Full Leather Base Shoes

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1274 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So, I've made several posts recently complaining about the mesh uppers on the NB base shoes. Again, great shoe, great comfort, great look...and the mesh is tough to clean.

This morning I woke up and thought maybe instead of continuing to complain about this shoe, I would conduct a poll here and gather some data and then try to fix my problem.

Price not being an object, what in your opinion is or are the best FULL LEATHER base shoe(s)? My thinking is that I will choose a non-mesh, slightly heavier shoe which doesn't breathe as well but, will clean up much more easily. Also, I'll need a wide width please...2E in most cases.

If there has already been a thread on this, please feel free to link it...

~Dog

46 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

So, I've made several posts recently complaining about the mesh uppers on the NB base shoes. Again, great shoe, great comfort, great look...and the mesh is tough to clean.

This morning I woke up and thought maybe instead of continuing to complain about this shoe, I would conduct a poll here and gather some data and then try to fix my problem.

Price not being an object, what in your opinion is or are the best FULL LEATHER base shoe(s)? My thinking is that I will choose a non-mesh, slightly heavier shoe which doesn't breathe as well but, will clean up much more easily. Also, I'll need a wide width please...2E in most cases.

If there has already been a thread on this, please feel free to link it...

~Dog

Well, first and foremost ..... FULL LEATHER? No way ........SYNTHETIC LEATHER ......maybe.   That said ........MOST companies are in the 'mesh' game.   @MadMax in 3,.....2,.......1..... :D 

My personal favorite is the Adidas Speed Trainer in Synthetic all black.  I have the Speed Trainer 2 and Adidas changed the design on the 3 and 4, but it looks like they went back to the ST2 style on the newly released version 5: 

https://www.baseballsavings.com/adidas-mens-synthetic-speed-trainer-5-shoes#color_selected_3074457345617778329_Color_Black/Black

The gray gets the Sharpie treatment, then black Turrago on the whole thing.  They are SUPER lightweight and durable, the only issue is it they have a loop on the back which can keep your pants from fully extending to the ground.  Some scissors takes care of that! 

2 minutes ago, AL-Ump said:

My personal favorite is the Adidas Speed Trainer in Synthetic all black.  I have the Speed Trainer 2 and Adidas changed the design on the 3 and 4, but it looks like they went back to the ST2 style on the newly released version 5: 

https://www.baseballsavings.com/adidas-mens-synthetic-speed-trainer-5-shoes#color_selected_3074457345617778329_Color_Black/Black

The gray gets the Sharpie treatment, then black Turrago on the whole thing.  They are SUPER lightweight and durable, the only issue is it they have a loop on the back which can keep your pants from fully extending to the ground.  Some scissors takes care of that! 

That's what I originally preferred too ....damn, the new 5's look nice!

3 hours ago, ATXBlue said:

Is it just me or when someone talks about full leather all black shoes, these guys come to mind...

image.png.9943a9addd2626e5ea55e6744dc457fd.png

Whenever someone talks about all black base shoes, that's exactly what I think of. That or Grampa wearing those and his best Sunday coveralls walking down to Denny's for the early bird dinner special!

I use the Nike Air Diamond Trainer for my base shoes. I like a little white in my base shoes, not a fan of all black base shoes. Plate shoes, I think all black looks nice, but I can go either way with plate shoes.

12 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

@MadMax in 3,.....2,.......1..... :D 

MESH!!! 

The more ventilation the better. If someone was to design shoes that have an onboard or auxiliary micro-fan, I’d buy ‘em.

Clean-up? I own an air compressor. Dust and sand has no chance.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c286d6340c1ca286bac05ad486acb6a.jpeg
Nike Air Zoom Vomero

Better than the nearly incomparable Air Max because, without visible air bladders, they won’t pop when the air temp creeps above 110°... which means the ground temp is pushing 120–130°.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b7e85301761fe7be6a4c79dcbdd16f9.jpeg
New Balance Vaadu

See the vents that look like dragon scales? See how many there are?? Vinyl shell cleans up in a jiffy, but those vents are soooooooo nice.

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

MESH!!! 

The more ventilation the better. If someone was to design shoes that have an onboard or auxiliary micro-fan, I’d buy ‘em.

Clean-up? I own an air compressor. Dust and sand has no chance.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c286d6340c1ca286bac05ad486acb6a.jpeg
Nike Air Zoom Vomero

Better than the nearly incomparable Air Max because, without visible air bladders, they won’t pop when the air temp creeps above 110°... which means the ground temp is pushing 120–130°.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b7e85301761fe7be6a4c79dcbdd16f9.jpeg
New Balance Vaadu

See the vents that look like dragon scales? See how many there are?? Vinyl shell cleans up in a jiffy, but those vents are soooooooo nice.

That New Balance Vaadu is nice!  Never seen that one!

Yes, the mesh is NOT EASY to clean up (despite @MadMax opinion) but remember folks, he lives in Phoenix!  But honestly .... it's that 'flat or matte' look that just doesn't sit right with me.  BUT, that's ME, that's personal.   Again, that NB Vaadu is nice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Always thought that shoe was really nice!!   Never sure about the velcro laces (although I am getting older :D )  ....but ........nice looking for sure!  Love the "NB plate shoe-patent-look"

The Velcro is great. It allows quick adjustments as your foot swells during the game. They are the one downside--they are a bit long; to get them to where they need to be, I have to pull them about to the white on the side of the shoe.

55 minutes ago, ATXBlue said:

Get TASO to allow highlighter yellow!

C’mon! There’s black on the shoe!

The Vaadu was one of the test-beds for the Fresh Foam that is now in the current 950 Base Shoe. I like it because the upkeep is a lot easier than ~polished~ leather. I’ve taken these on the road for summer inde-pro leagues, and I can drown them, bury them in mud, coat them with grass clippings, douse them with chalk... and all I need is to wipe them off with a rag, and they’re good to go.

11 minutes ago, MadMax said:

The Vaadu was one of the test-beds for the Fresh Foam that is now in the current 950 Base Shoe. I like it because the upkeep is a lot easier than ~polished~ leather. I’ve taken these on the road for summer inde-pro leagues, and I can drown them, bury them in mud, coat them with grass clippings, douse them with chalk... and all I need is to wipe them off with a rag, and they’re good to go.

Those are going to be my base shoes next season!  I'm currently using Nike Air Diamond Trainer's that I like, but they're starting to show a little age.  I also have a mesh pair of Adidas Speed Trainer's for really hot summer games.

• Like 1