Jimurray

El Mago scores from 1B on a strikeout

no BI-catcher moved quickly over to his left and had quick and unhindered release and follow through before the batter might have leaned into him and made contact. had catcher gone up the middle of the plate, he would have been more likely to have been interfered with by the batter leaning in and would have hit him or his arm or hand on release. But if the rule says that is BI on the play, then it is BI.

4 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

no BI-catcher moved quickly over to his left and had quick and unhindered release and follow through before the batter might have leaned into him and made contact. had catcher gone up the middle of the plate, he would have been more likely to have been interfered with by the batter leaning in and would have hit him or his arm or hand on release. But if the rule says that is BI on the play, then it is BI.

You are fine tuning and rationalizing because it’s an MLB ump. That should be called BI

1 minute ago, Jimurray said:

You are fine tuning and rationalizing because it’s an MLB ump. That should be called BI

Same answer no matter what level or who umpire is. But if by rule that should be BI, then it is BI no matter the umpire or level and the MLB umpire missed it.

If I am wrong and missed it then I am wrong and missed it.

12 hours ago, Jimurray said:

I have a hunch, Jim, that if we change the context to a NCAA game – different uniforms, different umpires, same situation – that gets called BI more often than not.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, dumbdumb said:

Agree.

Can't be interference if there was no hindrance. 

4 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Agree.

Can't be interference if there was no hindrance. 

The release was "unhindered" because he let it go early with a helmet in the way. I'm getting that at any level.