Softball Pitcher Deliberately Hits Plate Umpire

SeeingEyeDog

I wonder why the author is writing an article in 2020 about an incident that happened just over seven years ago :confused:. The date stamp on the video is 10-5-13 (or 2013-10-05 for the benefit of anyone visiting from outside the USA). I recall seeing this video posted elsewhere shortly after the incident took place.

Perhaps he just now discovered the video? :shrug:

But yeah, that was both egregious and disgusting to watch.

• Like 1

I have seen this happen at all levels of 90' baseball, and this clip I remember as well as my first instance of seeing it in softball.

I hope the next thing you see when the ump gathers himself together is Bango!  Bango!  Bango!  F1, F2, and the manager are gone!

Mike

Las Vegas 

• Like 3

I remember using this video in an off-season lesson about six years ago as an example of what to do if you never want to play ball in this city ever again.

At least we can surmise from the video that they never practiced it beforehand...the catcher would have done a better job of "missing" without diving out of the way.

• 5 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 7:55 PM, mac266 said:

Oddly enough, the pitch that made everyone angry looked low to me.  

Yes.  Bad video angle,  but when I see a pitch pulled up like that,  it's a ball.  If the catcher tells me it's a ball... it is.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 1:38 PM, beerguy55 said:

I remember using this video in an off-season lesson about six years ago as an example of what to do if you never want to play ball in this city ever again.

Under what rule would you actually call the game? Assaulting the umpire?

I would definitely eject the head coach, catcher and pitcher, but is there grounds for calling the game.

18 minutes ago, aaluck said:

Under what rule would you actually call the game? Assaulting the umpire?

I would definitely eject the head coach, catcher and pitcher, but is there grounds for calling the game.

This is in the Official Rules of Softball...I'm assuming similar language would be in any rule set of baseball/softball...

The plate umpire may forfeit the game if any team member or spectator attacks any umpire physically

Otherwise, keep ejecting coaches and players until you reach the necessary threshold.

• Like 1