John Tumpane #74 (skully)

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1293 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere previously but, Tumpane is on the plate tonight NYY @ CLE game 2 and he is wearing a skully but, I'm not sure which one. I can't post a TV shot but, maybe one of you can do so below.

Is there an umpire equipment tracking website out there? As these technologies evolve, it would be interesting to see the metrics and how this new approach to protection is or isn't being embraced.

~Dog

1 hour ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere previously but, Tumpane is on the plate tonight NYY @ CLE game 2 and he is wearing a skully but, I'm not sure which one. I can't post a TV shot but, maybe one of you can do so below.

Is there an umpire equipment tracking website out there? As these technologies evolve, it would be interesting to see the metrics and how this new approach to protection is or isn't being embraced.

~Dog

I’m wondering why he almost punches out swingIng third strikes. Not the same swinging strike he does normally. 

2 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

~Dog

It’s just a normal Rawlings coaching helmet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tpatience said:

That hammer is the backwards third strike mechanic he has always done. 

I didn’t think we would change swinging strike signals on a third strike. While not a punch out it seems a little different and a “showing up the batter”. Which is why we refrain from the punch out on a swinging third strike. 

2 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I didn’t think we would change swinging strike signals on a third strike. While not a punch out it seems a little different and a “showing up the batter”. Which is why we refrain from the punch out on a swinging third strike. 

It’s just his strike three mechanic? I don’t see what the issue is. It’s no different than any umpires unique mechanic 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Oh, do you mean when he throws his hand way up in the air? A bunch of MLB guys have been doing it. Kinda old school. Not a big deal

5 hours ago, tpatience said:

Oh, do you mean when he throws his hand way up in the air? A bunch of MLB guys have been doing it. Kinda old school. Not a big deal

and some are doing some stupid twisting motion when they do it too (cough-Guccione-cough) :rolleyes: ..... not a fan .....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

and some are doing some stupid twisting motion when they do it too (cough-Guccione-cough) :rolleyes: ..... not a fan .....

I'm not a fan either, but I'm a nobody and not in The Show so I don't have an opinion.  Sometimes that twist makes my back hurt watching it though.

And while I'm not sharing opinions, at least he's not directing train traffic like Angel's K-3 call. Arm up, arm down, pump arm back up. Reminds me of a train engineer flagging down the train because the bridge is out.

20 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I'm not a fan either, but I'm a nobody and not in The Show so I don't have an opinion.  Sometimes that twist makes my back hurt watching it though.

And while I'm not sharing opinions, at least he's not directing train traffic like Angel's K-3 call. Arm up, arm down, pump arm back up. Reminds me of a train engineer flagging down the train because the bridge is out.

Be careful here Keith .... just because your'e not an MLB umpire doesn't mean your voice/personal opinion is removed.  No one is saying it's "wrong" ...... it's just an opinion, and we're allowed to convey that ;) 

8 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Be careful here Keith .... just because you're not an MLB umpire doesn't mean your voice/personal opinion is removed.  No one is saying it's "wrong" ...... it's just an opinion, and we allowed to convey that ;) 

Oh, I don't mean here on U-E, but on other sites & FB pages I've seen if you make an opinion about anyone in MLB then they eject you quickly.   I have no doubts about their abilities versus mine, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.  I just find it a little funny that in our nation today while many have strong opinions about a wide variety of topics (many in areas that they have zero experience in) yet it is umpires who get all upset if someone critiques them or questions their mechanics.

Or maybe it's just me... I seem to be a foul mood this morning.  I'll make an effort to do, and be, better.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Oh, I don't mean here on U-E, but on other sites & FB pages I've seen if you make an opinion about anyone in MLB then they eject you quickly.   I have no doubts about their abilities versus mine, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.  I just find it a little funny that in our nation today while many have strong opinions about a wide variety of topics (many in areas that they have zero experience in) yet it is umpires who get all upset if someone critiques them or questions their mechanics.

Or maybe it's just me... I seem to be a foul mood this morning.  I'll make an effort to do, and be, better.

yeah, that's my point, actually.  I think that the FB pages go overboard also.  I understand their rules, but ...I think it's policed TOO much in that regard.  An opinion on an 'atypical' swinging strike 3 mechanic shouldn't be a big deal (shouldn't ;) )  Whatever.     And no .... you don't seem in a bad mood at all! :D 

• Thanks 1

Hi-jacking my own thread...hey, I'm the OP...I live here...

I find it fascinating that most associations (upon reviewing the traffic here...) really hammer the hammer. I'm not anti-hammer per se. I want as many games as you can give me. You want me to hammer? You...NEED me...to hammer? I'm your hammer huckleberry.

I find it interesting that while the hammer is what is being taught and emphasized for travel and scholastic (possibly LL, too and possibly above scholastic...I don't know, I don't work at those levels) that there is a point where guys can clearly let their freak flags fly on their 3K calls. Again, you are all on notice...video of my final game behind the plate ever will be all over the Internet the following day with the caption, "Amateur Umpire Goes Out With A Tribute To Dutch Rennert".

~Dog

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 7:30 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

I find it fascinating that most associations (upon reviewing the traffic here...) really hammer the hammer.

Ahem... “Ye shall use the hammer, for ye are not in a 4-man crew, nor shall ye be in this association*. Ye art doth but a mere umpling, and ye shall doeth your duty in the games we give you... and ye hast yet to prove ye mettle at seeing the broad lay of the field in your charge.”

... or something like that. I’m paraphrasing. 

*- not that the association doesn’t do 4-man; but surely you jest if you think you’ll be on those games.