Shirts and undershirts

SeeingEyeDog

Greetings brothers,

I've always worn Under Armour Heat Gear undershirts during the summer. This weekend I was told by a partner, "We wear red undershirts in this association...next time, wear red." I was noticing that ChamPro makes a Lightning Half Sleeve Compression shirt for a few bucks less than UA's Heat Gear. Is anyone wearing these ChamPro Compression shirts and if so, please share your thoughts.

Currently my locker is Smitty shirts exclusively. I'd like to broaden my color selection a bit because while there seems to be some "misinformation" out there about my association's preferred under shirt, one thing that is clearly stipulated is that during the summer we are free to wear any color shirt we like as long as the crew matches. For the purposes of discussion....Price being no object, what is your preferred shirt vendor and why and what other manufacturer's shirts should be considered?

~Dog

Navy and Light Blue are our two most popular colors and I have those already. Cream seems to also be a popular choice and I'd also like to get pink with October coming up. There are some crazy bastards out there who travel with many, many shirts in multiple sizes and colors so they can suggest unusual colors...and then be able to supply their partners. I'm not sure I'm up for wearing a used shirt...thanks, though. :huh:

I'd love to try tie-dyed or floral but...I don't think anyone needs to see that. Maybe a night game? When the lights don't work? :meditation:

~Dog

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimurray said:

I think you're joking... and I certainly hope you are.  I'm no traditionalist, but I'm not ready for whatever pink/salmon/raspberry color that is that he is wearing either.

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm a Majestic, and now Smitty, guy 100%.

If you are looking for colors "out of the norm." You can't do worse than Officials Choice. Home of umpire shirts in every color, hue, and pattern you could EVER want. And many more you probably shouldn't. 

OC is about done now.  Very few shirts available in most sizes.  Sure, they have the XXXXXXL and XS in stock, but no 'regular' sizes.   The only place to scoop these up now seems to be eBay.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

OC is about done now.  Very few shirts available in most sizes.  Sure, they have the XXXXXXL and XS in stock, but no 'regular' sizes.   The only place to scoop these up now seems to be eBay.

it's a shame because, their shirt quality DID GET BETTER over time, and it was THE PLACE to add shirts to the "tournament arsenal" for when you needed just about "ANY" color :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

it's a shame because, their shirt quality DID GET BETTER over time, and it was THE PLACE to add shirts to the "tournament arsenal" for when you needed just about "ANY" color :)

Yes, and I liked their shirts, breathed very well in the heat. It seems like they're basically selling whatever is left and then I assume they'll be out-of-business.  The only shirt they have left in a L or XL is the maroon/burgundy.  All of the others shirts are only offered in mostly S, XXL or XXXL; there are a select one or two offering M also.   Nothing in XL or L except the maroon one.

To bring this back on topic,  my shirt collection is now entirely Smitty.   I like OC and Majestic also, but no one in my area has anything but Smitty black, MLB blue, powder blue with navy trim (aka softball) and navy shirts.  Occasionally, some have cream, light grey and maybe a red; however no one but one or two guys has anything beyond that.  To this point, I have seen one guy in the new pants being offered, so I'm still rocking my poly-wools year-round too so I can match my partners.

For undershirts, I like Majestic a lot, but I hate the pricing due to MLB logo, so I use other gear.  I'm sure Champro's under apparel is fine.  I have found that most of the spandex under-shirts are very similar in fit and material.  I'm beginning to suspect it's like the grocery store brand stuff.  They use the left over fabric and make the same shirt, but then stick their brand on it instead of the BIG NAME brand logo.  Right now, I'm using a cheap $10 under-shirt off of eBay that seem to be holding up very well and fits just as good as the Majestic. They have them in many colors, just go up one size as they are sized for the Asian market.  I normally do that with Nike too, so no big deal for me.

I want to dress snazzier with OC or Majestic shirts and colors and rock the new Smitty pants, but if I did I would have spent a lot more money on gear that I'd never be able to use as no one has them in my area.  I think someone said the average HS official in Ohio is 54.  I'm not saying we're old, but change is hard.  We're still navy for HS baseball and softball... no other choice.  I'm still surprised we're allowed a little white on our shoes (blue guide book says "mostly black").

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

This weekend I was told by a partner, "We wear red undershirts in this association...next time, wear red."

Ohhh nooooo... 

image.gif.1becb2bf7e088d61613fc975d481b209.gif

You’ve got pedantic, very particular fellas in this association of yours. As any of my Cooperstown Dreams Park (CDP) colleagues will recognize, these guys fashion themselves “Dreamcrushers” :rolleyes: . I took to calling them Red-throats. We should be dressing smartly, cleanly, and with a professional presentation, but if we’re really requiring our colleagues to wear a particular shade of undershirt as some kind of secret handshake, pledge pin, or merit badge of membership... well, I usually see that as the mark, or symptom, of poorly defined priorities.

13 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

... one thing that is clearly stipulated is that during the summer we are free to wear any color shirt we like as long as the crew matches.

Navy and Light Blue are our two most popular colors and I have those already...

It’s like some twisted Henry Ford mandate – “You can wear any color, but navy’s all you’ll need.” Lemme guess, the “light blue” is with navy and white trim stripes? Yep, that’s Softball Powder. While we’re on the subject of archaic colors, all this bullish!t of guys claiming that “we wear powder / light blue when it’s hottttttt, navy when it’s cooooooler” are subscribing to a myth. There is no discernible temperature difference created or affected by what color shirt you wear. These same guys who whine and complain, and propagate this myth, are those who wear sofa cushion foam CPs, cotton undershirts, and fifteen year old Cliff Keen umpire shirts that lost any wicking or breathability properties they had after their first laundering in Tide or all-temperature Cheer.

Don’t even ask for the “rant” tag :ranton:. You guys should know by now I’m ranting all the time.

Can you/we wear black in daylight? Sure! I’m just not going to prefer it, because I don’t want that $40 f#€ker to fade. 

So yeah, many of us on “the circuit” have a wide spectrum of colors and styles, in multiples. @KenBAZ can attest and concur, I have some 25-30 shirts, ranging from 5 styles of black, to 3 styles of sky blue, to 2 styles of gray, to Bermuda blue, to Cream, to Maroon, to Olive Drab, to 2 styles of camo, to Pink. Yes, I have Pink. When I was in my late 20’s, I lost my then-GF to ovarian cancer. I was sent a pink shirt by Paul Anderson, the proprietor of The Official’s Choice. I wear it for specific, special occasions.

Do I have a navy shirt? Do I have red shirt? Yup, both in the 2010 vertical stripe style, courtesy of TOC. Do I wear them? Not unless under dire circumstances.

I also have long-sleeved black shirts, in 3 different styles. Ye shall not wear jackets on Plate. For this reason, I own a navy long sleeve shirt. It sees even less use than my navy short-sleeve shirt.

To that end, I have Majestics, Honig’s, and TOC shirts predominantly. I even have a couple of +POS shirts. Only this year I added Smitty shirts in the 2016 panel-style, because that’s what the NWL provided to us. Even my AIA HS shirt is a Honig’s. I like what their products, but the shirts and ball bags could do without that obtuse, oversized fashion tag. Cliff Keen shirts will never touch my skin. I don’t care how cheap they are, I don’t care if they’re the last vestige of navy shirts with red & white trim, their shirts are heavy, are cut and drape like boxes, and they breathe like a burlap sack.

As far as undershirts go, the world’s your oyster. Really it is. Just don’t be one of those guys who insists on wearing a white undershirt (it matches the last trim stripe, don’t it?), or is sooooo enamored with the mock-turtleneck look that he wears a dickie. I myself use Nike Pro Combat or Hypercool shirts. I’ve been known to wear UnderArmour Charged Cotton shirts before. Other guys will swear by the Major League way, and favor New Balance. Dicks Sporting Goods has an entire line of compression gear and technical attire (DSG), and it works pretty well.

• Like 1

Great topic, I am looking to upgrade so I am interested in others answers. I agree with @MadMax on the undershirts, anything that is made to wick sweat and breathe has treated me well here in TX. Both my associations are black undershirts fall and winter, with the option of white in the summer. The white shirt bit has never made sense to me because the undershirt is not exposed to the sun and absorbing heat but I digress.  

Question to throw out there...Has anyone tried the Honig's version of the MLB shirts? I have only seen them at a couple places online but like that they do not have a big logo on the back and have liked Honig's shirts in other styles. 

I'm sorry I agitated you, Max. That was not my intent. Thank you as always for your input.

Yep...my local brothers are pedantic, particular fellas. It's a carry over from their day jobs. I don't work that day job so, those values don't apply to me. I know what the regs are and I have never been dinged for my appearance. I just think of other things when the conversations turn in the direction of "proper" undershirts.

Michael Scott...good times...

~Dog

• Like 1

I'm sorry I agitated you, Max. That was not my intent. Thank you as always for your input.

Yep...my local brothers are pedantic, particular fellas. It's a carry over from their day jobs. I don't work that day job so, those values don't apply to me. I know what the regs are and I have never been dinged for my appearance. I just think of other things when the conversations turn in the direction of "proper" undershirts.

Michael Scott...good times...

~Dog

54 minutes ago, ATXBlue said:

Great topic, I am looking to upgrade so I am interested in others answers. I agree with @MadMax on the undershirts, anything that is made to wick sweat and breathe has treated me well here in TX. Both my associations are black undershirts fall and winter, with the option of white in the summer. The white shirt bit has never made sense to me because the undershirt is not exposed to the sun and absorbing heat but I digress.  

Question to throw out there...Has anyone tried the Honig's version of the MLB shirts? I have only seen them at a couple places online but like that they do not have a big logo on the back and have liked Honig's shirts in other styles. 

I have a couple of Honigs and they are extremely comfortable.  I also use their undershirts.  They are much nicer since they shortened the length of the sleeves.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Greetings brothers,

I've always worn Under Armour Heat Gear undershirts during the summer. This weekend I was told by a partner, "We wear red undershirts in this association...next time, wear red." I was noticing that ChamPro makes a Lightning Half Sleeve Compression shirt for a few bucks less than UA's Heat Gear. Is anyone wearing these ChamPro Compression shirts and if so, please share your thoughts.

Currently my locker is Smitty shirts exclusively. I'd like to broaden my color selection a bit because while there seems to be some "misinformation" out there about my association's preferred under shirt, one thing that is clearly stipulated is that during the summer we are free to wear any color shirt we like as long as the crew matches. For the purposes of discussion....Price being no object, what is your preferred shirt vendor and why and what other manufacturer's shirts should be considered?

~Dog

Those half sleeve compression shirts from Champro that you mentioned are really nice. And you guys know I don’t oversell things.

We were very fortunate that a manufacturer had multiple colors, for all umpire requests for a reasonable wholesale cost. That’s what led us to these Champro shirts.

They are well-priced, which is no indication that they are anything less than high-quality. But, disclaimer, not everyone will like the half-sleeve style.

Would love for you or someone to pick them up and share a review.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATXBlue said:

Has anyone tried the Honig's version of the MLB shirts?

Yup, like @umpstu notes, the Honig’s shirts, in the 2016 MLB panel-style are very nice. Until Smitty’s recently reformulated their fabric for the Version II panel shirts, Honig’s 2010 Vertical Stripe and 2016 Panel shirts were second best to Majestic. Happily, Honig’s also used this new fabric on their “classic” shirts, too.

I like Honig’s cut, sizing, and drape. Their collars are typically smaller. The only thing I don’t dig on them is the obtuse, oversized fabric tag. It’s pathetic. It could be a quarter the size, and still be too big.

While I get most of my gear needs from Ump-Attire, I still do favor getting umpire shirts from Honig’s (since TOC has gone dormant), along with ball bags and mask harnesses. Until @Razzer rolled out his own mask harness, I hadn’t been able to find anyone making and selling a better, more discreet mask harness – in both black and navy – than Honig’s and +POS.

I have not purchased Honigs stuff since they closed their location here in Salem, Oregon. The last shirts I got from them were the 2010 light blue style shirts (I had the 2010 majestic black already). The fit and cut of the shirt were great. My major issue came with the length of the sleeves! When the length of the sleeves on the shirt is shorter than the length of YOUR OWN undershirts, that is a MAJOR problem! 

Do Honig's fit better now?  The only few I've tried fit me small.  Meaning I'm an XL in Majestic and Smitty, but a Honig's XL fits me tighter.  I can hardly get a CP under it, but it looks good on the bases.   This has me afraid to drop the money on their shirts and pants as I'm afraid they won't fit me right now either... and Honig's doesn't do free shipping or free returns.

I love their mask pads, but have to make it worth my time as something as simple as a set of pads quickly goes from $30 to almost $45 after shipping & taxes.

For undershirts, I actually like the "Athletic Works" brand "DriWorks" style shirts from Wal-Mart. Inexpensive and work well. They don't feel like the typical compression shirt material, but I like them.

I liked them enough that I also bought Athletic Works black socks when I needed to buy some this summer. And that's when I remembered that high quality in one line does not equate to all others. But hey, now I have plenty of black socks I can use for volleyball (where I only stand and walk, rather than run).

• Like 2

I have a couple under armor ones.  One I got that was long sleeve black and then I got a short sleeve compression heat one that I love. The Long sleeve I wore 2 times and thru away.

Wash the damn thing and it would turn itself inside out ever time you dried it, EVEN if it was all by its lonesome and you threw a couple dryer sheets in with it. by doing so It would collect every piece of hair, lint, whatever else and when you turned it outside too, it was dirtier on the outside than when you put it in the wash. Yep frustrated as all get out thru it out.

I do have another that the District Mgr got us for doing the state finals.  Its nice fits well but it doesn't seem to shed heat like the UA one does.