NVR SEEN B4

Double Up
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1281 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

rule set :  doesn't matter

Wow!

Today had R2 stealing on what became ball 4.   BR  get's hit by the throw from the catcher as he vacates the right hand hitters box. on the way to 1B.   what the correct call? 

I honestly just made up a call and punched R2.  some  "umpire" in grand stand made a comment about the catcher throwing down from his knees as if that mattered.... suggesting that b/c he threw from his knee their was no interference. 

6 minutes ago, Double Up said:

Wow!

Today had R2 stealing on what became ball 4.   BR  get's hit by the throw from the catcher as he vacates the right hand hitters box. on the way to 1B.   what the correct call? 

I honestly just made up a call and punched R2.  some  "umpire" in grand stand made a comment about the catcher throwing down from his knees as if that mattered.... suggesting that b/c he threw from his knee their was no interference. 

This is nothing. The throw struck a runner, so absent intent, it's not interference. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is nothing. The throw struck a runner, so absent intent, it's not interference. 

interstering, b/c its runner now...   rather than a batter who falls over the plate and interferes w/ a throw down to 2B on a base stealer.

Here’s the official interpretation that can be found in the 2016 BRD (section 290, p. 190):

Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  After ball four, a batter becomes a runner. Since the ball is not batted, any hindrance that occurs on the catcher or the catcher’s throw must be intentional for interference to be called.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Here’s the official interpretation that can be found in the 2016 BRD (section 290, p. 190):

Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  After ball four, a batter becomes a runner. Since the ball is not batted, any hindrance that occurs on the catcher or the catcher’s throw must be intentional for interference to be called.

THAT'S WHY i CAME TO THE SOURCE!   APPRECIATE YOUR GUIDANCE

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Double Up said:

I don't mean to be too harsh, since this is the "newbie" section and at least you had the sense to find the correct ruling (and it's unlikely the person is the grandstand did), but three words:

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

I don't mean to be too harsh, since this is the "newbie" section and at least you had the sense to find the correct ruling (and it's unlikely the person is the grandstand did), but three words:

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

irony GIF

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

I even walked over told them that i didnt know and made up some SH*#....  and soon as i was finished, everyone was the expert

12 minutes ago, Double Up said:

I even walked over told them that i didnt know and made up some SH*#....  and soon as i was finished, everyone was the expert

I think in the future maybe say...  "I've never had that happen before and I am going to go and get into the rule book, I want to get it right."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Double Up said:

It might matter. FED is stricter about this. HS rules have a case play where the batter throws his bat after ball 4, strikes the ball, and allows runners to advance. IIRC it's ruled interference.

If you were going to call someone out for INT here, you'd always want to call out the player who committed the infraction (unless he's already out, say for a strikeout, and then you could get the other guy).

Also: please, no L33T here.

• Like 1

Not to belabor a thread that's gone astray, but: This was ball four. The runner stealing second and possibly being thrown out is irrelevant unless the catcher's throw went awry and the runners could advance further than 1B/2B. In that case I agree with the above cites that unless the batter's action was intentional...