I worked a game on fields with a lightning configuration I have never seen before and wanted to ask if anyone has ever seen this and why it's configured this way. This was a day game and the lights were off.

So, you have the standard light poles surrounding the field. And about halfway up each pole is another smaller, dual-lamp fixture with the lamps pointing straight UP. I have seen this where these supplemental lights are straight DOWN but, never in this UP configuration. I don't know how long it's been since these lights were installed but, those fields have been there at least 40 years now. Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?

~Dog

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

uhhh………...  

Thanks, @Rich Ives... @maven, I just obsessive compulsively whipped up a giant batch of mashed potatoes...you want some? ~Dog

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I worked a game on fields with a lightning configuration I have never seen before and wanted to ask if anyone has ever seen this and why it's configured this way. This was a day game and the lights were off.

So, you have the standard light poles surrounding the field. And about halfway up each pole is another smaller, dual-lamp fixture with the lamps pointing straight UP. I have seen this where these supplemental lights are straight DOWN but, never in this UP configuration. I don't know how long it's been since these lights were installed but, those fields have been there at least 40 years now. Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?

~Dog

So you can see fly balls. It was common in the "old days" for fly balls to go up over the lights and disappear so these would have been added to help fix the problem.

Great, another new mechanic/signal I have to learn?

giphy.gif

Slightly off-topic, but to me the greatest scene in one of the greatest movies is actually the air-traffic controller scene.  I don't know why, but that scene just comes off as so real and authentic.

• 4 weeks later...