Foul Tip: Rule Change 2020 OBR

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1277 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Two important things to point out regarding this rule change:

1. There are two other participants in the home plate area that affect this rule, which we’ll need clarification on. With them expanding the scope of the rule to include all of the catcher’s body, if the ball subsequently touches us (the umpire) or the batter before being secured by the catcher (but before touching the ground... or a very close backstop) is it still a Foul Tip Strike?
  2. While it uses the similar definition of a caught live batted ball (such as a pop-up, or liner), it is a Foul Tip Strike... just as before in regards to Runners stealing. It remains Live, and they do not have to tag up (or are liable to be put out in appeal).

I can just see some umpire getting that wrong. :Facepalm:

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

1. There are two other participants in the home plate area that affect this rule, which we’ll need clarification on. With them expanding the scope of the rule to include all of the catcher’s body, if the ball subsequently touches us (the umpire) or the batter before being secured by the catcher (but before touching the ground... or a very close backstop) is it still a Foul Tip Strike?
  2. While it uses the similar definition of a caught live batted ball (such as a pop-up, or liner), it is a Foul Tip Strike... just as before in regards to Runners stealing. It remains Live, and they do not have to tag up (or are liable to be put out in appeal).

I don’t think we need clarification if you read all of the thread and the threads referenced and the links referenced in the other threads. 

On 9/25/2020 at 7:53 PM, MadMax said:

It still has to be legally caught in flight... if a batted ball hits the umpire or batter, is it in flight?

44 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

It still has to be legally caught in flight... if a batted ball hits the umpire or batter, is it in flight?

The thread has enough rulings if you read everything. I would ask you if a batted ball that went sharp and direct to the catchers mask or chest protector could be caught for a foul tip before this change.