Hey Guys,

Just starting out after my son has moved onto college ball and me wanting to stay in the game.  Been lurking for a few years. 

Anyways, my first question is what are your preferred options for an under layer for shin guards? Just socks? Commando? Heat/cold gear? Full set of compression pants?  Compression sleeves for calves?

I have my first games on Sunday for 12U and may be able to get behind the plate.  I am going with compression calves sleeves and socks.  The very top strap of the SG will be commando but the other 3 straps will have an under layer. What would be your usual  setup?  Thanks!

Full-length compression tights? Expensive (especially when you’re doing games daily, and need multiple pieces).

Knee-high socks of serviceable quality? Expensive (especially when you wear through them on the heels, from getting dirt and sand in your plate shoes, or having to step and walk on asphalt or stony parking lots).

Solution? Compression shorts, inexpensive cotton (UA Charged Cotton or Nike Dri-Cotton) crew socks, and take your damaged knee-high (soccer, football, baseball) socks, cut off the foot, and stitch the cut bottoms into a hem. Voila! Cheap, effective, “recycled” shin sleeves.

• Like 1

Champion tights from Walmart. Thin, with a great waistband. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-Men-s-PowerFlex-Tights-P0880-407Z98/327485559

Me, I want that protection from ankle to the top strap of my shinguards. I even wear them as on the bases in the heat, as they seem to keep my legs cooler. 

The down side is the shinguards will rotate around a bit more on the slippery material. 

I did the long soccer socks thing, but found them too sweaty. 

Similar to what @kylejt states above, I wear tights under my shinguards - however, I wear 3/4 tights.  I find that tights over my socks and both under a shinguard can be a bit too much and I'm more comfortable in the 3/4.  I have a couple UA outlets close to where I live so I can pick them up when I need to.  I also use a different shinguard than most of the guys here - one that will not move around my leg, even with the tights.  I umpire SB so the need for protection is not sooooo high.   Here they are if you're curious:

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Pro_Ball_Street/descpage-BPBHSG.html

3/4 length tights from Academy. Lightweight, prevents any chaffing and provides some wicking. i like these vs the full length because th y don't have the rubber grippers at the bottom. Crew length UA socks. 

At some of the Ump supply places, you can buy long tights that protect you from your shin guard straps.  They do wick perspiration away, and I feel I tend to stay comfortable--even with 115 degree temps here in Vegas!  And, these garments also have a pouch in which to install a protective cup.  At my age, I also put on some pretty good knee wraps, as I have had both knees scoped in 2019.  But that works with any shin guards.  never had a problem!

Mike

Las Vegas

I wear long compression leggings. And have since I first started back in the early 90s. I wear them regardless of the season. 

As for the shin guards rotating like Kyle mentioned. I had MAJOR issues with this happening, going all the way back to my playing days! This all stopped with the Force3 shin guards because of that fabulous padded insert.

• Like 1

Oh... I just realized I didn't say where I get them from. I go with either the 32 Degree compression leggings you can find at Costco. Or the Champion (or what ever it is called) jogging ones you get at Target. Both are in that $10 range... if that.

For me it's long full tights, plate or bases

.......when it's cold, it's UA cold gear tights, .....anything over 55' degrees .......I'll UA heat gear ....

Cost a little more, but the quality is great

To cover the back of the knee from that top shin guard strap, here's another option if you in anyway have older/achy/arthritic/loose knees. These MAVA power-lifting compression knee sleeves are absolutely awesome. Recommended to me by an umpire I met online from Hawaii, and I've now got three pairs. $39.00 per pair, but worth every single penny. I now wear them skiing (even put one under my custom ACL surgery brace), long bike rides over 30 miles, back packing, sport climbing, and most definitely umpiring. And I've wasted a bunch of money on other knee braces that didn't reduce knee pain and swelling (I'm a future candidate for knee replacement--just not yet says my orthopod--annual steroid injections and these knee sleeves still letting me run and jog around the field). I've tried hinged and unhinged neoprene and velcro knee braces--name the brand and I've probably tried it. Nothing works like these. I know 4 other 55+ umpires in my local association who also now use these. Measure your size and order. I measure for an XL, and they were great, but I loved the compression so much, I sized down to a Large and couldn't be happier. These won't slip down or move. In fact, the more you sweat, the warmer they get, and the tighter they grip and compress. I've done hard days of aggressive black diamond skiing with my sons and then not taken them off afterwards, just because I could tell they were keeping my knees from aching horribly. I used to wear compression leggings--mainly UA Heatgear--and still have maybe 8 pairs--wear them around the house--but no longer behind the plate. Also, the compression shirts and leggings from this company are top notch. True compression---unlike some products out there (like UA) that aren't really all that "compression."  Two major big thumbs up for these bad boys!!

As far as socks, I like the Force3 long socks. And with these compression knee sleeves, my whole lower leg is protected from shin guard straps. And if you are like me and think, "Oh, yeah, I've tried a neoprene knee brace before, and it just slipped down and didn't do much," all I can say is that these MAVA sleeves are not like your father's neoprene knee "pad."

7mm KNEE SLEEVES (Pair)-Mava Sports

https://www.mavasports.com/products/mava-knee-sleeves $39.00

• 1 month later...

Hey Recontra.  Just want to thank you for the tip above about the Mava knee sleeves.  I bought 2 pairs and they are great.  I only got to use them for a handful of games before the season ended but boy did they make a difference.  I wear them on my nightly walks with the wife and they are a huge upgrade on the ones I used to wear.  The company was also a pleasure to deal with.

• Like 2