Cobalt CP Impressions

Recontra
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1283 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Wanted to give this chest protector 5 Stars, but can’t. Those protruding side “wings” on the lower abdomen extension (love handle protectors) are unnecessary, stick out, hit the forearms, and are annoying. I hope All Star loses them or figures a way to hold them against the body, or makes them removable. I would cut them off but there’s no practical way to do that, especially with the air chamber padding. The rest of the lower abdomen extension (for long torso people) is perfect—covers that center lower abdominal area to belly button or even just below extremely well, and sits tight against the body/gut like the rest of the protector. But honestly, we don’t need protection for the love handles like we want protection for the central lower abdomen—hard shots there burn a long time and can still knock the wind out of us a bit. Most blows to the love handles are glancing. The rest of this chest protector gets 5+ Stars—and is darn near perfect in my opinion. It feels light, enables and does not restrict mobility, breathes extremely well, has removable and cleanable pads, is low profile, fits very snuggly, is comfortable, is very easy to put on and buckle, is easy to adjust, and provides top notch protection from straight high speed shots. I gave it to my partner, and he took a foul back shot that was probably 80 mph (18u men’s league):  “I didn’t even feel it!”  This protector is perfect, perfect, perfect, but for those protruding love handle wings—and those are a little bit annoying. They are also unnecessary and unwanted—that’s just muscle and fat tissue, no organs—we can all withstand the occasional glancing blow there, just like we can and will take occasional shots to the arms. Sorry to hammer those protruding wings so hard, it’s just that this thing is otherwise so close to perfection. And that’s just one umpire’s initial impression.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Recontra said:

Sorry to hammer those protruding wings so hard, it’s just that this thing is otherwise so close to perfection. And that’s just one umpire’s initial impression.

Yeah, but how did you like the wings? :fuel:

I'm looking forward to getting one in my hands and trying it out!

• Like 1

Let me know if you want to sell it used ;)..

I just got the S7 AS CP and it had these 2 little wings on the side. I used it 3 times and after the 1st time they kept sticking out.  So before my last 2 games I checked and they were velcro'd on so yep off they came. YAY.  But as Wolfie mentioned  I too want one to try out myself but me myself and I will be waiting till this winter, maybe tax time to get it.

2 hours ago, Recontra said:

Sorry to hammer those protruding wings so hard, it’s just that this thing is otherwise so close to perfection. And that’s just one umpire’s initial impression.

Your sentiment isn’t unique... the Test Guinea... pig? ... uhm... more like Test Guinea Giraffe@tpatience had the same feedback, and notified both @Razzer and me about it. Ray and I arrived at similar solutions – Ray’s already shared the solution with AS, while I can modify existing models as needed. If you’re one that needs the extension, then yeah, it’s a bit of an inconvenience, and something AS should have thought of... but it’s not a dealbreaker for me (I’ll never need the extension).

2 hours ago, Recontra said:

I hope All Star loses them or figures a way to hold them against the body, or makes them removable. I would cut them off but there’s no practical way to do that, especially with the air chamber padding. The rest of the lower abdomen extension (for long torso people) is perfect—covers that center lower abdominal area to belly button or even just below extremely well, and sits tight against the body/gut like the rest of the protector. 

I admire the reasoning behind and execution of the extension. It, and the width adjustability in the shoulders and neck on the unit, make the need for multiple sizes (read: lengths) of CP unnecessary, saving AS money, making it more efficient for resellers to stock & sell through it, and easier for you to loan it or resell it (but why would you?). That’s one of the principle, glaring flaws and detriments to both the Wilson Gold and Platinum – there are multiple sizes, and even in these sizes, they don’t project low enough. And, they don’t host an extension, unless you alter it significantly. So what do those guys who want to protect their tummy do? 
Wear it wrong! And, it’s only made that much worse (or easier to wear wrong) due to that pathetic harness (the disc)... which Wilson still won’t replace! 

So yeah, the CoPU5K is the real deal, for just about every umpire. Now to get those extension tips(?) / wings(?) / ends(?) addressed... and get this rig on TV.

#TimeForANewStarOftheShow

4 hours ago, Recontra said:

Wanted to give this chest protector 5 Stars, but can’t. Those protruding side “wings” on the lower abdomen extension (love handle protectors) are unnecessary, stick out, hit the forearms, and are annoying. I hope All Star loses them or figures a way to hold them against the body, or makes them removable. I would cut them off but there’s no practical way to do that, especially with the air chamber padding. The rest of the lower abdomen extension (for long torso people) is perfect—covers that center lower abdominal area to belly button or even just below extremely well, and sits tight against the body/gut like the rest of the protector. But honestly, we don’t need protection for the love handles like we want protection for the central lower abdomen—hard shots there burn a long time and can still knock the wind out of us a bit. Most blows to the love handles are glancing. The rest of this chest protector gets 5+ Stars—and is darn near perfect in my opinion. It feels light, enables and does not restrict mobility, breathes extremely well, has removable and cleanable pads, is low profile, fits very snuggly, is comfortable, is very easy to put on and buckle, is easy to adjust, and provides top notch protection from straight high speed shots. I gave it to my partner, and he took a foul back shot that was probably 80 mph (18u men’s league):  “I didn’t even feel it!”  This protector is perfect, perfect, perfect, but for those protruding love handle wings—and those are a little bit annoying. They are also unnecessary and unwanted—that’s just muscle and fat tissue, no organs—we can all withstand the occasional glancing blow there, just like we can and will take occasional shots to the arms. Sorry to hammer those protruding wings so hard, it’s just that this thing is otherwise so close to perfection. And that’s just one umpire’s initial impression.

I took mine off but am 5’11” so was not a factor. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Your sentiment isn’t unique... the Test Guinea... pig? ... uhm... more like Test Guinea Giraffe@tpatience had the same feedback, and notified both @Razzer and me about it. Ray and I arrived at similar solutions – Ray’s already shared the solution with AS, while I can modify existing models as needed. If you’re one that needs the extension, then yeah, it’s a bit of an inconvenience, and something AS should have thought of... but it’s not a dealbreaker for me (I’ll never need the extension).

I admire the reasoning behind and execution of the extension. It, and the width adjustability in the shoulders and neck on the unit, make the need for multiple sizes (read: lengths) of CP unnecessary, saving AS money, making it more efficient for resellers to stock & sell through it, and easier for you to loan it or resell it (but why would you?). That’s one of the principle, glaring flaws and detriments to both the Wilson Gold and Platinum – there are multiple sizes, and even in these sizes, they don’t project low enough. And, they don’t host an extension, unless you alter it significantly. So what do those guys who want to protect their tummy do? 
Wear it wrong! And, it’s only made that much worse (or easier to wear wrong) due to that pathetic harness (the disc)... which Wilson still won’t replace! 

So yeah, the CoPU5K is the real deal, for just about every umpire. Now to get those extension tips(?) / wings(?) / ends(?) addressed... and get this rig on TV.

#TimeForANewStarOftheShow

So....hang on .......the "wings" are only an issue if you wear it with the extension?  Am I reading this right? :HS 

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

So....hang on .......the "wings" are only an issue if you wear it with the extension?  Am I reading this right? :HS 

Alright, so as we know, the Cobalt CPU5K, like any other hard-shell CP, is comprised of a hard plastic carapace attached to a padding vest. While the original Douglas WestVest (which became the Wilson WestVest) utilized the padding vest as the foundation, with the carapace plates stuck to it, the Cobalt CPU5K is a evolutionary reversal, using the carapace as a true exoskeleton, and the padding modules are attached to it. The anchoring buckles are attached to the center torso plate, approximately where your diaphragm is, on two leads riveted into the center torso plate. These anchoring straps and buckles lead off to and connect the harness. Beneath them are these "wings", or flanks of padding modules, complete with guide loops to pass the harness strap through and hold it in place. When secured, the padding conforms to you like a jacket. More and more CPs are doing this, less behaving like shop aprons like most antiquated CPs did (Cooper, Wilson, etc.).

The extension on the Cobalt CPU5K actually sockets into the base unit to create a ~nearly~ smooth transition between the pieces. These same flanks on the extension, though, don't have anything to secure to, nor do they have a strap holding them down. So, they tend to bulge out. How would @Razzer and I fix it?... Well... I don't want to go into details, because as The Joker says during The Dark Knight, "If you're good at something, never do it for free." There is a solution. All-Star could have included it, but due to oversight (and not intent), it's lacking. If I wanted it as a permanent solution – as in, I would want the extension to be on there for the duration of my use of it – I can make the modification with a drill and 4 Chicago Screws. 

If, however, I wanted to add the extension and really secure the fit... I'd need that drill, 2 Chicago Screws, a pair of Side Release buckles, some 1.5" nylon strap, a chef's torch (or a blowtorch), a cheap awl... and put in a request to Ray to make a custom harness.

Or, I suppose, a "cheap & easy" remedy is to tug a compression shirt on over the CP... but that's kinda silly in 90º+ temperatures. Besides, why wear more layers when you can just drill, baby, drill?!

EDIT: I watched Ump-Attire's video, and it surprised me... this extension actually is attached to the body unit by screws!! Who else does that??!! Nobody!! After seeing a few more nifty characteristics, I need to amend my work list: I only need 4 Chicago Screws.

10 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

If anyone could compare the Cobalt to the CPU4000 on how well they both handle hard shots it would be much appreciated!

Mine's coming next week. I have a CPU4000, a baseball Gorilla glued to the end of a golf club shaft, and a 6'4" son who hit a drive 320yds last week. 

Stand by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MadMax said:

Alright, so as we know, the Cobalt CPU5K, like any other hard-shell CP, is comprised of a hard plastic carapace attached to a padding vest. While the original Douglas WestVest (which became the Wilson WestVest) utilized the padding vest as the foundation, with the carapace plates stuck to it, the Cobalt CPU5K is a evolutionary reversal, using the carapace as a true exoskeleton, and the padding modules are attached to it. The anchoring buckles are attached to the center torso plate, approximately where your diaphragm is, on two leads riveted into the center torso plate. These anchoring straps and buckles lead off to and connect the harness. Beneath them are these "wings", or flanks of padding modules, complete with guide loops to pass the harness strap through and hold it in place. When secured, the padding conforms to you like a jacket. More and more CPs are doing this, less behaving like shop aprons like most antiquated CPs did (Cooper, Wilson, etc.).

The extension on the Cobalt CPU5K actually sockets into the base unit to create a ~nearly~ smooth transition between the pieces. These same flanks on the extension, though, don't have anything to secure to, nor do they have a strap holding them down. So, they tend to bulge out. How would @Razzer and I fix it?... Well... I don't want to go into details, because as The Joker says during The Dark Knight, "If you're good at something, never do it for free." There is a solution. All-Star could have included it, but due to oversight (and not intent), it's lacking. If I wanted it as a permanent solution – as in, I would want the extension to be on there for the duration of my use of it – I can make the modification with a drill and 4 Chicago Screws. 

If, however, I wanted to add the extension and really secure the fit... I'd need that drill, 2 Chicago Screws, a pair of Side Release buckles, some 1.5" nylon strap, a chef's torch (or a blowtorch), a cheap awl... and put in a request to Ray to make a custom harness.

Or, I suppose, a "cheap & easy" remedy is to tug a compression shirt on over the CP... but that's kinda silly in 90º+ temperatures. Besides, why wear more layers when you can just drill, baby, drill?!

EDIT: I watched Ump-Attire's video, and it surprised me... this extension actually is attached to the body unit by screws!! Who else does that??!! Nobody!! After seeing a few more nifty characteristics, I need to amend my work list: I only need 4 Chicago Screws.

So, is that a 'yes' to my question?! LOL

9 hours ago, kylejt said:

a baseball Gorilla glued to the end of a golf club shaft, and a 6'4" son who hit a drive 320yds last week. Stand by. 

Don’t pull a Jim Evans.

And wear your cup. Can never be too careful.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

So, is that a 'yes' to my question?! LOL

Yes, that’s a “Yes.” The entire lower extension with the flapping wings is removable with a screw driver. Looking forward to seeing Razzer’s and MadMax’s solution (and, yes, I’d pay for that valuable knowledge :-).  I actually gifted my new Cobalt to my Partner b4 our 1st game on Saturday, a great younger college umpire whose 1st son was born last week, and is one of my favorite partners (as well as a great mentor). I was going to get him one anyway. He is shorter than me, but long in the torso. He did like the center part of the lower extension, but not the wings. He’s now removed the lower extension and loves it. Replaces an older Platinum for him.

I will buy another one for me—just waiting on All Star or one of you “Custom Shop” guys can fix the flap issue, because it is currently a deal breaker for me. But the rest of that CP is absolutely perfect IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Guys, a very easy and cheap fix is a back supporter... just get a really thin one that breathes well.  I've used them on CP's before when I felt the harness wasn't doing enough for me (pre-UL harness).  I now keep one with me in case anything snaps or breaks.  It's attached to itself via Velcro like a large flexible belt... and it has the added benefit of lower back support if you need it.  It should hold those "wings" tight against your ribs for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1