nd.  It is the move where while toeing the rubber he starts his motion and then steps towards 2nd and throws.  (Not spin move).  The rules say that pitcher can't throw to an unoccupied base unless making a play.  In this case, the runner did not go or even bluff stealing 2nd so no play at 2nd.  However I found a blurb in the rule (6.02 a, B section) book that also states " with a runner on 1st base the pitcher may make a complete turn, without hesitating to first, and throw to second.  This is not to be interpreted as throwing to an unoccupied base."  So I guess my question is this.  Am I interpreting correctly?  If pitcher makes spin move without hesitating to first it is not a balk but if he makes the move where he continues his motion stepping towards second it is a balk?

3 answers to this question

You are reading it incorrectly.  Either move is a balk if R1 is not attempting / feinting an advance; either move is legal if R1 is attempting / feinting an advance (the specific words might differ by code; the practical effect at almost all amateur levels is the same).

The note is in there so that if F1 turns past first that specific move is NOT to be interpreted as a move to first (and, thus, a balk for feinting to first). You can imagine that without this note, some coach / umpire / announcer would be confused as to whether what the pitcher was legal.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Guest Larry said:

Runner on 1st and right handed pitcher throws to 2nd.  It is the move where while toeing the rubber he starts his motion and then steps towards 2nd and throws.  (Not spin move).  The rules say that pitcher can't throw to an unoccupied base unless making a play.  In this case, the runner did not go or even bluff stealing 2nd so no play at 2nd.  However I found a blurb in the rule (6.02 a, B section) book that also states " with a runner on 1st base the pitcher may make a complete turn, without hesitating to first, and throw to second.  This is not to be interpreted as throwing to an unoccupied base."  So I guess my question is this.  Am I interpreting correctly?  If pitcher makes spin move without hesitating to first it is not a balk but if he makes the move where he continues his motion stepping towards second it is a balk?