Interference on runner is batter out too?

Guest David

Question

A batter hit a pop out to the 2nd today. She caught it but was almost run over by the runner. If she dropped it and was hit by the runner, then would the proper ruling be; the batter is out and the runner returns to 1b or are both out?

16 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Guest David said:

A batter hit a pop out to the 2nd today. She caught it but was almost run over by the runner. If she dropped it and was hit by the runner, then would the proper ruling be; the batter is out and the runner returns to 1b or are both out?

Softball (and assumption) rules *might* be different on this, and it might depend on the specific timing and what happens to the ball when you say "drops it and was hit by the runner" but in general, the runner is out and the batter is awarded first.

2 hours ago, Ump29 said:

Don't get me started.

is this comment because you have a daughter that plays baseball?  @Rich Ives was simply stating the obvious (99.99% of anyone explaining a situation on this site that uses the word/s SHE or HER, is talking softball).    NOT THAT girls DON'T play baseball, or can't play baseball, ... just saying its' typically softball ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a bit of defense of my comments. I sometimes jump on people who assume "she" refers to softball. This may be true in many locations. However in my area (Nova Scotia) and many other areas of Canada , female baseball is quite common. This occurs mainly in youth ball but also beyond. There are many hot beds of female baseball around. These are usually mixed teams but there are many complete female teams around who play in the male leagues. There are also advanced female teams who play to advance to provincial / national championships for all female teams. Also there are many female umpires who work male games as well as mixed and all female teams. Again sorry if I stirred anything up.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:39 AM, Ump29 said:

Just a bit of defense of my comments. I sometimes jump on people who assume "she" refers to softball. This may be true in many locations. However in my area (Nova Scotia) and many other areas of Canada , female baseball is quite common. This occurs mainly in youth ball but also beyond. There are many hot beds of female baseball around. These are usually mixed teams but there are many complete female teams around who play in the male leagues. There are also advanced female teams who play to advance to provincial / national championships for all female teams. Also there are many female umpires who work male games as well as mixed and all female teams. Again sorry if I stirred anything up.

Yeah, and you seem to ignore the simple math as has been explained to you many times...if you are talking about either softball or baseball in North America, and you use the word "she" there is about a 95% (conservatively speaking) chance you're talking about softball...likely even in Nova Scotia  (I have coached teams in four National Championships and have coached against many Nova Scotia girls softball teams...each time they've entered two teams).   If I'm a betting man, and I am, I'll take those odds every time to guess between softball and baseball.   That girls play baseball isn't the issue, and no one has ever denied or disputed it.  We're simply talking about probabilities.    I'm willing to be wrong a few percent of the time to make that kind of assumption (if the assumption is relevant to the conversation).

The number of girls that ONLY play baseball, as opposed to both, is an even much smaller number....the number of girls who ONLY play softball is a significantly higher number...even in Nova Scotia.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:17 PM, Guest David said:

Well, if there are two out getting two outs on the play wouldn't matter, would it?  Otherwise the runner is likely not running, and running over anyone.   If there was one out, and she caught it, and almost got run over by the runner, my assumption is it was an easy appeal to first to get the second out?

If she dropped the ball and then got hit by the runner, it would depend on how far away the ball was when the contact occurred.  Within a step or so, runner is out, batter gets first...if the ball is say ten feet away by then and F4 is chasing it, it's now OBS on F4.

If she dropped the ball because she got hit by the runner, then runner out, batter gets first.  (batter is charged an at bat, but not given a hit)

Unless an IFF I don't think there's any provision to get two out here, even if the runner did interfere with an easy catch and appeal play.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.