Sign in to follow this  
SeeingEyeDog

Sometimes we get paid with smiles

A few weeks ago, I was calling a youth travel game. I was on the plate. About two innings in I was very aware of a maternal voice behind the fence saying, "Yes, honey. That's the man with the blue shirt. He's the umpire. He's working right now. He can't talk to you." Skip forward to the end of the game and I hear a small child's voice say, "Hi, umpire!" It took me a moment to realize it was a 3 year old boy right up against the fence, about knee high to me. His wee fingers wrapped tightly around the mesh of the fence. I look down and say hello and ask him his name and he says, "Steven..." I asked him if he had a good time at the park that day and if he plays baseball and he said, "Momma says we are here to watch Nate. But, I am here to watch you..." He then added that he wanted to be an umpire someday.

I had no choice but to spray and wipe down my indicator and then bend down and push it through the fence to him and say, "Well, Steven...", I said, "if you're going to be an umpire, you're going to need one of these..."

To paraphrase William Goldman...Since the invention of the smile, there have been only 5 smiles that were rated the most happy, the most pure. This one left them all behind.

This particular field is a grueling uphill and downhill walk back to the parking lot. I walked a little brisker that day back to the car. It must have been the weight I shed handing off that indicator. Also, the trail was a lot more "dusty" walking back than I remembered when I arrived...

A great opportunity to film a new Coca-Cola ad was missed that day.

~Dog

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Dog!  

I got 2 games this Sat both LL fall ball minors, meaning a good mix of 7 yr olds included in this as they will be 8 next yr.  Believe me you use your head more in these games then you do your legs.  Anyway after 2 games the local leagues treasurer, whom was the 2nd HT's Manager also, we got to BSing a little while I waited for a check from him. He was also grounds worker that day and was dragging the infield.  Well after our laughs about stuff that went on during the game which turned to covid concerns and the over all way that play is now trying to deal with it and continue playing.  After that solemn note He says well let me get you your pay. I said "Eh wait, You got any parents that struggle to pay for their kids with the league."  He says "Yeah we do have one single mom with 4 boys that has a very hard time."  I said " Give it to her towards her fees".   He thanked me and I said no worries have a good night.

I'm gonna do this all year at that location.  I do hope it actually goes towards her kids fees.

• Like 3

Oh man...no, no, no @ArchAngel72. THAT was a nice one!

If you ever have any doubts about whether your money gets to the right person or not, either identify a family yourself who needs financial assistance for their child and give them the money directly OR...hand your money personally to the league treasurer and say, "This is a donation for your scholarship fund for any families who can't afford league fees."

• Like 3